• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best place to buy 4 foot hutch for use as house bunny bed/hide hole....

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
.... without encouraging the sale of tiny hutches!?

would take the wire mesh door off/leave open constantly.

Needs to be ground level for disabled bun to hop in and out of easily.

To be used as a bolt hole/hidey safe house/bed - will be full of hay and fleece floor

Any ideas?

eBay (for used hutches) and freecycle spring to mind, maybe a Facebook selling site (although make sure they don't come with a rabbit too!)

Or if you're okay with DIY you could knock one together yourself :D

You could have a look on Amazon for pet houses, they have different houses with the entrance at floor level and do outdoor and indoor types :wave:

You could make your own from a cardboard box & cut bunny shaped entrances into it.
They like 3 holes for a hidey hole.;)

we have bought a few of the poppy pen hutches that are from pets at home, they are not good enough for an outside hutch but indoors are perfect . we have lined the floor and lapped up the sides with lino.

£55 from memory, flat pack assembly for easy transport.

22470.jpg

.... without encouraging the sale of tiny hutches!?

would take the wire mesh door off/leave open constantly.

Needs to be ground level for disabled bun to hop in and out of easily.

To be used as a bolt hole/hidey safe house/bed - will be full of hay and fleece floor

Any ideas?

I had the same issue so decided to go for a cat kennel. There are some great ones on ebay. I am really happy with ours :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

You could make your own from a cardboard box & cut bunny shaped entrances into it.
They like 3 holes for a hidey hole.;)

I have noticed the three entrance thing with my lot. I wonder if that is why they spend so much time outside their hutch (only one entrance)?

I have noticed the three entrance thing with my lot. I wonder if that is why they spend so much time outside their hutch (only one entrance)?

It's to do with multiple escape routes from predators being safer. Both Thumper & Benjie surprised me.
Both are completely safe indoors at ground level behind locked doors & closed windows, but neither will stay downstairs on their own when the "night life" comes out. They can hear, & possibly smell predators too close for comfort. Benjie is so nervous that I have to leave the bedroom door open so he can move out to the landing if he feels threatened upstairs.:shock: This is despite all sorts of hiding places in the bedroom.

Thumper had a day time hutch & run at the beginning. He started to behave very oddly, & wouldn't move from the bottom of the run whatever the weather. All became clear when I saw a cat stalking him using the blind spot made by the hutch for cover. Changing the orientation of the hutch & run solved the issue.

They really hate having a predator close & above them too. A bit of "catproofing" mesh overlapping the hutch roof might help. It's a case of a deterrent without injuring the cat/fox.

I can't say exactly why your buns do this, only make suggestions about what rattles my own.

Back