• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding timid lop with twitchy netherland dwarf

scoi

New Kit
We have an 18 month old Netherland dwarf, Marshy and have just adopted a 6 month old mini/dwarf lop, Caramel. Marshy is very energetic and gets sometimes gets scared easily, picking him up is a mission and nail clipping is almost impossible. Caramel is a relaxed sloth. She's living in a cage in his territory as he has free roam. He's very intrigued by her and will sit next to her for hours and they often rub noses through the bars.

Whenever we try to have a bunny date Marshy will be fine but a soon as he sees any sign of movement from caramel he goes crazy and they chase each other, Marshy running away usually. Marshy has licked her ears once and always likes to sniff her if she's still. I think she wants to mount him and she's doing the chasing. He's managed to get some of her fur flying so I stop it immediately.

Any ideas of what to try next to move the bonding process along? More time with no dates. Let them chase a bit. Bath tub so slippery. I don't want any injured bunnies so don't know which way to go.

Are your rabbits neutered and where are you introducing them. It is sometimes best to introduce them in a small area like a dog cage which is neutral to both of them.

Both are neutered. She was only done a few weeks ago so may have some hormones still swirling around.

I'm using the bath for dates. Going to try apple juice on her ear next to hopefully distract him with yummyness.

A few hours of sitting next to each other in the bath, no grooming, fighting, just like statues with fast heartbeats, I separated them wondering if they'd ever get on. One last try before bed and Marshy's natural urges won over. She was receptive and we let him do his business until he tried it backwards which we stopped. He then relaxed on his side near her before she went for food.

Do we now let him carry on whenever he wants or do we discourage it? He spent five minutes today grooming her before giving it another go.

Caramel has also started to chase him around. No idea of this is because she isn't in the mood, wants to mount him or is angry/scared.

It sounds as if it is going well. Allow some mounting as it's what they would do if they weren't neutered. It usually takes around 3 days for them to settle with each other, sometimes longer then the mounting behaviour will calm down. IF they start to scuffle, say No and try to control it. Good luck.

Back