• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nena's jaw/tooth root abscess

Cleaning time and medication time went so wrong tonight.

I did the flushing and honey fine while she was burritoed up; but then I let her out of the burrito and she wouldn't take her metacam (which she usually eats out a syringe) or the tramadol mixed in baby food and recovery food. She's been eating the azithromycin with recovery food and baby food and then the metacam from the syringe completely fine all last week. She'd eaten a bit of the tramadol mixture but I didn't know how much, so I ended up having to water it down more and syringe her 4 whole 1ml syringes full which she didn't like. It's a million times easier if she just eats it up like she always does... I don't know why she wouldn't take it tonight.

Everything is in her now but I'm so gutted. I was hoping I could leave the syringes out for my mom every morning and she could just mix it up and feed her the tablespoon of recovery food and the syringe of metacam. She'd been doing that fine all week. I could then bring her in for a quick flush & honey procedure and then put her back in. I don't want to have to syringe feed her everything every day when she usually takes it fine without so much stress.

It's a nightmare getting one bunny out of the shed by myself while keeping the other one occupied so she doesn't get out. It's even worse in the dark. My mom used to help me last time but now she's not available for the next 5 days. I'm exhausted because I have a cold and I feel like a complete failure. I tried to let them out for a run around in the garden earlier but Nena was a bit too flinchy because of her sore face and so kept running off, and I was paranoid that spring fever might kick in and they might fight. I'm not gonna get any rest either because I'll need to check on them a couple of times in the night and then get up before 8 tomorrow to battle with her again. :(

When I go down tonight I'll see if she'll take normal recovery food & baby food. If she doesn't take it, I'll know pretty much for certain that she won't take it tomorrow morning for my mom. That'll mean that I won't mix it into the baby food/recovery food, so it'll only be one syringe to make a total of 3 that she needs to have in the morning. 3 is a lot easier than the extras if it's already mixed. I'll use their carrier to bring her in rather than the box I usually use, as the handle will help a little. The bunny burrito went okay after a few goes. If I put one hand over her I can use the other hand to do the flushing and honey, and she should take the medicine like that too if necessary. They've been burritoing her at the vets without problem. I might try giving her the metacam/recovery food before I burrito her and see if she'll do it.

Last edited:
Oh yaretzi. your heart is in the right place and you are doing everything possible to help Nena. but it sounds like it is all rather stressful for all concerned. If I lived just 5 minutes down the road I would be more than happy to help you. Having said that though, I am about 25 minutes away but if I can help please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

I'm sorry the medicating has been difficult, Yaretzi. I would guess with how her poorly cheek is it might get a little hairy. It's to be expected.
I hope your next dosage time goes more smoothly and that you'll both be into a routine before long. I find bunnies are worse about a lesser fuss than a more extensive one. While Mimzy was badly tilted and needed extra care he was relatively docile...once I didn't have to do as much for him he got combative. I took it as he was feeling well enough to put up a fight, but it didn't make having to do our daily rounds any easier! :roll:

Thinking of you and Nena and Tapla. ((((((((Hugs)))))))) xxxx

Thanks everyone. Last night she took recovery food and baby food fine in the shed so I left the medication out for my mom and she's taken it all fine this morning. I think she must've just been fed up of being faffed with yesterday. As long as I do the medication in the shed she should take it okay and that works well for me as she eats it so quickly. Then I can just bring her in twice a day to do the flushing/honey and that should be quick so she shouldn't get too annoyed.

Gonna try and get an hours more sleep now before I have to get up and do her flushing and go to the physiotherapist!

Last edited:
Glad to hear things went a bit better today. Still keeping you and Nena in my thoughts. xxxx

Thank you :love: I love having RU to vent on... some of my friends have asked how Nena is but they don't wanna know reams of detail, so I love being able to blather on about it here!

Nena's cleaning went okay earlier but I think I'm going to have to think of a better way to put the honey on, as using a cotton bud is not working :lol: I'm getting it everywhere and Nena gets annoyed :oops: Gonna try a 1ml syringe tonight!

The burrito-ing is going quite well too. I don't think I'm doing it quite right but as long as I've got her in all of the blanket Nena seems to just sit there anyway :lol: She does sit down properly like in the pictures/tutorials online - she's still standing up in the burrito, but at least she doesn't move :lol:

Rang petplan a minute ago to query how much of the £2000 I have left for this policy year. I've got £1266.69 left until 1st June, and taking off this operation @ £892 I've got £373 to cover me 3 months. Considering she shouldn't need any more surgery, I think that should cover it hopefully! If not, it'll cover it mostly and that's nearly as good. I had a feeling I only had about £600 left, so I'd be paying out £300 plus whatever her ongoing costs are for a few months. This is much better news :D Pleased with that news, and how well it's gone today.

