Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting floors from bunny pee

Wise Old Thumper

Default Protecting floors from bunny pee

I'm moving house and the plan is for Scar to have her own bedroom and be free range in there. It's wooden flooring so was gonna put down rubber mats so that she can run around no probs, just gone to buy it and apparently it's not waterproof. She is litter trained outside but she has never been a house bunny before so I don't know if she will still use her tray all the time inside. And it's not my floor so I don't want it to get ruined

Obv I would clean it up straight away if she did, but if I'm at work it would have to wait until I get home. I just assumed rubber mats were waterproof

Wise Old Thumper

Sorry half my post just isn't there

So yeah I didn't really think about this issue until today, she might it's carry on using her tray as she does now, but incase she doesn't what do other people do about this?

Rubber mats might not be, but surely plastic mats are.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Harry hamster
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs

Wise Old Thumper

I've never seen plastic mats like that before

the main thing is that she can run around without sliding all over the place. I didn't really consider what if she pees all over the floor until this morning and now I'm just confused all over again

just would be interested to hear if other people generally worry about this with free range bunnies and what they do to prevent damaging floors. I've never had a free range house rabbit before so I obv just haven't thought everything through properly

Wise Old Thumper

Actually maybe Lino that I just don't stick down would work

Yes, lino could be mopped up easily. I wouldn't worry too much if the bunny normally uses a tray though.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Harry hamster
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs

Wise Old Thumper

I say she uses her tray all the time, but she could be peeing all over the floor in her run and I wouldn't have a clue she deffo doesn't pee in her hutch though, and the tray is being used so hopefully she will just continue to use it

I'm probably over thinking things, I'm only nervous because my landlord has just taken my word for it that Scarlett will be free range but won't wreck anything

I have parquet flooring everywhere downstairs and sometimes Doughnut wees outside of her tray and I just clean it up. Doughnut has 3 litter trays, one in her hutch and one in her playpen and one outside near the hutch. She does generally jump in though to wee in them.

One litter tray she is always dragging out of her hutch so during the day I put it outside with lots of hay in it and a bit of newspaper underneath near the front, as she often wees towards the back so it sometimes goes over, that way the newspaper catches it. She is generally very good litter wise, the only thing is when I confuse her as I put a bag of hay out so she wees and eats on the floor, so that's my own fault. I now put the litter tray out with lots of hay in it and that does the trick.

She is used to sliding everywhere!

you could put some cheap fleeces down? if she pees they'll hopefully soak it up and protect the mats and you can easily wash.
    Make 2014 in 2014 - total 662.72

Owned by Neville and Florence, the lilac otter and himalayan Nethies
    Sleep tight darling Susie, my lovely little sable marten Nethie who left too soon xxx

I would go with a bit of lino with an old rug or blanket over it ? Its only that I tried putting rubber mat in frank and bettys area and they chew it ! So had to abandon the idea

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk