• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upset...please don't be angry !update p.90 sad news

Panjanda, I hope you and your beautiful bunny have a wonderful life together.

You are no doubt on a learning curve where rabbits are concerned........and I am still too.

If you need help, support and advice to keep bunny in tip top condition, keep posting.

Sending you both good ' get to know each other' wishes. xx

So here is a very timid hates being stroked and trying to escape every time I open the hutch Spartacus..... Got my work cut out here I think :(

c6f14e8d70332d5289f65d1abe947aca.jpg

Welcome to the forum, he is a really cute bunny :wave: Have you thought of a name yet, he looks gentle and quiet like a little cloud :love: For some reason he looks like a Rupert to me. He is shy just now but give him some time. Rabbits like it when you get down to their level, low down and sit quietly and let them come to you. Offer him some treats too and he will soon associate you with positive things like food. Hold out your hand close t his nose and if he likes you he will gently bump your hand as a sort of hello. Once he is more confident he will be comfortable with stroking and being held for short periods.

As for the rescue versus breeder debate. All rabbits come from a breeder anyway but it is important not to fund a breeder. In doing so you create a demand which they will seek to supply. For them the end result is money and to get there they will cut corners in welfare terms. Its truly irresponsible to breed and there is no such thing as a good breeder. I think the best thing you can do is to bond with your bunny and help him come out of his shell. Then get him neutered as soon as he is old enough (and vaccinated) and then wait a couple of months until his hormones have died down. Then you could take him to a rescue to meet some other bunnies and he might meet a potential friend. That way if you feel guilty about supporting a breeder you can make up for it by adopting a rescue bunny. If you ever have any spare time you can do something to raise funds or awareness for the rescue, forge strong links with them as you may want to go back in the future.

Keep posting, it will be nice to see updates of this little cutie. You have hit a little stumbling block but you can come back from it and turn a wrong into a right. You seem really nice and caring so I think the new bunny and any potential friend of his will be very lucky and happy to live with you.

Fifibutton..she has named him Spartacus.says in early post :)

and OP well done for taken the comments on board. and yep a rescue partner for him in future would be a great idea for him

I also think it's important to learn from experiences and sui I'm sure the op will now become an advocate for rescue.

Morning Panjanda, Hope you and Spartacus are well.

This thread has evoked a massive amount of emotion. I would never buy from a breeder but neither could I walk away and just leave a desperate bunny. What's done is done and no amount of negativity towards you will change that and neither should it as Spartacus obviously has a safe and very loving home now :love:

I agree that once he has settled, is neutered and you have your set up how you want it long term then a rescue partner for him would be brilliant. Hopefully then, with bunny company, he would feel much safer and happier.

Enjoy your beautiful bunny and please keep us all regularly updated on his progress or ask for advice to help him (and you) make life as good as possible.

Welcome Spartacus :wave: xxx

Welcome Spartacus. :love: Hope we will see more updates on your progress.

I'm sure most members on here would agree that they are on a learning curve in caring for their rabbits. :thumb: I didn't start out with a rescue rabbit (Spenser was a private rehome via Gumtree), but have found other ways of supporting rescues since.

Hi

Wow he is so cute lol butter would not melt in month ha ha I have 6 month old rabbit she is handful but love her to bits ;)

This thread is so skewed. Yes this breeder was bad, yes the OP made a mistake thinking they were reputable. That doesn't mean there aren't any reputable breeders.

Nobody ever mention the fact that there's rescues that are just as bad, if not worse. Nobody ever mentions that many rescue rabbits have tons of health problems (after all nearly all rescue rabbits are from pet shops and backyard breeders) but that's one of the first things people say to someone who's bought from a breeder. Everyone acts as if breeders are evil, greedy people with no morals and no knowledge of rabbits.

Threads like this if anything make me more pro breeder. Rescues in general are so distasteful imo. Constant over-zealous remarks and blaming owners and only reporting the facts that make rescues look good, never the whole truth. Bleh. It's grating and all very animal activist/PETA like.

<<now waiting to see if Williams rather rude and strong anti rescue post gets the same response as pro rescue ones do ?

This thread is so skewed. Yes this breeder was bad, yes the OP made a mistake thinking they were reputable. That doesn't mean there aren't any reputable breeders.

Nobody ever mention the fact that there's rescues that are just as bad, if not worse. Nobody ever mentions that many rescue rabbits have tons of health problems (after all nearly all rescue rabbits are from pet shops and backyard breeders) but that's one of the first things people say to someone who's bought from a breeder. Everyone acts as if breeders are evil, greedy people with no morals and no knowledge of rabbits.

