• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-bonding

Ouisie

New Kit
Just after some advice really. I have two rabbits who were bonded together at 8 weeks old and I've had them since they were ready to leave the breeder at 14 weeks. They lived quite happily together (and were neutered) until 12 months when they had a scrap, I believe it was more of a squabble over a carrot stick because I'd seem them nicking treats off each other before.

We took them to the vet because one had a minor injury (flap of skin needed gluing back down) and on the advice of the vet we split them up.

Now they are 5 years old and I regret splitting them, one in particular is more sociable and could do with a friend, but getting more rabbits to make two pairs is financially completely out of the equation.

Do you think it's possible to re-bond two previously bonded rabbits?

Do you mean it was 12 months ago when they fought, or the rabbits were 12 months old? If it was the former that means they had been together for 4 years, so I would think they would go back together. What sex are they?

To rebond them, they would have to be introduced in a neutral area where neither of them have ever been. For instance a puppy pen, a room which is new to them, a different hutch etc. Once together try not to separate them, unless they fight.

Do you mean it was 12 months ago when they fought, or the rabbits were 12 months old? If it was the former that means they had been together for 4 years, so I would think they would go back together. What sex are they?

To rebond them, they would have to be introduced in a neutral area where neither of them have ever been. For instance a puppy pen, a room which is new to them, a different hutch etc. Once together try not to separate them, unless they fight.

They were 12 months old, so they've been apart for a few years now. On the odd occasion where they see each other they seem a bit curious but not bothered by each other, although they have never shared a space since the squabble.

I was going to see if I could get a rescue to help with the re-bonding.

I would think it is well worth trying. My two fought after their neuter ops (I put them back together too soon). I was advised to leave them apart for a few months and then rebond in a neutral space. I did this (also introducing two bonded sisters) and all is well now.

Worth re-bonding before spring fever hits too ie asap. The longer daylight hours will trigger spring feelings apparantly. Good luck.

Back