• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet broke my rabbits back!!!

Tawsey1

New Kit
I got up this morning and noticed my gorgeous bunny had a bleeding paw. I arranged an appointment with the vet and took him along. My rabbit always hated the vets and didn't like to be handled. I told the vet this. He opened the box and grabbed him which scared him he ran and the vet grabbed him by the neck! It was very distressing he had ripped his fur off!! Once he picked him up he said he had a broken nail that he needed to remove so he took him into another room. When he came back my rabbit was in his box. I went home and as soon as I opened the box I knew something was wrong! He wasn't moving! I phoned the vet and was advised to bring him back. When I returned the vet said he had broken his back during "the struggle" and that he needs to be put down. As you can imagine I am devastated! I took my bunny to the vet with a sore paw and he hasn't came home! The vet has tried to tell me that this is a risk with rabbits and that it is no ones fault however, surely vets are trained!!! I am looking for advice as to what I can do! I do not want this vet to deal with other rabbits if he isn't handling them correctly or if people know that this is common please let me know!

I'm so sorry.

Can this be reported? There must be someone it can be reported to - maybe Tamsin knows?

Terrible.

That is not a natural thing to happen, the vet clearly wasn't holding your poor bunny securely enough :( You should definitely report this to the RCVS ( https://www.rcvs.org.uk/home/ ) and tell them that he not only broke your rabbits back through improper handling but then sent the rabbit home when something was clearly wrong :( I'm so sorry for your loss

Oh my god, that is horrific, I'm so so sorry :cry: you will have to write or email the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons to explain exactly what happened. That vet should no WAY be allowed to practice if he handles rabbits like that. Your poor bunny :cry: and I can't believe he even let you take your bunny home with a broken back! He would have known what he'd done!!! This is just totally and utterly barbaric. You must complain, both to the practice and the RCVS. Xxx

how awful im soo sorry to hear this, id defo complain about the vets, they shouldn't be fit to practice, yes rabbits have delicate skeletal systems, but a vet should know how tp handle a bunny and examine, sorry for your loss :cry:

Thank you all for responding! The vet made me feel as if this was a common thing for rabbits but my instincts told me that vets should be trained! We told him that Benji was nervous and very jumpy! I will definitely complain! I am absolutely heart broken! I think I am still in shock! He only went to the vet with a sore paw!!! Thank you all for your kind words!

A rabbit should never be picked up by his neck. The vet should have allowed you to lift bunny if he was unsure when bunny went hopping off and the fact that he took him out the back and out of your sight clearly shows that he knew something must have happened and was checking bunny over. And knowing there was a problem, he put the rabbit back in it's box to go home? Totally shocking and definitely needs reporting.

Rabbits are delicate and mishandling of any kind can lead to skeletal problems and breaks, especially if the rabbit is kicking out, but you assume that a vet would know how to handle a rabbit in any situation. So sad.

Reporting it won't help you with your sadness :-( and I am so sorry you lost your rabbit, especially in these circumstances. However, this is huge negligence on the vet's part and the practice needs to ensure that it never happens again.

Thank you all for responding! The vet made me feel as if this was a common thing for rabbits but my instincts told me that vets should be trained! We told him that Benji was nervous and very jumpy! I will definitely complain! I am absolutely heart broken! I think I am still in shock! He only went to the vet with a sore paw!!! Thank you all for your kind words!

It's not common at all, the only time I've ever heard of it is where a rabbits fallen off something high or has been handled very badly and dropped, sounds like he's trying to cover his tracks :( Please do all you can to get this disgusting excuse for a professional fired and hopefully struck off the veterinary register all together :evil: Aside from the RCVS make sure you complain to the actual practice or whoever owns the chain. Have you paid them yet?

Terrible. Complain.

It is right that bunnies can struggle and break bones which is exactly why care is needed and your vet ought to have known. :(

I have to say, I wonder how the vet knew the break meant bunny needed to be put down without an x-ray. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot believe this and I am so sorry that this has happened to you.

I agree with the other posts that this vet/practice needs to be reported to the RCVS. From what I can remember, the RCVS do recommend complaining to the practice in the first instance, normally the practice manager, however given the severity and dare I say incompetence in handling the bun this needs to be reported to RCVS.

I am so very sorry that you and your bunny have suffered this dreadful ordeal.

This is completely shocking, you should definitely take this to the RCVS via their complaints procedure. I've been through this process recently on behalf of the rescue where I volunteer. There is info about how to take the complaint forward on the RCVS website and you'll find the official form on their website too.

Although it will be very raw at the moment, it would be a good idea to write things down while the sequence of events are fresh in your memory, it will make it easier to remember everything when you come to complete the form.

Again, I am so very sorry. xx

Binky Free Bunny xxxx

What a horrific situation. I am so sorry to hear this.

Fee x

I'm so sorry to hear this. How devastating.

Please report the vet to the RCVS it's something they'd take seriously.

I sincerely can't believe what I just read. :(

As others have commented, get this vet reported

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your bunny.xxx

I have written my complaint to the practice manager. Thank you all for your opinions! You have made me determined to get this investigated to ensure no one goes through this! My poor rabbit was only 3years old an was a healthy bunny! I cannot understand what has happened today! But thanks for confirming that this vet mishandled my rabbit!

this is just shocking,I am so sorry,you must report the vet to the RSPCA as he knew that he should not have sent your bunny home ;-(

this is beyond heartbreaking. i am so very sorry that this has happened. :cry: this is disgraceful practice by the vets. take this as far as you can. massive hugs x

This is awful, I am so sorry you lost your bunny in this way. It certainly is not common at all, the vet was trying to cover up his negligence.

I have an unhandleable bunny which always makes me anxious when she has to go in. The vet is very accommodating and we now have the consult on the floor or as much done in the carrier as possible. Previous to this I didn't and she bolted and I only just caught her by her back legs. it was horrendous. Accidents can happen, but you prewarned the vet of Benji's nervousness and jumpyness and to send a bunny home with a broken back is absolutely inexcusable. :(

Binky free Benji xxx

Back