• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas why my bun spends time alone?

lippyluce

New Kit
Hi,
I recently adopted a bunny, he's 4 years old and is neutured. He was adopted as a lone bun and I was advised this would be best for him as he was previously alone also. (He is a house rabbit). He seems to be bonding well with me- he'll follow me around and seek me out. He has a huge cupboard as his 'room' and the hallway as his own- he's not kept in a cage. In his 'room' is his litter tray, hay manger and cottage which is somewhere covered if he needs it as well as toys and feeding & water bowl.
He does seem to be fairly territoral so I clean out his room when he's in another room, and he's recently taken to nipping my fella when I'm not in the room. Anyway, my concern is that he tends to stay in his room and hallway till later in the evening. I do go to him and sit there to make it easier for him to approach me. If i'm there in the day he does come in the living room and spends time there interacting.
Am I right to be concerned about this? As I write he is lopped over on his side having a snooze, obviously happy and relaxed!
Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Sounds fairly normal tbh, rabbits are usually awake when we are asleep so he's just chilling :)

My bedroom bun tends to start waking up properly at about 4am and waking me up by sitting/lying on my chest!
My indoor rabbits only really get up in the day to eat/drink and toilet! The rest of the time they're sitting, flopping and dozing :)

Yes, rabbits are naturally more awake at dawn and dusk, and sleepy during the main part of the day.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Yes, rabbits are naturally more awake at dawn and dusk, and sleepy during the main part of the day.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you both and for replying so quickly, think I need to start relaxing and enjoy having him!
And thank you for the welcome :) x

Hi :)

Where did you adopt your bun from? Only reason I ask - I adopted my first bun Bailey (house bun) from the adoption section in P@H and they told me to keep him on his own too as he was previously and it would be hard to bond him with another bun......But after doing lots of research and speaking to people on here I decided it was best to get him a wifebun. Even though we spent all of our time with him when we were at home, we're not at home 100% and I always felt awful at the thought of him being lonely.

So I adopted Belle......bonded them (following all the general bonding advice) and they are now very happy together! And I am happy cse I'm no longer feeling guilty about leaving Bailey on his own :)

xxx

y2e7a6y3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Emma,
I adopted him from a local rabbit rescue centre. I have been thinking about adopting a wife for the reasons you have; he's going to be looked after for a couple of nights next month by a 'bunny hotel' so bearing in mind what you've advised I think I'll ask them their advice regarding his behaviour and personality.... it might be the way to go! :)
Thank you for your advice much appriciated x

Ah okay, I thought you may have received the same (more than likely poor) advice from P@H.haha.

Yes, that's a great idea 😃 my friend has recently taken her two buns to be bonded at a bunny hotel (Manchester Rabbit Boarding) and they were really good and so knowledgable so somewhere like that would most certainly be able to give you the best advice 😃

Fingers crossed you can find him the perfect girl!

xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, it's probably just the time of day he'd be napping down in the burrow (his room) and thinks you're a bit odd for not settling down for a nap at the same time :lol:

I also agree, a history of being a single bun doesn't mean he won't pair up, so it that's something you'd be interested in it's certainly worth trying. A neutered female would be the best option.

Thanks Tamsin :) Ah that's where he's going, I'd heard good things about them, even more so now! I've seen some of the bonding work they've done on FB. Just got the break the news to my fella! ha ha! :lol: x

Just echoing everyone else unless a recuse says he needs to be alone for xyz reasons I would try bonding him with another bun as may be extra happy with a wifey :) I love seeing buns cuddle up together

Welcome to the forum :)

Back