• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP HELP HELP - post-castraion aggression

HannahM

New Kit
We got our two male rabbits castrated yesterday. They seem to be doing fine and recovering well, although the smaller of the two has seemed a little bit subdued. However, we've noticed a sudden change in the behaviour of the larger one - he's suddenly started humping the smaller one - repeatedly and without seeming to tire until we separate them. Is this common? Will it calm down? Most importantly, should be keeping them separated, or will this cause more problems when we try and put them back together? They've always been fine together, this has literally just started since the operation yesterday. I'm worried the little one is going to be stressed/traumatised/physically hurt by the other one - but I'm also worried that by keeping them separate we're making it worse. HELP!

The problem might be the weird smell from the vets - rabbits rely a lot of scent for identifying friends. Plus being under the weather can effect hierarchies.

If at all possible I would keep them together, but obviously if at any point it turns more aggressive that just humping and you think there is a risk of injury you'll have to separate. If that happens keep them as close as possible so they can see/smell each other.

Hopefully the humping will settle down again :)

Hi I haven't had any experience with 2 males together so hopefully someone more experienced will come along. However I would separate them as they could do some harm to each other. Their hormones wont calm down for a few weeks so I would keep them separate until then and then try and rebond.

I'm afraid I don't have experience with 2 males either, but it could be that if the smaller one is feeling a little subdued the other one is sensing that he is vulnerable and unfortunately it can take some weeks before the hormones die down completely.

If possible, I would separate them but keep them close together so they can still smell each other scents and see each other, that may it might be easier to put them back together when the smaller one is feeling a bit brighter.

I agree - separate them to avoid injury but next to each other with a divide so they can keep the bond and see each other

Back