• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Was my bunny happier alone?

inkybunny

New Kit
I'm new to this forum, but have been doing lot's of research to see if I'm being paranoid! I hope someone can help - will try and keep it brief!

I've had my buck George for 2 years, since he was a baby, and he has been raised indoors with me and my husband. He would binky and flop on a daily basis, was incredibly friendly and loving to us but we still felt it would be best for him to have a rabbit companion as all the advice suggests as such. He was neutered at 6 months FYI.

We adopted a doe, Holly, last November, who is around the same age and was not spayed but we had her fixed within the first few weeks.

Although all the advice online was to introduce them in a neutral territory slowly, the woman I adopted Holly from (who had a lot of very happy bunnies and seemed to know her stuff) advised me to just take them both home in the same carrier and shut them in the same hutch until they got on - unless they fought seriously, and then I was to separate them obviously.

Other than a bit of mounting for the first few weeks (from Holly) they didn't fight, so all seemed well.

The thing is, months later, George never binkies or flops anymore, and sits all balled up when she tries to snuggle up to him. Or he hops away altogether. She seems to like him, but he doesn't seem so keen.

She's definitely the dominant one, she demands to be washed and takes his food. Meanwhile, he still comes up on to the sofa to wash me and sit with me and follows me around the flat instead!

Am I mad to think George is bonded with me and happier without rabbit company? Or do I need to give it a few more months?

All help appreciated. Thank you!

It might just be how e is feeling ATM or the weather or anything really it's doubtful unless they are fighting he is unhappy about having a companion

Give him time

It might be that he is bored so an idea might be to make the some toys and games , have they got hidey holes , tunnels and digging boxes?

Thanks for replying!

I don't think it's boredom. I rotate the toys (tunnels, boxes, balls, etc) regularly though he's never been much of a fan - she however loves anything small she can chew and dig at :)

I also wondered if it was the weather, as all this rain has meant less outdoor time, though he's never been that mad on being outside either! He used to go outside for about 10-20 minutes, binky like mad, then come back indoors and flop. She loves being outside and goes crazy running about the place. Now, he tends to just sit near the door, and when she sits next to him he hops away.

I wouldn't be so concerned about it if he hadn't been such an expressive guy since the day we brought him home (he flopped in his new house within hours - properly threw himself down, licking his paws - I thought he was ill!). But now, nothing.

His appetite is still fine (aka starving all the time!), and fur all soft and shiny, good poo, so he's healthy. Just quiet.

I would say just give it time.

Also, could it be that when he was alone he was expressing his happy behaviour when he was with you as he had company. Now he might well be much happier overall but having a human companion is no longer the absolute highlight of the day so no longer produces the high it used to? That is certainly the case with my Loki, I know he is happier but I don't see nearly the same number of binkies and flops that I used to when he was alone.

It can take time for rabbits to settle into new routines but it's slightly unusual that he's being less relaxed but doesn't actively shown any aggression etc. Usually if a rabbit dislikes another rabbit they make it pretty clear! It doesn't sound like she's being nasty either. Asking for grooming/stealing food is normal, as is mounting whilst they settle - it seems a little mean to us but it's normal for rabbits.

Less flopping could just mean he's got more to do. Having a partner takes up extra time and they don't want to miss anything exciting happening so spend less time sitting about just dosing.

It could be worth a vet check, bonding can be stressful so it's possible for it to trigger a problem and rabbits are good at hiding ill health, something like a urine infection might not have a lot of obvious symptoms.

Thanks so much for the replies!

I shall keep an eye on him with regard to the urine infection, though he does seem very healthy.

I think everyone is probably right about it just needing more time. They don't fight, he just doesn't ever relax around her. It's not just no flopping - he doesn't even stretch out a bit. He's always in a ball if she's around. HE'll be washing, she'll nuzzle up to him, and he'll ball up and shift away. I work part time so am home with them a lot and have just been WILLING him to stretch out! :)

I've included this photo to show what I'm talking about - this is what they look like most of the time (George is the chocolate lop, Holly is ginger)!
photo%20(3).jpg

Anyway. I think I will just give it more time and hope for the best.

Well she looks quite relaxed :lol:

I hope he learn to relax a bit, it's so tough when you can't just ask how they are feeling!

This is just how my Harry was when he was first bonded with Milly his wifebun.He became less expressive and was abit tense around her for sometime-she on the other hand thought he was wonderful:love:It took alittle while but he now loves her very much and is very relaxed with her now.In the long run im sure George will relax.Some bunnies seem to take alittle while to adjust to being bonded especially if they've always been single before.If George wasn't interested he certainly wouldn't be sitting near Holly.

Back