Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between teeth grinding and teeth purring?

Default Difference between teeth grinding and teeth purring?

Is Harvey ill?? Over the past couple of days Harvey seems to be grinding his teeth more. I've heard this can be a sign of pain? He often tooth purs when I stroke him but how do I know if it's purring or grinding?

My OH said last night he went into his cage and stomped his back foot several times for no apparent reason. He did the same just now and when I went over he was grinding his teeth. Do you think I should take him to the vets?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bizziel; 26-02-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Wise Old Thumper

Is he eating, pooing, drinking and weeing ?

Is he bright and active ?

Tooth grinding is usually much louder than tooth purring and has a slower rhythm. Also with tooth grinding the Rabbit often has squinted eyes and is unlikely to be eating. He/she may also feel very cold to the touch.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

He had been running about as usual this morning and I think he is eating and drinking as usual. Poo is more difficult to tell as I have two buns together. They are usually a bit quieter and sleepy at this time of day, he is currently hiding behind the fish tank whereas he usually sleeps in the middle of the carpet. He has free access to Hay and is normally a good Hay eater though I didn't notice this morning if he was eating less than usual but he was just as excited about his breakfast pellets.

Thanks for the grinding description Jane, I think what I am hearing is purring but it seems strange he would do that for no reason other than me coming over. He doesn't seem cold to the touch.

Last edited by bizziel; 26-02-2014 at 12:09 PM.

He's currently demolishing a rack full of Hay

I notice that buns tend to grind their teeth in a "contented" way when they settle down in the meatloaf position.

I notice Fiver grinds his teeth when his arthritis is hurting him, but he seems perfectly fine in himself apart from this. He will run about, eat, jump, and seems completely normal until it comes to him just sitting. Then he will grind his teeth and look uncomfortable, so maybe just keep an eye on him. Generally you can tell when a bun is in pain or when they are just doing what bunnies do.

Ellie. You'll always be in my heart. I love you.

Rosie. I can't believe you are no longer at my side. I miss you so much. Wait at the bridge for me.
    Larka. I miss you every moment of every day. You were stolen from me and I will never, ever recover from the heartache of losing you. You should be by side and instead you have gone forever.

Thanks vegan bunny. He was in the loaf position. I'm guess I'm worried he needs a dental or something but he is eating ok so I will just keep an eye on him. I have noticed a few smallish poos in their tray today (they usually do quite big ones). I will keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if I get more worried. He is only a year old and my first bun so I am still getting used to his and general bunny peculiarities. they are worrisome little beasties

Yip, exactly as VB described. My two get themselves comfy into the loaf position and kinda chatter their teeth and move their wee mouths about.

My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Yip, exactly as VB described. My two get themselves comfy into the loaf position and kinda chatter their teeth and move their wee mouths about.
    Yes, all five of mine do this. They also grind their teeth in their sleep. Pain grinding like Jane said tends to be slower and when bunny is hunched up.
    Mum to five lovely bunnies & two gorgeous doggies
    Sadly missing Benji, Peanut Butter, Bonnie, Cupcake, Noodles, Pud, Ted, Rufus, Albie and Pickle

Visit our etsy for dog bandanas! www.etsy.com/shop/ChloeSuzanneDesigns

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan_Bunny View Post
    I notice that buns tend to grind their teeth in a "contented" way when they settle down in the meatloaf position.

I notice Fiver grinds his teeth when his arthritis is hurting him, but he seems perfectly fine in himself apart from this. He will run about, eat, jump, and seems completely normal until it comes to him just sitting. Then he will grind his teeth and look uncomfortable, so maybe just keep an eye on him. Generally you can tell when a bun is in pain or when they are just doing what bunnies do.
    Haha I've never heard that description before meatloaf! I always say Doughnut is in her baby buddha position as she looks fat, I'm guessing it's the same position, is this it but sometimes with her front a bit more down?

She sometimes chomps her teeth when going off to sleep and purrs when I kiss her nose, it's a soft noise though. I think you would know the teeth grinding as she did that when she was hunched in a corner and not moving so other things are normally present too.

Thanks everyone, that's really reassuring I think he was just in a funny mood as he seems fine now