• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Massive Dilemma. Bonding 2 females, conti and smaller bun.

xCupcakex

Young Bun
Hi all
I have very recently (last Friday) got a conti female who is a house bunny. The plan was to get her spayed and keep her as a house bunny. That plan hasn't changed. Up until the early hours of this morning I also had 2 outdoor bunnies, Cupcake and Sooty, male and female , both been done. Sadly I lost Sooty this morning, I am absolutely devastated but I'm also very concerned about Cupcake as i don't want her to become lonely. The dilemma i have is do I bond Cupcake and Jessica, once Jess has been spayed and have them both indoors or do i get another male for Cupcake and keep them outside. Ive got quite a few questions so bear with me.
1. Is it possible to bond 2 female of different ages and sizes. (Cupcake is 5 years, Jess is 6 months. Cupcake is a smaller breed, like a dwarf lop but with uppy ears)?
2. Can i bring Cupcake inside while I'm waiting for Jessica to be spayed/healed?
3. Can i bring Cupcake inside while i find her a partner if bonding isnt possible?
4. If i bring her inside when would i be able to take her/them back out?

I only live in a 1 bed flat so its not massive and also have 2 cats so space is a bit of an issue if Jessica and Cupcake don't get on. However having said that id love to have Cupcake in the house. Just don't know what to do.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya,
Sorry you lost Sooty. :cry:

It is possible to bond females, not always easy, but possible. One problem you might encounter is finding a neutral space in your flat to try the bonding. (Could use the bathroom!)
They'd both absolutely need to be spayed too.

If that didnt work out and Cupcake had already been living inside, then you'd need to wait till spring/summer to put her back outside with a new partner.

Good luck with whatever you try to do!

Thank you for replying. Jessica is booked in for her spay on the 27th but not sure about bonding now as she seems so much more bouncy than Cupcake.

I'm in a similar situation. I've posted on another thread because bonding isn't going too well between my older tufty and baby who is too young to go out at the mo. Like you, I'm short of space and even considered bringing tuftys really big hutch it but that's just not gonna resolve it. I hope you can get a good resolution, I think I may have to rehome my baby and she is such a beautiful little thing.:cry:

Whereabouts are you located? Someone on here might be able to help with the bonding. Or I know a local rescue to me will bond (if they have space) in exchange for a donation :)

In my experience, sometimes it can work well if one rabbit is very confident, and the other is shy. You mentioned one being bouncier than the other.

When I introduced Rupert and Daisy they hated each other because they both had strong personalities. April however, has been bonded twice with two dominant males and has no problem being the follower.

Back