• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upset...please don't be angry !update p.90 sad news

So we are distastefull and over zealous now ..:shock:.. also shattered , heartbroken and skint most of the time too ...hence why we have our say AND why so many stand up for us ...:roll:

To the person who started this thread .... I hope you stay around ... just because we don't agree with what you have done doesn't mean we dislike you . I like the fact that you have taken the pro rescue comments in the light they were made and hope that in future you are able to adopt inmstead of buy ..at least then some good will have come from this .

Having different opinions is fine but can we please not start throwing personal insults around or I'll start dishing out infractions for anybody who wants to play that game.

I think it's not so much that people who've supported the OP are anti-rescue but more that they're anti-"singling one person out on a thread to make them feel bad for their choices".

Perhaps it would be good for rescues to post more of their own threads about rabbits that have come in, the sort of awful situations they've been rescued from etc; when I first joined there used to be much more of that and, personally, it was those sort of sad stories that were the real eye-opener for me and really swayed me to the rescue cause, rather than any sort of discussions such as this one.

Last edited:
But this is just more generalizations. Many breeders are in it for money and prizes but there's also ones who are passionate about animals, about improving the breed and don't break even. Why are rescues/super pro rescue people so hesitant to admit that?

It seems like this particular breeder was in it for prizes - unless they were just misinformed rather than evil - there's always the chance of that. How many people on here housed their rabbits in 4ft hutches before they learned better? But they were just owners so they were completely innocent. Such double standards. :?

I don't actually care because I know Im not selfish but it's a true comparison.

I wasn't going to comment but this got me. Breeders do not improve breeds for the rabbits sake or to give them a higher quality of life. It's done selfishly. They 'improve' breeds to set to high regulations of what is acceptable in the ring and fashion. Look at rex's getting red sore hocks. Netherland and Dwarf rabbits can easily suffer teeth and eye problems. Squashed skulls, squashed noses, ears prone to infections, fur unnaturally long and more. Humans want a animal to look a certain way and we breed them that way, with no regard with how it will affect the animals life or health. We do not breed them for their full natural potential.

However Panjanda I do not think you bad for your choices. I am sure Spartacus will have a good healthy life with you

Last edited:
So we are distastefull and over zealous now ..:shock:.. also shattered , heartbroken and skint most of the time too ...hence why we have our say AND why so many stand up for us ...:roll:

To the person who started this thread .... I hope you stay around ... just because we don't agree with what you have done doesn't mean we dislike you . I like the fact that you have taken the pro rescue comments in the light they were made and hope that in future you are able to adopt inmstead of buy ..at least then some good will have come from this .

this ^______^

op you have listened, learned and have been polite please do not let any rudeness or that fact some of us may not agree with what you did stop you from posting and being part of the community

as as bmh said we may not agree with it but it dsnt mean we dont like you ^_^

The problem is that many people do not want to see the facts, they complain about posts showing the truth as it upsets them. I think that is why many do not bother.
I am lucky as I haven't seen the worst but I can certainly start a thread showing rescued animals, and some of the states they arrive in.

Having different opinions is fine but can we please not start throwing personal insults around or I'll start dishing out infractions for anybody who wants to play that game.

I think it's not so much that people who've supported the OP are anti-rescue but more that they're anti-"singling one person out on a thread to make them feel bad for their choices".

Perhaps it would be good for rescues to post more of their own threads about rabbits that have come in, the sort of awful situations they've been rescued from etc; when I first joined they're used to be much more of that and, personally, it was those sort of sad stories that were the real eye-opener for me and really swayed me to the rescue cause, rather than any sort of discussions such as this one.

The last paragraph is what I mentioned earlier. I would love to see rescues put up pictures of their set ups and How They are doing and what arrivals they have

halfpenny as long as there are warnings it will help. I'd love to read more about your sanctuary

Perhaps it would be good for rescues to post more of their own threads about rabbits that have come in, the sort of awful situations they've been rescued from etc; when I first joined they're used to be much more of that and, personally, it was those sort of sad stories that were the real eye-opener for me and really swayed me to the rescue cause, rather than any sort of discussions such as this one.

those insults were thrown at rescues ...:shock:

I used to post a lot on here in the past ... and still do at times ... but I have less spare time than I used to and find there is far less interest in threads like that than there used to be . people seem to want cute cuddly bun pics now rather than the truth about rescues ...
If I start a thread about rescue buns I get a couple of new people reply and a few from our stalwart supporters and that's it ....the interest isn't there anymore so I then post less ...vicious circle ..such a shame realy .

