• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protecting floors from bunny pee

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
:lol:

I'm moving house and the plan is for Scar to have her own bedroom and be free range in there. It's wooden flooring so was gonna put down rubber mats so that she can run around no probs, just gone to buy it and apparently it's not waterproof. She is litter trained outside but she has never been a house bunny before so I don't know if she will still use her tray all the time inside. And it's not my floor so I don't want it to get ruined :?

Obv I would clean it up straight away if she did, but if I'm at work it would have to wait until I get home. I just assumed rubber mats were waterproof

Sorry half my post just isn't there :lol:

So yeah I didn't really think about this issue until today, she might it's carry on using her tray as she does now, but incase she doesn't what do other people do about this? :?

I've never seen plastic mats like that before

the main thing is that she can run around without sliding all over the place. I didn't really consider what if she pees all over the floor until this morning and now I'm just confused all over again :oops:

just would be interested to hear if other people generally worry about this with free range bunnies and what they do to prevent damaging floors. I've never had a free range house rabbit before so I obv just haven't thought everything through properly

Yes, lino could be mopped up easily. I wouldn't worry too much if the bunny normally uses a tray though.

I say she uses her tray all the time, but she could be peeing all over the floor in her run and I wouldn't have a clue :lol: she deffo doesn't pee in her hutch though, and the tray is being used so hopefully she will just continue to use it

I'm probably over thinking things, I'm only nervous because my landlord has just taken my word for it that Scarlett will be free range but won't wreck anything

I have parquet flooring everywhere downstairs and sometimes Doughnut wees outside of her tray and I just clean it up. Doughnut has 3 litter trays, one in her hutch and one in her playpen and one outside near the hutch. She does generally jump in though to wee in them.

One litter tray she is always dragging out of her hutch so during the day I put it outside with lots of hay in it and a bit of newspaper underneath near the front, as she often wees towards the back so it sometimes goes over, that way the newspaper catches it. She is generally very good litter wise, the only thing is when I confuse her as I put a bag of hay out so she wees and eats on the floor, so that's my own fault. I now put the litter tray out with lots of hay in it and that does the trick.

She is used to sliding everywhere!

you could put some cheap fleeces down? if she pees they'll hopefully soak it up and protect the mats and you can easily wash.

I would go with a bit of lino with an old rug or blanket over it ? Its only that I tried putting rubber mat in frank and bettys area and they chew it ! So had to abandon the idea

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Yeah she already has vetbed and all her blankets to go on top of whatever I put on the floor, think I would just rather something that won't absorb liquid because I can't guarantee anything I put down is going to stay there. She drags her vetbed round like a toy :lol: We are going to try lino, if it doesn't work we will rethink :thumb:

I still need to do something about the doors and skirting boards too, I think we are gonna go to B&Q at the weekend and ask for help :oops:

Hi @sillyrabbit: We just picked up our 2 Holland Lops today and I'm on the search, too, to protect the floors! Did the lino work well for you, or did you find anything better?

I just got a couple of rolls of Lino in the end, cut them so they exactly fitted the room and put them down without properly sticking them permanently. I chose one with a wood pattern, when my landlord came round once he didn't even notice that there was Lino down he thought it was the original floor :lol:

Not long after we moved my rabbit did start suffering with urinary problems and also arthritis which meant she was reluctant to get in and out of her tray, so I am glad that I covered the original floor as we did come home to find she had gone outside of her tray sometimes. I also noticed that the Lino got a bit scratched from claws when running around and playing I guess, so the Lino also protected against that

We recently moved out after three years of rabbits living free range in that room, and the floor was fine underneath when we took up the Lino. So yeah it worked great :wave:

Back