• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my shetland has had to be pts after dog attack.

Sorry for your tragic loss.

I am so glad that you 'get' dogs. I think you are right to take this further.

RIP Silver.

I'm so very sorry :cry: RIP Silver ((((((((((((((Huge hugs for you, hun))))))))))))
What a very sad situation. It boggles my mind that things like this still happen when people must realize that dogs can be dangerous at any time, even if you know them well, and there's no excuse for having them off lead like that.
I hope things will work out with you taking this forward with this lady. Good luck to you. xxxx

I am so sorry, as others have suggested I think you should take this further and as you stated you don't want to have the dogs pts could you make the lady responsible pay for the vets bill you will get for having Silver treated then pts? It won't make the lose any easier but it may make her think about having her dogs off the lead!

We have a field next to our house where people walk their dogs and a while back one of our neighbours dogs was attacked while he was on the lead by two dogs off the lead, our neighbour made the other owner pay the vets bill in return for not reporting them to the police!

Just an idea?

Im so sorry, you are doing the right thing by taking it further. When I worked on a horse yard we had a German Shepard and a Jack Russell attack 2 pet sheep we had there. One was killed and the other seriously injured but was ok in the end. We called the RSPCA to get the dogs as they had no owner with them and the RSPCA lady said that once they get a taste for that kind of thing they will more than likely do it again. It must be very hard to intervene when you have 2 large dogs go into a wild attack mode but she must be made accountable through her omission. This is how to make people into responsible pet owners, to make it clear that there are laws in regard to keeping animals more than just the basic care. It will definitely make her more responsible in future if she is able to keep the dogs plus will maybe make any other dog owner who hears about it have a think about their own dogs when off the lead.

So sorry, how awful this happened to your poor pony :(. I'm so glad she had many good years with you though.
I hope the dog's owner faces the consequences. Thinking of you.

RIP Silver ~xxx~

Last edited:
Oh my Lord how absolutely heartbreaking for you I'm so upset for you :cry:

I'm glad you are taking this further I certainly would, you can't walk dogs like that past fields with horses in off a lead :(

Gallop free at the Bridge Silver all well again xxxxxxxxxx

Thinking of you xxxx

I'm so very sorry for your loss :cry::cry:

Gallop free Silver, go find my old boy and the bridge, he'll take care of you xx

Sending hugs xxxx

What a horrific happening.
I'm so sorry for your loss especially in these circumstances.

I'm so sorry :cry::cry:

What a terrible thing to happen :cry:

I'm glad you are taking things further so nobody else has to go through what you have.

again thank you so much to all of you for your replies and support. its good that you all feel I am doing the right thing and I'm not over reacting due to being upset.

so far the following has happened.
I had a call from the lady who has the dogs asking how silver was. I told her he had been pts due to him being in shock and too old to deal with it.
the woman got very upset and said she had also called offering to pay for any expenses. she told me the dogs belonged to her son who lived with her but worked away a lot and she had no idea they would have gone for Silver but her son had been told and was also distraught about it all, it was his offer to pay any fees.

I told her that although I appreciated her calling I was too upset to think about anything clearly but that it had been reported to the police and they were calling to see me later that day.
I said as that area was fields full of horses, sheep, hens and geese any responsible dog owner with common sense would have kept their dogs on a lead and under control.
we left it with me saying someone would be in touch when I'd spoken to the police.

the police came and I handed over photos and gave them details of what I knew. they also took my aunties number who owns the land and witnessed the attack and the man who tried to help and also saw everything gave his details to pass on. I also gave copies of the vet bills and cremation costs.

I told the police I didn't want the dogs destroying but I had a friend in the RWA (Rottweiler association) who was happy to help in any way she could. so they also took her details and agreed it could be a way forward. they also asked me not to have any direct contact with the woman until they got back to me but I did tell them she had already called me and told them what had been said.

the police called me yesterday to say they have arranged to go see the woman with the dogs tomorrow.

I should also get Silvers ashes back late next week. He will be put with the ashes of my 14'3 horse Monty who died in his sleep 3 years ago of old age. I'd had Monty for nearly 30 years and I know Silver missed him when he died.

I still feel ill thinking about how Silver went, I also feel like the last connection to my childhood has gone..
I'm 42, silly isn't it? :cry:

You're definitely not overreacting to the situation, you've been put in a horrific predicament :cry:. I would probably feel the same about not wanting the dogs destroyed, unfortunately it's instinct I suppose. I kept my pony from childhood until he died, when I was in my 30s and the fact that he is no longer around hurts so it's definitely not silly. I've found time is a great healer though. Sending big hugs xx

You are dealing with this hideous situation brilliantly, I hope the police go down the route you suggested and take the dogs away rather than anything else. It is far too easy to get hold of dogs, and this means that it is the animals and other people that suffer, I know several people who have got themselves into all sorts of trouble by getting themselves a dog without the understanding of what they require. It's not fair that it was Silver that suffered in this case and you left to pick up the pieces :( *hugs*

As for feeling silly, don't, I don't think you can ever be too old to want a link to your childhood and to have a living breathing one snatched away through a woman's sheer stupidity is heartbreaking.

I'm so sorry to hear about Silver.

I really admire your compassion, though. It's not the dogs fault, and you recognise that, but instead you're thinking about how something can be sorted for them, whilst also allowing you some closure as well.

I'm sure Silver and Monty will be having fun at the bridge together, it's not silly to want links to your childhood xxxx

Back