• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for a very nervous bun?

silverspider05

Warren Scout
Hello, I have had Mimi for just over two years now, she is a rescue mini lop. She was abandoned in a cardboard box outside the vets. No matter what I try she is just so so nervous. she will come up to you, then run. She does not like being touched, let alone picked up to be checked over. I worry because I know she may not like to be touched, (and I'm fine with that i don't want to push her and stress her out) but if she becomes ill or needs treatment etc she just will not let me help her. Does anyone else have this? I got a rather nice kick across the knuckles this morning trying to get her into the carrier ready for the vets this morning. She has never bitten me, and nine times out of ten she just runs away then stamps her feet if I even hold out my hand to her. She will take food from me, but runs off with it. She wont sit near me. I find it so disheartening because I have never had a bunny like her, all of my others have been licky and very lovey buns. I just want her to be happy, but be able to take care of her if she gets poorly or anything.

Has she a bonded partner? I know some of my bunnies need the comfort of a rabbit friend and some are more than happy/confident on their own. I also have a doe that hates me if she is on her own or with another rabbit. It is disheartening, but at least she is safe with you and not abandoned or forgotten at the bottom of someones garden :)

:wave: awww bless her she is lucky to have you as her mum it's so easy to give up with these type if bunnies.

I have a girlie house bun and it's taken 18 months of very hard work but now can see real results with her - I spend at least an hour a day just sitting with her - I read a book or listen to the radio and talked to her all the time - everything on her terms just as you've been doing - now she is amazing - she is still quirky lol - I have it work more on the picking her up side - you could say she is contrary - lol loving one minute and Miss Independent the next but I know that some buns just stay very Independent.

I think break throughs with rabbits are really special - like your girl at one time my bun would grab the treat and run off - now she takes it and snuggles down to eat next to me - Alpha R a bit me thinks lol

My girlie has the company of another bun who she loves and plays with side by side on pretty much a daily basis but sadly my other bun is blind and she is fast - very fast lol so to ensure he stays safe there play time in supervised but seem happy.

Hope this helps

I think if you just spend lots of time with her, doing your own this so to speak, read a book, watch tv, she will eventually realise you aren't a threat and her curiosity will get the better of her. The more I pay no attention to my two, the more they climb all over me, and shove their faces in my face :)

Has she a bonded partner? I know some of my bunnies need the comfort of a rabbit friend and some are more than happy/confident on their own. I also have a doe that hates me if she is on her own or with another rabbit. It is disheartening, but at least she is safe with you and not abandoned or forgotten at the bottom of someones garden :)

Hello sorry I should have said, she is wifeybun of my original Jakey. Jakey is the complete opposite, liky, lovey and wants attention all the time! She watches him and what he does, and it's like she wants to do the same, i sit with them both each day and its like she wants to at times, but just can't get through that barrier. :(

I know I've had sally for 4 years ish now and she just won't let herself enjoy humans. I always put it down to she was never on her own for a long time to need human contact :? She always looks disgusted when anyone tries to fuss her :roll: Your bun may come round to the idea, but don't beat yourself up about it :)

Back