• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopted bunnies bonding with us

bunnytrio

Young Bun
We have just adopted 3 rabbits. They were born in the rescue centre so are used to handling and are very friendly. They are kept in the garden. All of the advice says that we should bond with our bunnies very slowly. We have had them for 6 days and we go into them at least 3 times a day. We always encourage them to come to us for feeding (they have a large walk in avery run with a hutch attached). They will tolerate us giving them a little stroke when they eat and will take the food from our hands. However, I know I need to be checking their bums and getting them used to me picking them up. I want to pick them up for checks, but then the advice is to take our time and let them come to us. Also, I do not want them to get unused to being handling. Has anyone got any advice? They spend most of their time in the hutch and only race around the run a few times a day. Thank you ... from a new mum who wants to the right thing!!!

It sounds like your new "family" have a lovely home. Are they all girls or don't you know yet? Rabbits as you may know do not like to be picked up too much but, as they get more confident with their new owners, they probably won't mind you picking them up occasionally.

I know some people recommend that we check their bottom every day but I have to admit I don't. I assume this is in case a fly has laid its eggs on the rabbit which would result in flystrike, if you didn't catch it early enough. If a rabbit is on a good diet it should eat its cecals (first droppings) and there shouldn't be any problem with a mucky behind, so the chances of flystrike are small imo. Flies can also lay their eggs on other parts of the rabbit, especially if one has an open wound, maybe caused by fighting.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about this, as it is usually more likely to happen in the Summer anyway, by which time your bunnies would have got more used to you, and if you really wanted to check them daily, you would be able to.

I would be more worried about them catching Mixy or VHD if they aren't vaccinated. Or getting dental problems if they are not eating enough hay. :)

Thank you

Thanks for the advice. I have 2 sisters and a buck - they are all neutered and are up to date with vaccinations. The girls have digestive issues as they were weaned to early, so I have been keeping a close eye on their droppings. It all seems ok. I have gone from a person who didn't think too much about rabbits to someone who is almost obsessed with them!!! I have so many questions! Lucky I found this forum!!! I will relax a bit about picking them up and will take my time with them. The buck is a lion head, so we will need to be grooming him - but will take things slowly!! Right... I'm off to post about hay now!!! Thank you x

It's lovely to hear that you are really into your rabbits. This Forum has loads of good advice on all aspects of rabbits. What a shame they were weaned too early, do you know how early? I have many Lionheads :) but none have to be groomed except perhaps when they are moulting. Normally rabbits groom themselves or one another. The only exception is if they are very fluffly then they need more attention.

You've come to the right place as we're all slightly obsessed with bunnies! :oops::lol::lol:

I'd agree with the advice you've already heard - take things slowly and gradually get them used to being around you before you progress on to trying to pick them up. Keep doing what you're already doing and spend as much time with them as possible (not so easy in this awful weather I know) just being around them. They're very inquisitive so you'll soon find that they'll start to approach you so just let them have a sniff etc, climb on you if they feel brave enough etc.

There's some good advice here about bunnies who hated being handle but I think it's also useful just for getting any bunny used to being picked up as it breaks things down into small steps. http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-picking-rabbit-up.asp

If you have a look through the Old Useful Topics sticky at the top of this section, there'll also be some links to old threads asking how to bond with bunnies so you might pick up some useful tips from them too.

Back