I rarely get drawn into threads like this ... I stand back from them and Im careful what I put if I do get drawn in .

There are good breeders yes but I have to ask the question why do you want to get a bunny from a breeder when theres so many in need bunnies in rescues, some very young? why give money to someone bringing more bunnies into the world when theres so many needing homes?

Scary wading in on a controversial thread but firstly - Spartacus is gorgeous. Hope he settles in soon and gets over his fears with lots and time and patience (and probably treats)

I got Waffles and DP from a local breeder, 'cos I didn't want to support pet shops and didn't feel experienced enough to take on a rescue bunny with potential behavioural issues from a previous bad situation, or unexpected genetic problems from not knowing their history.

The breeder was a mum, she wasn't in it for profit, she'd just grown up loving animals. She had a lot of pets and a lot of space and the adult bunnies and guinea pigs got to free range under supervision, and got lots of attention from her and her daughter. I think she breeds 'cos she enjoys it - which is selfish - but I wouldn't say she was evil or perfect, just human. She did tell us about their ancestors and confirmed that she's not had any sore hock issues with any of their parents or grandparents. (they're mini rexes)

My bunnies are inquisitive, confident, affectionate and wonderful, happy to be picked up and stroked and (3 months in) I have no regrets about that decision. We are so so lucky to have them. I also massively appreciate the advice and support I've had from more experienced people on the forums, and have a much greater awareness of the bunny world as a result. I also appreicated all the support and advice over neutering, housing etc - has been a weird few months but you got me through it. I also read all the forum posts about bonding issues and medical issues and stasis issues and biting and don't yet feel ready to handle this. OH and I are not going to get any more bunnies until we've had Waffles and DP for a year - so we feel a tiny bit more qualfied to handle anything a bit more complicated. We also wouldn't want to get another bunny if it impacted the time and care we have for our current bunnies. However, we do now have a spare hutch, and a lot of empathy for the plight of the rescue bunny and so I think the future will result in us fostering or adopting from a rescue. And in the meantime we will do our best to help support rescues.

So although maybe we didn't start our bunny family in the most ethical or virtuous place, Waffles and DP are totally the right bunnies for us, and rescues and future rescue bunnies have one more supporter as a result, and two more humans who understand that a hutch is not enough.

The last paragraph is what I mentioned earlier. I would love to see rescues put up pictures of their set ups and How They are doing and what arrivals they have

halfpenny as long as there are warnings it will help. I'd love to read more about your sanctuary

I would love to see more and understand more and read more about that too
Or if any rescues have open days to go and see what's going on
And find out more about how i can help

Sorry this has started such a heated thread.....the very very sad thing is Spartacus has now died,so I have learnt an even bigger lesson !,
At least he was warm and clean but the stress must have been to much for him...

I do have another Rex called Steel, and later down the line I shall look at a rescue for a friend for him x

So can we please now stop the arguing and wish Spartacus a good night .
Thank you all x

Sorry this has started such a heated thread.....the very very sad thing is Spartacus has now died,so I have learnt an even bigger lesson !,

I do have another Rex called Steel, and later down the line I shall look at a rescue for a friend for him x

Thank you all x

I am so so sorry :cry:

those insults were thrown at rescues ...:shock:

I'm talking about all the insults, including those - there's no need for any of them. :wave: If anybody sees an insult then, like we always ask, report and let us deal - there's no need to insult back either though, no matter who started it, as it doesn't help and just detracts from the original topic.

Halfpenny, as long as there are clear thread titles so people can avoid threads that might upset them, I can't see a problem. Likewise, if there are really distressing photos, then perhaps add a warning to the post itself and leave a gap between that warning and the photos so people can have the option of clicking back without being upset by photos they didn't know were going to be there iyswim.

