Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you dream pets/plans for future pets?

Default What are you dream pets/plans for future pets?

Are there certain pets you really really want and you know you will definitely have as soon as is possible? Are there any that you are really interested in having but not sure if you will? Are you always going to have rabbits? Do you make elaborate plans for future/dream pets like me?

OH and I were chatting about this the other day, and I have a lot of wants on my list

Firstly I want a dog, except two would be best just in case mine and OH shift patterns ever cross badly, so they'd have company. We'd also have to live in a big house with a big secure garden with a dog flap so they can choose to spend time in/out when they want!

Then I said I wouldn't mind getting a kitten too, but it'd be either cat or house rabbits (the house rabbits would have a picket fenced off area in our large open plan future dream home, dogs wouldn't be able to get in, but cats would) as I'd be too worried. OH said if we have an extra spare room we can have that as a full on bunny room, lino the floor, fill it as bunny dream-world! Then we can have a cat and bunnies as they're fully separate!

Next on my dream list are chinchillas! At least 2, but if I have room for a big enough set-up and there was a bigger group in rescue that would be awesome too!

Finally I summarised by saying that I wanted something unusual, like a couple of pigs or a couple of goats that are in a paddock attached to our garden via a gate OH said he wouldn't want anything like that, but he'd be cool with having a large chicken coop with chickens! So that's a future possibility!

Other pets I'd love to own but doubt I'll ever get a chance are a parrot (e.g. an african gray, or other big breed of parrot) and a reptile (perhaps a bearded dragon or two!)

Of course all this requires winning some money, or alternatively working extremely hard, picking up lots of extra hours and saving very very hard! I reckon I'm looking at 10 years time before I can start thinking of how to logistically house all these pets dogs, cat, rabbits, chinchillas and some chickens... sounds perfect!

I can't be the only crazy one on here who dreams of what pets I want one day and makes plans on how/when to do it all? I am a little bit obsessive about future planning even though I know plans often do not go to plan!

Mama Doe

I'm the same. I eventually want a small holding with Pygmy goats, alpacas and probably a few ponies

My dream dogs would be an Australian Shepherd and a Novascotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Can't have cats as OH is allergic but I'd have a Ragdoll

I'm hoping one day this may be possible, it would have to involve me working part time/ not at all due to the care commitments (especially the working dogs)

Hopefully one day my aim of becoming a landlord might happen, and I can do the boarding full time and have all the above. Dreams
    Bunny mum to Dixie, Blue, Indy (trio), Sir Humphrey Floofalot and River & Albie!
    Piggy mum to Mabel, Peaches and Buzz

Erm, I'm in the process of adopting a dog... I already have 4 bunnies and 2 elderly hammies. I don't think you are crazy at all!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine09 View Post
    I'm the same. I eventually want a small holding with Pygmy goats, alpacas and probably a few ponies

My dream dogs would be an Australian Shepherd and a Novascotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Can't have cats as OH is allergic but I'd have a Ragdoll

I'm hoping one day this may be possible, it would have to involve me working part time/ not at all due to the care commitments (especially the working dogs)

Hopefully one day my aim of becoming a landlord might happen, and I can do the boarding full time and have all the above. Dreams
    I used to really want a horse, until I fell off one the summer before last, and I was very lucky to not have broken my back to be honest! I now don't trust that I'd be able to control something as large as a horse, so large dog is now the biggest I'll go! Although a large pig wouldn't go amiss

Quote Originally Posted by Hele View Post
    Erm, I'm in the process of adopting a dog... I already have 4 bunnies and 2 elderly hammies. I don't think you are crazy at all!
    Awh I love dogs, I hope it all goes smoothly! Glad you don't think I'm crazy!! I'm sure a lot of people I know will think I'm crazy with all my dreams! I also have big career related dreams, and well the biggest and most unobtainable dream is that OH and I want to design our own home and have it built for us, Grand Designs style! Don't know if it will ever happen... but I know me well enough to know I won't stop dreaming of it and taking steps in that direction!

Currently in the process of adopting another bunny

I reeeeeeally (and I mean REALLY!) want a hamster! I'd have got one ages ago but 1) New bunny is priority and 2) our gerbils are in a huge bin cage & we don't have space for another one

When we eventually get our own place we definitely want kitties I'd love to take our two with us but I highly doubt MIL would let us!

If we had enough land I've always wanted pygmy goats, I think they'd be hilarious! And some chickens and/or ducks.

And lots & lots of guinea pigs! I miss my two

Ironically, being a dog groomer, I actually DON'T want our own dog!

Mama Doe

Mine wouldn't be riding horses - although I love riding I wouldn't want the commitment of having to ride a horse as I'd mainly be doing it on my own. I love riding on a hack every now and again with friends but I think if it was a daily thing on my own it would turn into a chore

I just want a couple of rescue Shetlands really
    Bunny mum to Dixie, Blue, Indy (trio), Sir Humphrey Floofalot and River & Albie!
    Piggy mum to Mabel, Peaches and Buzz

I'd love some chickens and piggies (not guinea pigs, actual piggies )

Quote Originally Posted by MissSherwood89 View Post
    Currently in the process of adopting another bunny

I reeeeeeally (and I mean REALLY!) want a hamster! I'd have got one ages ago but 1) New bunny is priority and 2) our gerbils are in a huge bin cage & we don't have space for another one

When we eventually get our own place we definitely want kitties I'd love to take our two with us but I highly doubt MIL would let us!

If we had enough land I've always wanted pygmy goats, I think they'd be hilarious! And some chickens and/or ducks.

And lots & lots of guinea pigs! I miss my two

Ironically, being a dog groomer, I actually DON'T want our own dog!
    That is strange! You probably get home after work and have had enough of dogs!

I had the same feelings about getting a hamster before I got Sid! I just wanted one so bad (had hamsters continuously from about 7 years old until I was nearly 18, so after 4 years without one I decided I NEEDED one!), and I'm so lucky with my lovely Sid, he was a RSPCA hammy

Quote Originally Posted by catherine09 View Post
    Mine wouldn't be riding horses - although I love riding I wouldn't want the commitment of having to ride a horse as I'd mainly be doing it on my own. I love riding on a hack every now and again with friends but I think if it was a daily thing on my own it would turn into a chore

I just want a couple of rescue Shetlands really
    I love shetlands maybe I'd be able to handle a shetland! It's not just riding, it's the leading such a big animal between stable and paddock and other manoeuvring, I'd be too worried now of losing control

I'd really like some rats, and I will get some as soon as I get my own place. My mum is scared of them so I can't have them while I'm at home!

I'll probably always have cats and rabbits, I've only had tiny buns so far so I'd quite like a giant at some point, but I'll probably just see what's available in rescues at the time I'm looking.

I have a list of pet names I'd like to use, but I never end up using them because when I get a new pet they don't suit any of my favourite names I'll get to use them at some point.

Thank you FondueKid! :-)

Currently bunny mum to Ruby and Willow
    Binky Free Widget and Pipkin <3 <3

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow_sammie View Post
    I'd love some chickens and piggies (not guinea pigs, actual piggies )
    Chickens definitely seem popular!! I don't know anyone, even on here, who has a pig! It would be awesome to see pictures of pet/rescued pigs!