Threads like this if anything make me more pro breeder. Rescues in general are so distasteful imo. Constant over-zealous remarks and blaming owners and only reporting the facts that make rescues look good, never the whole truth. Bleh. It's grating and all very animal activist/PETA like.

A lot of breeders are very selfish people. They breed their animals because they want to. They don't give a toss about the amount of animals in rescue or the amount of healthy animals destroyed day in and day out.

You actually fit into that bracket quite well William. You strike me as a very selfish little girl.

I have many friend involved in rescue, such as Jill from Honeybunnies and they are wonderful people. They are very passionate about what they do and they have very strong opinions and STAND by that opinion.

DO NOT lump them in with groups such as PETA. PETA have hidden agendas. It's not all about the animals, unlike the amazing rescuers who make such a difference.

A lot of breeders are very selfish people. They breed their animals because they want to. They don't give a toss about the amount of animals in rescue or the amount of healthy animals destroyed day in and day out.

You actually fit into that bracket quite well William. You strike me as a very selfish little girl.

I have many friend involved in rescue, such as Jill from Honeybunnies and they are wonderful people. They are very passionate about what they do and they have very strong opinions and STAND by that opinion.

DO NOT lump them in with groups such as PETA. PETA have hidden agendas. It's not all about the animals, unlike the amazing rescuers who make such a difference.

A lot are, yes. But not all of them. Generalizations are annoying but they're offensive when aimed at groups of people.

You don't know me just as you don't know all these breeders you're insulting :roll:

You can say the exact same thing about many breeders - they are very passionate about what they do and they have very strong opinions and STAND by that opinion.

You're right, the RU rescues are wonderful...I do like them despite their opinions. I complain about them on breeders threads a lot but that's because they have all these over zealous followers to take up for them. Breeders rarely have anyone take up for them.

Your bunny is lovely, and although it's sad a rescue rabbit has missed out on a lovely home, hopefully some good can come from this.
Hopefully, you can now tell people, first hand, how poorly most breeder rabbits are kept.
Hopefully, you can make people aware of rescue rabbits in need of good homes.
Hopefully, your bunny will go on to have a rescue companion to keep him company.

William, there is one difference between breeders and rescuers- most breeders are in it for money or prizes, most rescuers are in it for the animals!

Last edited:
A lot are, yes. But not all of them. Generalizations are annoying but they're offensive when aimed at groups of people.

You don't know me just as you don't know all these breeders you're insulting :roll:

You can say the exact same thing about many breeders - they are very passionate about what they do and they have very strong opinions and STAND by that opinion.

You're right, the RU rescues are wonderful...I do like them despite their opinions. I complain about them on breeders threads a lot but that's because they have all these over zealous followers to take up for them. Breeders rarely have anyone take up for them.

You don't like being insulted, yet you're so quick to dish it out.

'Over zealous followers' = People who actually genuinely care about what happens to all the animals in rescues, unlike MOST breeders and their supporters.

Your bunny is lovely, and although it's sad a rescue rabbit has missed out on a lovely home, hopefully some good can come from this.
Hopefully, you can now tell people, first hand, how poorly most breeder rabbits are kept.
Hopefully, you can make people aware of rescue rabbits in need of good homes.
Hopefully, your bunny will go on to have a rescue companion to keep him company.

William, there is one difference between breeders and rescuers- breeders are in it for money or prizes, rescuers are in it for the animals!

But this is just more generalizations. Many breeders are in it for money and prizes but there's also ones who are passionate about animals, about improving the breed and don't break even. Why are rescues/super pro rescue people so hesitant to admit that?

It seems like this particular breeder was in it for prizes - unless they were just misinformed rather than evil - there's always the chance of that. How many people on here housed their rabbits in 4ft hutches before they learned better? But they were just owners so they were completely innocent. Such double standards. :?

You don't like being insulted, yet you're so quick to dish it out.

I don't actually care because I know Im not selfish but it's a true comparison.

But this is just more generalizations. Many breeders are in it for money and prizes but there's also ones who are passionate about animals, about improving the breed and don't break even. Why are rescues/super pro rescue people so hesitant to admit that?

Most breeders have to sell on their surplus stock which do not have the correct markings for showing, are too old for breeding from or are not the right sex to breed from otherwise they end up with too many rabbits. From my own experience some even try to pass animals on to rescues pretending that they have recently purchased a pair of animals which were wrongly sexed and now have a litter that they don't want (really meaning that they are unable to sell). The vast majority of breeders are in it for the money otherwise they would not breed rabbits or any other animal. Some have better accommodation than others and some are absolutely dire as illustrated in this thread a few years ago when a number of rescues helped place rabbits and guinea pigs removed from this breeder in the south of England http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...rom-The-Lymington-68-Uplift&highlight=breeder

No rescue who neuters and vaccinates rabbits is in it for the money and definitely don't break even.

Apart from money I cannot think why anyone would go into breeding animals when there are already so many in rescues, on free ads, in pet shops, being given away for free, on pet farms and so on and so on. Maybe the rabbit situation is not so bad in America or maybe the problem is spread out more but here it is bad and I don't think anyone has the right to comment unless the have seen the problems first hand. I used to work in rescues too and I will say it again, every breeder is irresponsible. They do it purely for the money or accolades. Purely selfish reasons and many animals are bred to look a certain way which results in health problems. Breeders cause problems and add to the existing one by breeding ill animals from tired over bred mothers, in some cases they condone rape amongst animals and they usually buy the cheapest quality food and accommodation in order to maximize their profits. That is the harsh reality. Rescuing is morally better, people must vote with their wallets and help to drive breeders and pet shops selling livestock out of business. If they can't see a profit in it they won't do it. Its SELFISH TO BREED. They do not do it for the good of the animal or species. If they cared about the species they would add to the burden of unwanted animals.

I am glad Panjanda has take the comments well. Spartacus is a great name, I hope he meets his 'Varinia ' in a rescue.

no but many many are awful breeders who put profit over ensuring they dont breed to much and have over cramped and have way to small living areas, do not feed the right diet and pass on incorrect information on size of living space and care to the new owners.

breeders are doing this for profit not to help animals rescues do it to help animals all profit goes back into caring for the animals they are not paid.
they are volunteers. Breeders choose to put their animals in that situation, choose to over bread, choose to put them in inadequate living quaters... rescues though some do not provide as good quality of care, size of living space, diet etc... as others they have taken an animal who would otherwise be dead, pts, abandoned etc... they are saving lives.

There are some places calling themselves rescues who do not provide the minimal standard of care etc... these ARE NOT proper rescues.... they may have started with good intentions but they are not officially or properly recognised rescues.

but even so these places though not providing enough are still taking animals someone else has mistreated, abandoned or were going to die. They had not put them in that position they had not been the direct cause etc...

These bad breeders choose to stay uneducated choose to no inform themselves and give miss information that like when pet shops do it, leads to the animal being treated cruelty, not getting what they need or being pts or abandoned....

There are good breeders yes but I have to ask the question why do you want to get a bunny from a breeder when theres so many in need bunnies in rescues, some very young? why give money to someone bringing more bunnies into the world when theres so many needing homes?

if theres a particular breed you want there are sitting in a rescue somewhere? worried about a home check? if you dont pass its more than likely you cant meet the minimum requirements and if you disagree appeal and say why you think you meet it, my friend did this after she was told no and they changed their mind as she showed and proved she was going to do all she promised. rescues have to make sure rabbits are at least getting the min why is that not a good thing?

why would it make you more pro breeder? thats silly? why do you think they make those remarks? its soul destroying to see animals abandoned in a state, neglected, dying, suffering and hurt day in and day out knowing it could easily be stopped but it wont be... knowing that animal will probably spend the the rest of its life in a rescue for various reasons, people prefer to buy from pets shops or breeders ect.. but also knowing some of those people who choose to buy will get fed up or bored or will find it to much or will be given misinformation so those bunnies will end up in a rescue and the cycle will continue. They are brimming full but if they turn someone away its probably a death sentence for that animal

i dont agree with the rescues making snippy comments I do agree it can put people off rescuing but to say it makes you pro breeder is silly knowing the affects of over breeding and awful breeders.

i dont see how they are disgraceful just over worked, heartbroken and just wishing that more people would adopt.

people try to educate others on why breeding isnt the best choice for rabbits as a whole

A lot are, yes.

so why not take a stand and not give money to breeding?
if no one bought it wouldnt happen then we could start again once the animal situation has improved and only have well informed breeders with spacious living accommodations who provide proper diets

it will never stop unless we stop

Last edited:
Can we not turn this into a breeder debate. The rescues have made their point and with good reason and we should accept their views because they do know best. I know for a fact that this site has made me pro rescue and will make others so too.I merely am concerned with the way things are said than what is said.

Can we not turn this into a breeder debate. The rescues have made their point and with good reason and we should accept their views because they do know best. I know for a fact that this site has made me pro rescue and will make others so too.I merely am concerned with the way things are said than what is said.
i do agree like I said early you can say how you feel and what you want to say without being rude

Last edited:
Back