I got Waffles and DP from a local breeder, 'cos I didn't want to support pet shops and didn't feel experienced enough to take on a rescue bunny with potential behavioural issues from a previous bad situation, or unexpected genetic problems from not knowing their history.

thank you for your post

but thats the thing you dont need to be experienced to get a rescue bun, most dont have any issues. It they have health issues you are told. you go to rescues to see their personalities some are affectionate some arent.

you are just as likely to get gentic issues from a breeder as from a rescue no matter how good of a breeder they are

its the misinformation view of you need to be experience or that buns come with issues from rescues that stop people from rescuing first... which is a shame

its great you have a happy bun family but its a shame you were put off by something that wouldnt have been an issue as you can choose the right buns for you...

there are people who give a reason for getting a breeder bunny and I am not saying you have done this but the real reason is that they just wanted that bun or just wanted to have a baby bun or just wanted a particular breed and sex etc...... but wont say this.... I would respect people more if they didnt make excuses and just said they did it because they wanted it

whist I wouldn't agree with that they did and would tell them why I dont agree and mention about rescues I would not be rude or insulting because i would respect that they were honest

Thank you all x

oh I am so sorry

:( binky free little one

*big hug* for you you so so sorry

Scary wading in on a controversial thread but firstly - Spartacus is gorgeous. Hope he settles in soon and gets over his fears with lots and time and patience (and probably treats)

The breeder was a mum, she wasn't in it for profit, she'd just grown up loving animals. She had a lot of pets and a lot of space and the adult bunnies and guinea pigs got to free range under supervision, and got lots of attention from her and her daughter. I think she breeds 'cos she enjoys it - which is selfish - but I wouldn't say she was evil or perfect, just human. She did tell us about their ancestors and confirmed that she's not had any sore hock issues with any of their parents or grandparents. (they're mini rexes)

My bunnies are inquisitive, confident, affectionate and wonderful, happy to be picked up and stroked and (3 months in) I have no regrets about that decision. We are so so lucky to have them. I also massively appreciate the advice and support I've had from more experienced people on the forums, and have a much greater awareness of the bunny world as a result. I also appreicated all the support and advice over neutering, housing etc - has been a weird few months but you got me through it. I also read all the forum posts about bonding issues and medical issues and stasis issues and biting and don't yet feel ready to handle this. OH and I are not going to get any more bunnies until we've had Waffles and DP for a year - so we feel a tiny bit more qualfied to handle anything a bit more complicated. We also wouldn't want to get another bunny if it impacted the time and care we have for our current bunnies. However, we do now have a spare hutch, and a lot of empathy for the plight of the rescue bunny and so I think the future will result in us fostering or adopting from a rescue. And in the meantime we will do our best to help support rescues.

So although maybe we didn't start our bunny family in the most ethical or virtuous place, Waffles and DP are totally the right bunnies for us, and rescues and future rescue bunnies have one more supporter as a result, and two more humans who understand that a hutch is not enough.

I got Badger & Blueberry from a similar type of breeder. This was before I knew about rescues and everything else I've learned on here. I was looking for a very special & specific type of bunny which I couldn't even begin to explain, but I knew it when I saw it. The breeder and I are still in contact, she wasn't in it for the money either, more that she too loved animals and loved her gorgeous bunny family and enjoyed it too. I was able to see the parents and my babies have always been very confident, inquisitive and affectionate bunnies. I adore them! She also looked after her bunnies well and I think only has 2 litters a year as "they're not breeding machines" direct quote from her! Her buns were very well looked after & obviously loved too. I have also rescued Blackavar from a BYB and have seen a huge difference.

Yes, I've now spent more time on here and in future will always support rescues and adopt from them, but I don't think a blanket breeders = bad statement applies either. There are good & bad in all walks of life. I also have huge respect & admiration for rescues too. I've tried very hard on how I've worded this so I don't give the wrong impression. I've tried to give a non biased & non judgemental approach from both sides. I have no wish to pick a fight with anyone, upset anyone & also not be controversial.

I too hope the OP person sticks around - this forum is such a lovely, supportive & friendly place to be :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back