• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mxyi threat?

Ailstar

Mama Doe
This is really just to double check but I work in a rural location and when I drove in to my office this morning there was a wildie just sat in the middle of the road, it obviously had myxi. When I walked back round it had gone and I saw another guy who said he'd basically given it a quick knock to the head to put it out it's misery. If he hadn't I wasn't quite sure what I would have done I wouldn't have wanted to leave it there obviously suffering but do the vets do anything about these things if you can bring them in? And I was a bit unsure about handling a myxi wildie with having rabbits of my own. The guy also said he'd seen another wildie with myxi sat on the lawn the other day.

So really my main question is if there is known to be myxi in the area are my rabbits at any greater risk from me bringing the disease home (they are both vaccinated with the combi vaccine already) I just wasn't sure if I need to be extra cautious or if I'm ok to continue as normal?

If Myxi is in the area chances are higher of them being bitten by a mozzie carrying it, however there is a chance that you could bring it home,
If you are worried, you could change your clothes/shoes etc and have a good wash before seeing to your buns,

Myxi is doing the rounds, It is confirmed in wildies in Kent (Orpington) in my horses fields, and a few cases dotted around kent/surrey, we have the wet and mild weather to thanks for that.

Please do not be afraid to help a wildie with myxi, vets will pts, but if you leave it, it will suffer (I know this is what nature does, but I couldnt leave a bun to suffer) just take extra precaution with your own rabbits.

Great thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. I'm not overly worried really I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a massive chance of me accidentally giving it to Levi and Daisy. And I'd also never really considered what the best thing to do if you find a wildie with myxi, because I wouldn't want to leave it suffering either.

And I'm much further north than you in northumberland but I guess it's just one of those things, myxi does show up every so often.

Back