• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch extension

<3jackyboy<3

Young Bun
I should be having my hutch repaired (by my dad, of course), and would like to do an extension on it- the current hutch is from pets at home (DONT BOTHER-SERIOUSLY!) and is 5ft, which I would like to make 6! I was wondering, what it the best way of going about this? :)
Thank you!

Does it have a run attached at the minute? If not I would recommended leaving the hutch as 5ft but adding a big run to it so there is plenty of exercise space.

Can you post a picture of your current hutch so we can suggest things?

:)

No run attached at the mo-just moved house, but am going to try and get a mini hinged door on the side, so he can go in and out as he pleases :p will post pics tomorrow! :)

I bought a pets at home hutch as an extension to the bottom part of a double hutch (I had guinea pig in top part) I took one of the doors off the double hutch and attached the other hutch to make it an L shape. I loved it actually but I will be honest it didn't fit together that great and and I took away the whole side of the new hutch which weakened an already weak hutch! Eventually it just leaked, got really damp, the roof and floor both started caving... I'm sure it would be possible to do a better job than I did, cutting a hole or archway in the side of the hutch would have been better than removing the side. I'll see if I can dig out a pic. It worked well though for space, it created an 8ft hutch without taking up too much garden space. I had a fenced off area around it so I could just leave the hutch door open when I was around. I loved that enclosure too but it wasn't that safe and I wanted them to have 24hr access to a run. I'll go and see if I can find a pic... :wave:

No run attached at the mo-just moved house, but am going to try and get a mini hinged door on the side, so he can go in and out as he pleases :p will post pics tomorrow! :)

I would get a run attached then rather than trying to extend the hutch. The welfare hutch company can make an 8ft x 4ft x 2ft run for £99 so I am sure you could get one reasonably priced.

As it's from P@H, I wouldn't bother. I've had their hutches before and they are fragile at best - to extend it I think you'd have to reinforce it. It isn't worth the time and money you would spend.

As it is only a foot, I'd do what Snowberry suggested and focus instead on attaching it to a big run. You will get far more space for your money, and you can use your hinged door idea or a runaround pipe to connect them.

>:'(

As it's from P@H, I wouldn't bother. I've had their hutches before and they are fragile at best - to extend it I think you'd have to reinforce it. It isn't worth the time and money you would spend.

As it is only a foot, I'd do what Snowberry suggested and focus instead on attaching it to a big run. You will get far more space for your money, and you can use your hinged door idea or a runaround pipe to connect them.
It's just SO frustrating!!
I bought that hutch for £160! And it's just so annoying that I didn't use the 1 year warranty when I still could, and get a lovely-BIGGER- hutch for much less! It's just then the problems werent so bad!
Problems I've had to deal with- leaky roof; enforced on 3 occasions- to be completely replaced
Rotten floor- has been patched- needs to be replaced 1st floor
'Curling' floorboard ground floor- needs to be replaced
The only good thing is the ramp!
All the mineral felt on the roof is useless, and the roof itself isn't slanted enough to allow the water to sufficiently drain off of it! :(
Just so disappointed in pets at home!

It's just SO frustrating!!
I bought that hutch for £160! And it's just so annoying that I didn't use the 1 year warranty when I still could, and get a lovely-BIGGER- hutch for much less! It's just then the problems werent so bad!
Problems I've had to deal with- leaky roof; enforced on 3 occasions- to be completely replaced
Rotten floor- has been patched- needs to be replaced 1st floor
'Curling' floorboard ground floor- needs to be replaced
The only good thing is the ramp!
All the mineral felt on the roof is useless, and the roof itself isn't slanted enough to allow the water to sufficiently drain off of it! :(
Just so disappointed in pets at home!

From what you've described, honestly, I think it would be better value to buy a new hutch than fix one with so many problems... you'll just continue to throw money at it.

I know the dilemma though, I'm facing the same decision with my hutch now.

edit: think about this one, the 6ft model is £110 http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/double-and-triple-rabbit-hutches/flat-roof-rabbit-hutches-detail

Last edited:
:p

From what you've described, honestly, I think it would be better value to buy a new hutch than fix one with so many problems... you'll just continue to throw money at it.

I know the dilemma though, I'm facing the same decision with my hutch now.

edit: think about this one, the 6ft model is £110 http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/double-and-triple-rabbit-hutches/flat-roof-rabbit-hutches-detail
I have a plan- I have saved up £65 (halfway there to the hutch of my dreams:p), so - hopefully- I shall be receiving some ££ for my birthday and what-not ! :) if I put off repairs, I will be able to get a new hutch instead! :p
Just have to make sure everybody knows I just want money for my birthday...! :p

I have a plan- I have saved up £65 (halfway there to the hutch of my dreams:p), so - hopefully- I shall be receiving some ££ for my birthday and what-not ! :) if I put off repairs, I will be able to get a new hutch instead! :p
Just have to make sure everybody knows I just want money for my birthday...! :p

That sounds like a great idea. These cheap hutches are just a nightmare... so badly made, and so unreliable! If you can manage to stretch to a bit more, this would be a much cheaper way to get a run for your bunnies: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350758325427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649. If you buy the run separately it'll be much more. And that hutch will last a good 5+ years so it's a good investment :D Perhaps your parents might lend you some money after your birthday and you can pay them back, if it'll take a while to save up otherwise? (Sorry, assuming you live with your parents for some reason!)

:p

That sounds like a great idea. These cheap hutches are just a nightmare... so badly made, and so unreliable! If you can manage to stretch to a bit more, this would be a much cheaper way to get a run for your bunnies: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350758325427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649. If you buy the run separately it'll be much more. And that hutch will last a good 5+ years so it's a good investment :D Perhaps your parents might lend you some money after your birthday and you can pay them back, if it'll take a while to save up otherwise? (Sorry, assuming you live with your parents for some reason!)
:D
I think they don't want me to get another hutch and prefer the idea of repairs as this hutch was a previous birthday present, and they're afraid to get their fingers burned again :(
Oh well- I think they've learnt by now that I am rather persistent when it comes to my animals - ESPECIALLY jack! :p

Although it might only have a 1 year guarentee that doesn't mean it's necessarily allowed to disintegrate one day after that period. I would contact P@H and outline the issues and your expectations that a hutch you've spent £160 should have more than a one year life span.

I agree though, for the extra foot, you'd be better just going for a run rather than extending - you can always add a sheltered part to the run.

:)

Although it might only have a 1 year guarentee that doesn't mean it's necessarily allowed to disintegrate one day after that period. I would contact P@H and outline the issues and your expectations that a hutch you've spent £160 should have more than a one year life span.

I agree though, for the extra foot, you'd be better just going for a run rather than extending - you can always add a sheltered part to the run.
When I read that I literally had a bubble of hope- which was then squashed by the fact it's been almost 4 years since I bought the hutch...
Do you think they would give me any warranty?!
Thank you X

Ryedale hutch

I should be having my hutch repaired (by my dad, of course), and would like to do an extension on it- the current hutch is from pets at home (DONT BOTHER-SERIOUSLY!) and is 5ft, which I would like to make 6! I was wondering, what it the best way of going about this? :)
Thank you!

Hi just wondered if you or anyone else is interested in buying a fabulous 2nd hand-exc cond "RYEDALE HUTCH?"-6FT X3 tiered?
Many thanks
FAYE

Back