Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice from house bunny mummies please :)

Default Advice from house bunny mummies please :)

From what I understand indoor bunnies are rabbits that live indoors but in a hutch/pen whereas house rabbits run free like a cat or dog would. Please correct me if I'm wrong!?

So if I've understood that correctly - at the moment I have 2 indoor rabbits. They are nearly 5 1/2 and very well behaved. They are used to being in a spacious indoor pen and I let them out to run around the lounge whenever I am home. The lounge is bunny proofed & they have plenty of toys!

I'd say they are out four evenings a week for around four hours. They are out for the majority of the day/evening three days a week - I always put them back in their pen if I leave the flat.

At the moment I'm contemplating buying this - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater it's spacious and will keep mess to a minimum!! I know people who say bunnies are messy and stress about keeping the place tidy with them around but the three of us have managed so far!

I think I would prefer them just to have free run of the lounge 24/7 though, my worry is that I'm out 12 hours a day four days a week at work. The weekend and my one day off in the week I'm in and out but generally at the moment I'm home. Is this too long to leave them by themselves? When I'm here they tend to play a little, eat a little and sleep!

People who have house bunnies - are you generally home a lot? Do you worry when you go out?

I'm in two minds between getting rid of the pen altogether or buying this luxury new one! I guess I'm just interested in peoples thoughts and hearing from people who have house bunnies and how well it works for them etc?? TIA

People use the terms house bunny and indoor bunny interchangeably, they both just mean a rabbit that lives indoors, free-range or not.

Those pens are great, Manor Pet Housing do some great stuff, my buns are outside at the moment but they used to be house bunnies and will be again in the future, and when I move I'll be getting that pen (but a bit bigger) for my buns as they're very neat looking. I say bigger as buns really need more space than that or loads of free-range time (min 12 hours I would say), as it doesn't meet the RWAF minimum size for permanent housing http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Free range would give them lots more space so would be the preferable option. I wouldn't worry about leaving them unattended - as long as you haven't got bottles of bleach or bowls of poisonous food or house plants lying around, they are perfectly safe. The risk is more to your electrical wires and furniture, but you've already bunny proofed and I imagine you know by now if they are chewers.

Warren Scout

We have had house bunnies for 20 years + Nearly always as bonded pairs. Over the years we have found the best set up is to let them have full access during the daytime but at night we put them away in a large dog crate . They seem to like this and actually put themselves away the same time each night. Being away at night keeps up with their litter tray regime, keeps down the mess in the house a bit as well. Although our bunnies have access to the house they never come out of the lounge/dining room as they dont like the slippy kitchen floors and hallway. The lounge diner is a large area at about 35ft x 15 so it gives them plenty of space. We have doors that lead onto a decked area which they get access to in the mornings .They soon beg to come back in as they are wimps.

My wife does come home during the day for dinner ect
    Rabbit boarding for manchester , stockport ,tameside

http://www.facebook.com/ManchesterRabbitBoarding?ref=hl

Hi,

We have two house bunnies one we have had since April and one just a couple of weeks. We originally made a indoor hutch for under the stairs with a attached run, but as soon as he was litter trained we just left a little area where he has his food, drink and litter. Apart from a few mistakes by us in the way of forgetting to bunny proof a few wires we have never had any problem. He has however made under the single chair his quiet place where he likes to sleep and if he goes under there we know to leave him to it. As soon as the new arrival had successfully bonded we left her out too. Either we've been extremely lucky or you shouldn't have a problem..... However the new one is slightly messy but hoping that's something that will sort out as she gets used to everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

I have a house bunny who free ranges. I'm fortunate to have my own house so "bunny damage" is what I'm prepared to tolerate. Benjie has the habit of carpet digging if he wants to get through a closed door but that's confined to the bedroom only, & rarely happens now.
    I don't worry at all if I'm out.
    I agree with Nessar about precautions but they're what we do anyway.
    With a pair I doubt if you'll notice any change in their present behaviour when you're out.
    Benjie doesn't have a hutch or pen. He quietly lies under my bed when I go to bed, & is quiet as a mouse until I get up!

Our indoor pair have free run on the landing 24/7. They are allowed in the lounge whenever we're home. I've contemplated letting them have access to the lounge all the time, but every now and then they do get it into their heads to chew a cushion or a book or the corner of the sofa or something and if we're not here to stop them obviously they could do a fair bit of damage. It wouldn't really bother me but OH hates that sort of thing so this works best for us.

If yours don't chew though go for it!

I have no concerns about them making a mess or destroying the place while I'm out, but leaving them alone to roam around the lounge for 12 hours a day - is that a bit much?? Especially when they are used to being in a pen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sara0099 View Post
    I have no concerns about them making a mess or destroying the place while I'm out, but leaving them alone to roam around the lounge for 12 hours a day - is that a bit much?? Especially when they are used to being in a pen?
    Why? What could happen?

We are so used to the idea of rabbits in cages that it seems bizarre to have them roam the house, the same thing that we wouldn't bat an eye-lid at if they were dogs or cats. Bizarrely it seems to be more acceptable mentally if the rabbit is giant as well It just seems a bit odd because it is not what you have grown up with in society, but there really isn't much of a difference between having a rabbit free-range than having a cat or dog.

I could go into the psychology of it all, but I won't bore you

Doughnut is an indoor bunny with a hutch and playpen set up. She has the run of downstairs when I am around then I started to think about leaving her out in the lounge/dining room as everything is bunny proofed. I forgot to shut the hutch one morning and she greeted me at the front door when I came in from work. Nothing was damaged, just had poops to scope up which are scattered mainly near her hutch and she had used her litter tray for wees. From then on I left her out and I put her in over night.

Rabbits are most active at dusk and dawn so now she is out for both of them when she wants a run around.

12 hours isn't too long, in fact the longer the better. I'm sure they would prefer to free range.

My two bunnies have been house bunnies for around 4 months now (previously were in cages in the garden). They now have the back porch as their own and are not caged at all. My back porch is attached to my kitchen and I always keep the attaching door open so in theory they have the run of the back porch and kitchen. When I go out I close my kitchen door so they can't get in to the living room but it's open when I am around so they pretty much have the run of the downstairs of my house.

However, they pretty much stick to their own area! They do sometimes come in the living room but will tend to sit under my coffee table.... I had visions when I first brought them in that they would be running around all over the place but they don't really (they will occasionally have a mad five mins) so I guess it depends on the individual rabbit and their personality.

I did pick up that they don't like my wooden flooring so I have put some carpet down - thankfully an old bit in their back porch as they have started scratching and chewing at it - which I don't mind as it's an old bit but wouldn't be too impressed with if it was decent carpet!

Even with the carpet chewing I wouldn't change having them as house bunnies, I love that I get to spend more time with them than when they are outside, they have started grooming me since being indoors (so guess they feel more comfortable with me!) and I love it when I am watching tv and they come running in to the lounge for an explore.