• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rapid breathing

tobyjones

Young Bun
Hi one of my bucks has been breathing quicker than normal for the last few days. He is eating and pooping normally and his activity level is about the same.
He is quite a nervous rabbit and has had episodes of fast breathing before, but not for this long.
He has sneezed a few times in the last week but ot put it down to the fine bits of hay at the bottom of the bag. He hasn't today and he doesn't have any discharge or mucus from his eyes or nose.
I rang the vets yesterday and the vet didn't seemed concerned as he is acting normally apart this.
However, I'm a bit concerned so I've booked an appointment for the day after next.

Could this be snuffles or anything else?

Increased respiratory rate can be indicative of a problem with the lungs or the heart, or both

He needs to be thoroughly examined by a Vet ASAP. So I would book him in for tomorrow morning.

Please take him to the vets tomorrow as Jane has suggested and have him thoroughly checked.

I have a rabbit with permanently damaged lungs due to undetected pasteurella infection. He was behaving completely normally, eating well, pooing well, no discharge from nose/eyes, yet inside the bacteria was wreaking havoc in his lungs. The first sign I had that something was wrong was when he started mouth breathing. If it is a bacterial respiratory infection, the sooner you can get him diagnosed and treated the better the outcome.

My Boris had snuffles and for a long time fast breathing was the only symptom he was displaying. Please get your bun to a rabbit savvy vet asap.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I took him in this morning, the vet said there was a little bit of noise/congestion on his chest and said it was probably Pasteurella/respiratory infection and has prescribed Baytril for a few days. She said it was at the early stages so hopefully this will sort him out.

In most cases a longer course of antibiotics is needed, at least 2 weeks/20 days (if it is indeed pasteurella). I recommend you discuss this with your vet as well.

In most cases a longer course of antibiotics is needed, at least 2 weeks/20 days (if it is indeed pasteurella). I recommend you discuss this with your vet as well.

I thought this too and did suggest this and she said as it was mild infection she didn't think it was neccesary to have longer yet, but to contact her Monday (when he finishes the injections) if his symptoms are still there. cheers.

An update on Rupert, he is still on daily Baytril injections and was making a recovery through the week. His breathing was less pronounced and his activity levels were getting back to normal. However, since yesterday he has been breathing quicker again and appearing to be going backwards despite still being on Baytril??

Take him in Monday you never want to risks they may need to increase dosages and give other meds

Yes I'm ringing his vet first thing, it's frustrating as he was getting better. He did do a massive binky this morning which he didn't look like doing yesterday.

Apologises for the lateness of this update.

It’s been a couple of months now and Rupbert still isn't right. He had about 3 courses of antibiotics which didn't really have an effect on him.
He still breaths quickly, and heavily, between 100-140 reps a minute and still has sneezing fits, I would say he is about the same when this started.
The first time he went the Vet did say she could hear a slight bit of noise on his chest when he was breathing and gave him antibiotics.

He has been back to the vet several times and she says his chest sounds clear and that his teeth seem fine.
He doesn't have any discharge when he sneezes, his eyes are fine and he is eating and pooping normally. Is activity level is normal and he has began to trust us a lot more (he is a timid ex rescue bun).

We have thought it may be a allergy so we have tried to get anything out of the house that could cause it, diffusers etc. His Hay is Timothy (which is what he’s always had) and his litter is Yesterday's News.

The only thing that changed in his environment was our carpet about three weeks before this started, it’s made of manmade fibres.

I've suggested a chest x ray and blood tests to the vet, but she is reluctant as he is such a timid/sensitive rabbit and because his chest sounds clear.

Could this be an allergy? scaring from an infection he may have had?

Does anyone have any ideas, because I'm at a loss with him at the minute.

Back