• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For those of you who have experience of owning giant breed bunnies, a question.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
Delilah, a conti giant x French lop has recently come to live with Frankie.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Delilah but my goodness she is a handful in every way.

Now, I am curious as to whether or not most giants are:

Very food orientated.
Extremely adventurous.
Extremely inquisitive.
Exceedingly demanding where attention is concerned.
Totally fearless.

And last but not least...................full of life.

Delilah was a much loved house bunny who was only in rescue for a couple of days before she met Frankie, so she never thankfully suffered at the hands of an either cruel and or inexperienced owner. Perhaps this would explain why she is such a strong and determined character. Other than my first two bunnies, the rest have come from rescues and their behaviour has been so different by being so much more subdued and seemingly troubled in their demeanour.

So is it nature, nuture or a mix of both?

By my experience of a conti - YES to all of the above.

:D

By my experience of a Frenchie - NO to all of the above.

The conti genes aren't the recessive ones then...... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks SJH, it looks like I am in for an absolute earth shattering awakening then!!!!! Delilah is so, so, so full of life that other than her physical form, in most other ways she has qualities of a cat, a dog............definitely not what I have experienced from bunnies in my past!!!!

This is another step in me learning about caring for bunnies.......yaaaaay!!!:thumb:

Thanks SJH, it looks like I am in for an absolute earth shattering awakening then!!!!! Delilah is so, so, so full of life that other than her physical form, in most other ways she has qualities of a cat, a dog............definitely not what I have experienced from bunnies in my past!!!!

This is another step in me learning about caring for bunnies.......yaaaaay!!!:thumb:

They are so lovely but they are demanding in every sense.

My mum used to have all my previous bunnies to stay (in her house) if I went away; now, she comes here daily at 9 a.m. (30 minute drive each way) and stays until 8 p.m. to bunny-sit as, after his first visit when quite young, Hector went on a rampage around her house and has been barred....oooops!! :D

Demanding.............you are right there. I've no children, but Delilah is SO demanding I imagine that she is on a par with having toddlers to care for. I hardly dare not turn my back for a moment......certain areas of the garden were bunny proofed.....but not enough to stop Delilah, the fenced off herbs.........eaten, the picnic table.........conquered, the parasol pole.....she has tried to climb so all in all nothing is safe from her!!!:shock:

But she is gorgeous.:love:

In my short experience of 2 Contis - yes to all! They are an armful. When they were upstairs they almost wrecked the place. But they're very lovely.

Also in my experience yes to all - my friend has a conti who I look after when she goes on holiday. But I've think you've forgotten to add smart, cheeky, obstinate, crazy, bossy..... shall I go on :lol:

Last edited:
Ha ha ha! I'm loving these reflections of owners; not ones for the faint-hearted. It's why I actually think many end up in rescues when people find they have bitten off more than they can chew (I don't mean any of us by that).

One the plus side, there is certainly a degree of intelligence! It is possible to "train" them of a fashion although it's mighty hard work. I suspect you need them from young too. Sooooo worth it though. H is a good boy now, most of the time..... :)

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and that is what makes them such FABULOUS bunnies :D Buster is a dog in rabbits clothing, follows me everywhere, always falling over him, LOVES his food :lol::lol: stretches right out in the middle of where I am trying to hoover, and even when going right up close to him refuses to move, and I have to physically pick him up and shift him.

You are so lucky, they are just the best bunnies ever, with the most enormous characters. Hilarious when he is trying to binky, such an ungainly bun, but trys his best. I'd think long and hard about letting her see your bed, because I made that mistake, and Buster now sees it as his :shock: Some mornings I wake to a giant fluffy white head on my pillow :lol::lol:

Yep sounds like a conti! :lol:

It currently sounds like I have a herd of elephants upstairs when in fact it's just one conti making the noise :roll:

Frenchies are more like 'normal' small buns. They still have plenty of character but you have just described a conti to a tee!

Back