• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbit aggressive towards everyone except her owner?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi all,

My Mum's rabbit, Alice, was a massively affectionate and cuddly bunny. I encouraged my parents to get her a friend, so they adopted Pepper (male). We bonded them at home and they are always snuggling and grooming.

The problem is that Alice seems to think she owns my Mum and is getting quite aggressive towards everyone else. She hasn't harmed Pepper, but she won't let him go to my Mum and steals treats from him. She also grunts and lunges at my Dad if he does anything 'wrong'.

Any advice?

Is she spayed?

I'd suggest you alternate who does the feeding, so everyone get a bit more of a bond and get everyone some sturdy boots/wellies so that any aggression can be ignored. Stealing treats isn't necessarily related to aggression, rabbits will often nick food from each other :)

Thanks Tamsin, yes she is spayed.

I think the main problem is that Alice won't let Pepper near my Mum, so she is struggling to check he's nice and clean etc.

:(

Aww, sounds like she's being a bit protective :)

I'd avoid getting into a situation that triggers the aggression by tempting her into a carrier with something tasty and then checking him out.

What sort of set up are they in? Spending time around them without trying to interact directly might help. For example if they are in a spare room, pop on some wellies, do a lap or two of the room ignoring the bunnies, and leave again. The idea being Alice doesn't think that everytime your mum comes it she's going to try and interact with Pepper.

Another thing is to make sure you don't accidentally encourage it by offering treats when she's in protective mode.

My Hollie was a firsty wee madam when I 1st brought her home and bonded her with Herbie. She would grunt and lunge every time you went near her. She calmed down after spending time with her.

Back