• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More questions...sorry!

justjo

Young Bun
Sorry guys but I have a few more questions as the googlebox doesn't give me a straight answer...

First a silly question... why do rabbits eat their litter tray :shock: ? I put newspaper at the bottom of Dexters and then hay. I am watching him now and although he has a perfectly full hay rack he is digging around his litter tray and eating the hay from there!!?

Okay now some more serious ones...

First, vegetables... I have read that you shouldn't introduce fresh vegetables to rabbits under 6 months old, is this right? Some people seem to say no and some yes?

Secondly, pellets...can rabbits get addicted?? I am being serious! Dexter literally acts like a deranged maniac at the sound of pellets being put in his bowl...he goes nuts! My husband often comments that he acts as if we starve him! If he is addicted then what did i do wrong and is there anything I can do to change this? If you don't believe me watch and observe!.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEvXqYeb7uA

Last of all for now, and this is a very selfish question, tomorrow I am returning to the UK for 2 weeks. My husband is working so he will stay here as will Dexter of course. Will he remember me when I get back or will I have to start again from scratch?(Dexter that is, not my husband...i hope :shock:)

Thank you for your help :)

Jo

As for the litter tray I have no idea Merry and Pippin do it too though.

I gave mine fresh veggies from the beginning as they were nibbling garden plants etc when I got them at 3 months old but I did it a little at a time.

As for the pellets I dont know why rabbits love them so mucb but they do merry and pippin run round my feet when theg hear pellets lol.

Lastly when I went away n the other half looked after them my two seemed alright about it all.

Hope thsf helps xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Every bun I've had has gone mad for pellets haha, it's a good way of enticing them away from somewhere they're not meant to be.
The hay out of the litter tray sounds normal too, I've never had a bun who regularly eats from a hay rack or feeder, they've always pulled it out and eaten it off the floor once it's been trampled on a few times.
I wouldn't worry about going away either, your house will still smell like you so he shouldn't 'forget' about you. So long as you have plenty of hugs and treats for him when you get back it should be fine :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Rabbits love eating the hay in their litter trays - they poo or pee as they eat! No problem at all as long as you change it every day. Mine won't even touch hay in a hay-rack.

I'm not sure how old they should be before veg is introduced - but you could certainly try a few herbs to begin with.

Most rabbits go absolutely crazy for their pellets - we have to ration them otherwise they won't eat the most important part of their diet - hay. A bit like children preferring to fill-up on sweets rather than eat proper meals.

I can't remember what else you asked .... sorry!

Thank you all so much. He's basically a perfectly normal crazy rabbit then? That's good to hear :)

So long as you have plenty of hugs and treats for him when you get back it should be fine :D

Spoiled isn't even going to begin to describe Dexter when I get back! I have a huge shopping trip planned and the best thing of all...I am going to blame it all on my mum and sister when my husband has a fit :lol::lol::lol:

Most rabbits go absolutely crazy for their pellets - we have to ration them otherwise they won't eat the most important part of their diet - hay. A bit like children preferring to fill-up on sweets rather than eat proper meals.

Phew! I do ration him now as he eats whatever we put in his bowl. He never used to though...

Back