Nena's just been for a post-op checkup and everything was fine apart from the ridiculous traffic on the way home! Nena's wound looks good to the vet, apart from some fur and bits of food that were stuck deep inside. Obviously I'm not allowed to clean inside so there's all sorts that's got inside! She said I'm doing a good job cleaning her, so that's good :) She has another checkup on Tuesday to give it another deeper clean but otherwise it's just continuing to flush it to keep it open, put honey around the outside and obviously medicate her. She said use up the tramadol but when it's run out that'll do, so she'll just be on metacam and azithromycin then :)

This was Nena's hole before we went to the vets for a good clean out:

As you can see, her fur has gone up into it and there's pus coming out etc. There was also hay and food in it deep inside but I'm not allowed anywhere near!

This is today:

Looks a bit more comfy for her - less crusty! My brother came over to give me a hand as my mom is away, and he felt so sorry for her! Poor brave girl :love:

I am pleased to hear that Nena is doing so well :)

Thank you :love: Your advice has been invaluable throughout the entire process with Nena, thank you for that :D

Last edited:
I think Nena's quite happy in herself today! She ate pellets in the utility room which was nice, as Tapla eats faster than her but Nena is still about 200g underweight. So she had lots of pellets, then sat (mostly) still for her cleaning... and then proceeded to not give me the courtesy of waiting until she was back in the shed before cleaning all my honey off :lol: So she's clearly feeling better today if she's capable of being greedy and cheeky! :love:

Awww...little sweetie :love: I just love her coloring. She does look like she is feeling chipper. :D
Sending gentle noserubs and healing vibes for your wee lass. xxxx

The wound looks to be a lot better after the deep clean out. She really is being a very brave girl :love:

Awww...little sweetie :love: I just love her coloring. She does look like she is feeling chipper. :D
Sending gentle noserubs and healing vibes for your wee lass. xxxx

Thank you both :love:

Today I noticed that her wound hole was getting smaller, and by the time I was back from volunteering at 4pm it'd closed completely. I rang the vets and spoke to a vet nurse who advised that there were no more appointments for tonight and I can't make tomorrow morning due to a mental health appointment. They said they'd be able to open it back up again tomorrow afternoon when I go, and that it shouldn't be too much of a problem in terms of our plan to let it heal from the inside out that it's covered itself up for 24 hours. It's all just crust/pus etc, not actual skin, so they should be able to clean it up and leave it open again. Looks like I'll need to go back every 3 days for this, as it's been 3 days now and it'll be 4 days tomorrow yet it's already closed up. Not too easy since they're about 50 mins drive away each way, but I'll do it. Hopefully should only be another few weeks of this.

It's certainly going to be fun come Wednesday as I'm having a 2nd steroid injection into the heel of my foot and I'm not allowed to walk for 2 days :lol: I'll have to do her medication/cleanings, but it's more walking than my physiotherapist would like. I'm also supposed to rest it as much as possible for the following 2 weeks but I'll be making frequent trips to the vets and rushing around after Nena - hardly conducive to excellent healing for me :lol: Oh well, I'll have to sacrifice my foot!

I hope Nena will get on OK at her appointment, it sounds as though any too early wound closing can be sorted out relatively easily.

Hope your foot gets better soon too !!

Good luck. One of my bunnies had her ear close up completely after it had to been removed, it was a hole one day and skin the next, its amazing how fast it grows. The vet didn't bother reopening it, but it wasn't an infection so completely different.

Anyway lovely to see pics of Nena.:love:

Thanks both. Just got back - just before 6pm. My appointment was 4 and I left the house with N&T at 3. The traffic on the way back is terrible at the moment - it's taken just over an hour to get back both times that I've made an appointment at 4, so I'm going to have to start making them later. The latest they can do for my next checkup is 5.50 though so I'm still gonna get stuck. Argh.

They cleaned Nena up and opened the wound again. It was mostly just pus, hair and honey so it was fairly easy but I think it hurt her because it looked very sore. She's also soaking wet. I now have to flush her out 5 times a day with 10ml of F10 and saline Previously it was 2 times a day with 0.5ml. 5 times a day is crazy - I don't know how I'm going to do it considering I'm supposed to be on bed rest for 2 days starting tomorrow morning and after that I have uni, volunteering, health appointments etc every day. My back is killing me because I drove 7 hours when Nena had her operation last Tuesday or whenever it was, and it's not getting better because I've been driving and carrying them around in the carrier. Nena hates having 10ml to flush it out too, she panics if there's too much.

I'm going to be up pretty much all night trying to make sure she's dry and flushing her.

Everything is going wrong this week and I've had a ridiculously busy month even before Nena went to the vets at the beginning, with no end in sight. I'm just completely exhausted.

Back