• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving bunny

Bicky123

Young Bun
Hi everyone

My little Netherland dwarf rabbit Jemima died a few days ago from a hernia operation following a spay in December. She had recently bonded with a new neutered male Netherland dwarf, Flounder, and they'd been together about a month.

It's difficult to understand if he is grieving for Jemima as I don't fully know his personality yet and he is completely different to how Jemima was.

If anyone can help I'd be really grateful. He is eating and seems normal in that sense but he has started to nip me on occasion. I really want to be able to care for him and create a bond between us so he does nothing miss her.

Unfortunately Jemima died at the vets so Flounder doesn't have any idea.

Many thanks

Alice

My best guess is that he is lonely now after experiencing how it is to have a friend, and he nips you on occasion because he wants your attention or expresses affection, that is my best guess anyways. I do not think rabbits mourn, not in the way humans do, their brains are not wired the same way as ours, but they do feel it when something in their environment suddenly changes or someone they know "vanishes", and they do feel lonely.

Try to be there for her and if possible, get her a new friend.
As for the nipping, when she does it try screaming "EEEEEEEEEEK!!" - and do it fairly loud, that way, she learns that while it may not hurt when she does it to another bunny with thick fur, human skin is simply not thick enough for bunny nips. It might take 10-20 times before she gets it depending on how quick on the uptake your lady is ;)

They do grieve, Teddy my frenchie lost his partner in the summer and turned into a grumpy depressed old man :( I did everything I could to cheer him up, new toys, fuss, moved him indoors but he still wasn't happy... so I've given in and rehomed another bun, they're not in together yet but he's a different bunny already, bonding starts soon! ;)

My best guess is that he is lonely now after experiencing how it is to have a friend, and he nips you on occasion because he wants your attention or expresses affection, that is my best guess anyways. I do not think rabbits mourn, not in the way humans do, their brains are not wired the same way as ours, but they do feel it when something in their environment suddenly changes or someone they know "vanishes", and they do feel lonely.

Try to be there for her and if possible, get her a new friend.
As for the nipping, when she does it try screaming "EEEEEEEEEEK!!" - and do it fairly loud, that way, she learns that while it may not hurt when she does it to another bunny with thick fur, human skin is simply not thick enough for bunny nips. It might take 10-20 times before she gets it depending on how quick on the uptake your lady is ;)

Thanks.
Flounder spends about five hours free run of the living room and I'd be sat on tbe floor and I can see he's getting more confident so hopefully time and patience will help. Both me and Flounder are grieving so we can look after each other!
I'll try eeking at him when he nips. It's never really hurt but he needs to understand its not ok.

They do grieve, Teddy my frenchie lost his partner in the summer and turned into a grumpy depressed old man :( I did everything I could to cheer him up, new toys, fuss, moved him indoors but he still wasn't happy... so I've given in and rehomed another bun, they're not in together yet but he's a different bunny already, bonding starts soon! ;)

Thanks for this.
Sorry to hear about that :(
But that sounds really positive ! I bet you're relieved
Best of luck

Back