• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on bonding please

Luyelps

New Kit
Hi all
New to the site and fairly new to buns, we have at present 2 ladies, Millie who we think is about 2 ( we got her from a rescue about 18 months back, was previously bonded to stew our other rescue bun, who sadly passed 8 months back just after we moved to france) and blueberry who is 6 months, millies new companion ( took about 3 weeks and many car rides to get them to be friends). They live in an 8 x 12 insulated shed with many toys, boxes, hides, tunnels.

Problem:
We have a friend who helps out on our farm, he has been missing for a few days, he lives about 20 mins away, when we went round incase he was sick, we noticed he had a bunny in an outside hutch, it's about 5 ft long but not high enough for the bun to stand up in, there was no food or hay, so we nipped back home grabbed some supplies and headed back, we nipped in on the bun everyday for a week, just cleaning out and feeding, when we last went we saw another neighbour there and the police, the neighbour said he'd look after the bun as he lived nearer, the police took our details, 3 days later we got a call from the UK police, they don't give anything away but it seems he has done something silly and it looks like he will not be coming home anytime soon, we've since been to check on the bun and found her without food or water and needing a clean out, so looks like the other neighbour didn't do as he said, France isn't the same as the UK and the way animals are treated here makes my heart grieve, we can give this bun a home temporary or for life depending on our friends outcome, but we are unsure how to go about this, I was thinking of sectioning off a third of the shed with strong mesh so the buns can see each other and sorting out supervised outdoor time together to see how they progress, the new bun isn't neutered as we have been told she'd been bred from in the past ( will this cause a problem behaviour wise?) she's a big bun, I've no idea of age, I have been told she use to live with another female but she passed as she was old with birthing complications, but how much of this is true or relevant I don't know, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, it wouldn't bother me nipping up to feed and clean her but I just can't get the though that she can't stand up and stretch out of my head, it's really bothering me, I'm also taking her without consent as I can't get hold of our friend and he has no family that I know of in France, I have asked about but all the rescues seem to be cats and dogs and they could not advice if there would be any legal predicament from us just taking her, I was going to pop a note through the door and tape one on the door just incase he has family I do not know about that call
Thankyou for reading sorry its so long winded

Poor bunny! My advice is to give the bunny a home with yourself but at this stage I would keep her separate from your other 2 as if you put her in the same shed as the others it could cause your 2 to fight. This is called referred aggression. Also being unneutered wouldn't help the situation either. In time, once you have got to know the new bunny, you can then decide to have her neutered and then, if you feel it will work, try to bond the 3. This would have to be done on neutral territory.

I hope it works out so you can give the new bun a better life than the one she apparently has.

Back