• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why?!

Supershelleyb

Young Bun
We were sitting with the buns spending some time together and Kanga jumped up and sat on my OH. Dan started stroking him. He then started scratching, digging and bit him drawing blood and making a hole in his trousers.

I could understand if he was forcing cuddles but Kanga jumped up in him.

Any ideas?

Any good book ideas specifically for rabbit behaviour would be good.

I know Maddie has tried digging my feet and tugged the leg of my trousers which I think is a dominance thing but she's never bitten me. I'm definitely not an expert but he probably didn't mean to hurt and it was probably a dominance thing but we don't have fur like rabbits! I think I read somewhere that you have to make a point of saying oww sort of thing so he knows he has hurt you, if he bites again.

We were sitting with the buns spending some time together and Kanga jumped up and sat on my OH. Dan started stroking him. He then started scratching, digging and bit him drawing blood and making a hole in his trousers.

I could understand if he was forcing cuddles but Kanga jumped up in him.

Any ideas?

Any good book ideas specifically for rabbit behaviour would be good.

It's not much to worry about, I don't think she meant it aggressively. It usually means 'you're in my way!' or 'give me attention/food!'. She probably didn't get the response that she wanted by digging/scratching lightly, so she started biting etc. Next time she does it to anyone, squeal quite loudly - she'll understand that it hurts then, although it may take a couple of times to get the message across. Even if she just uses her teeth on you but not properly biting, or bites your trousers etc - squeal. My two used to do it the odd time when they were younger, but they haven't done it for about 4 years after I started to squeal! Occasionally they do like to rearrange my trousers if I'm sitting down with them - they use their teeth and just move the fabric but don't bite :lol: They do understand that it hurts if you squeal, and they should stop. If she wanted to actually do damage to your OH he'd be covered in massive deep bites :shock:

Tamsin on this forum has a couple of good books: http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/special.asp / http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamsin-Stone/e/B006IV1Y7S/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1. Definitely recommended :D

That's just reminded me I need to take some pics for you! I'll do it this afternoon :D

Last edited:
Thanks for both taking the time to reply. Pleased its not anything horrid or that he hates us!

Will take that on board about the squealing as I don't want them doing it to anyone esp the children. Will nip it in the bud now xx

Back