• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunnies weeing everywhere...

Supershelleyb

Young Bun
Just wondering if anyone has any advice. Had our rabbits two days so know its only early days but they wee everywhere and would rather they didn't!

Not sure what to try or do.

Large litter tray with hay rack above. I used wooden litter pellets in with some hay on top. They do use the tray as wet litter and poos but also going everywhere else too.

Bedroom has a dogs bed with straw no hay as I didn't want to confuse them as that's for sleeping. Did have a blanket but threw it this morning as covered in wee.

Assume this yucky puss looking stuff is wee?

Their poos look normal although two did squash easily when cleaning them out where as all the others were firm.

Appreciate any advice. I have just taken everything out and cleaned it all as I did yesterday. I put a bit of kitchen roll which was wee soaked back in the tray with some poos.

Off subject - how do I encourage more hay eating? They don't eat what I put in every day. Using both meadow hay and redigrass as what they are used to. I have stuffed some in tubes, in a hanging ball etc or should I stop worrying and let them settle in?! I'm worrying about them more than my kids lol

That is wee yes :mrgreen:
and theyre poos should be nice and crumbly.
in regards to enough hay just make sure they always have a full hay rack and wherever else the hay goes.
they tend to sleep anywhere, i had a memory foam dog bed and they chose to sleep on the laminate floor :lol:

if you've just got them then they will want to be marking their territory with their scent.
but if theyre not neutered yet then you may find that they aren't good with their litter training till theyre done.

pics of your new babies :) ?
:love:

To encourage hay eating, I would advise lining litter trays with newspaper and then a thick layer of hay - rabbits love to eat, wee and poo at the same time. They will need cleaning out every day. Mine won't even look at hay in a hay rack.

I had this with my frenchies when they arrived. I think the only real way to litter train is obviously put hay in the litter tray so they munch and pee, but to take up any blankets etc so they wee on the vinyl floor and clean it up as soon as you see it with something that will remove the smell (I use Anigene). If they persist with pee'ing in a certain place pop another litter tray there.

All my other bunnies have litter trained themselves instantly, the frenchies were the hardest to crack but they are there now :D. No floor wee's for a long time, apart from one the other day where I was changing their litter tray and one of them did a big wee where the tray should be :lol:

That is wee yes :mrgreen:
and theyre poos should be nice and crumbly.
in regards to enough hay just make sure they always have a full hay rack and wherever else the hay goes.
they tend to sleep anywhere, i had a memory foam dog bed and they chose to sleep on the laminate floor :lol:

if you've just got them then they will want to be marking their territory with their scent.
but if theyre not neutered yet then you may find that they aren't good with their litter training till theyre done.

pics of your new babies :) ?
:love:

I've just checked on them in the run and a little worried as in the run they have done lots of poos but lots of small wet looking ones!

The boys been neutered the girl hasn't. The girl is currently jumping the boy but she's booked in for her spaying in 3 weeks but may do sooner.

I just don't know what to do about their bed, I want to be a good bunny mummy and make them happy but don't know what they want to sleep on and don't want them weeing in their bed then sleeping all night!

To encourage hay eating, I would advise lining litter trays with newspaper and then a thick layer of hay - rabbits love to eat, wee and poo at the same time. They will need cleaning out every day. Mine won't even look at hay in a hay rack.

I put some hay in the tray but not loads. Will put some more. Where else do you put your hay if not in racks? Just the tray?

I had this with my frenchies when they arrived. I think the only real way to litter train is obviously put hay in the litter tray so they munch and pee, but to take up any blankets etc so they wee on the vinyl floor and clean it up as soon as you see it with something that will remove the smell (I use Anigene). If they persist with pee'ing in a certain place pop another litter tray there.

All my other bunnies have litter trained themselves instantly, the frenchies were the hardest to crack but they are there now :D. No floor wee's for a long time, apart from one the other day where I was changing their litter tray and one of them did a big wee where the tray should be :lol:

Thanks for the reply. The wees are random and so I can't put a tray everywhere (corner in living area, both corners of bedroom, in their bed). Maybe the tray isn't positioned right? It's in the larger part of the hutch not bedroom and they do use it just everywhere else too. I didn't realise how manky rabbit wee is haha

I've just checked on them in the run and a little worried as in the run they have done lots of poos but lots of small wet looking ones!

The boys been neutered the girl hasn't. The girl is currently jumping the boy but she's booked in for her spaying in 3 weeks but may do sooner.

I just don't know what to do about their bed, I want to be a good bunny mummy and make them happy but don't know what they want to sleep on and don't want them weeing in their bed then sleeping all night!

I put some hay in the tray but not loads. Will put some more. Where else do you put your hay if not in racks? Just the tray?

The majority goes in their two huge litter trays. I also have a large shallow metal (?dog?) bowl and I put a handful of different hay in there a few times a day. When I clean out the litter trays each morning I mix in some chopped up spring greens etc, which encourages them to go foraging and therefore eat some hay at the same time. They only get an eggcupful of pellets each every night, so they are still hungry for hay.

Back