Thread: Kale - Safe or Unsafe?

Default Kale - Safe or Unsafe?

Read on a few pages that Kale is safe for rabbits and on others that it is unsafe

Any advice?

It is safe, although may cause gas in some rabbits. And it is fairly high in calcium, so no good for buns prone to bladder sludge

Rest in Peace my little Honey-Pie, I will love and miss you forever sweetheart xxxxxxxxxxx

Mama Doe

Kale is a brassica - same as cabbage - so use exactly the same as cabbage. It is OK for rabbits in general, though some are sensitive to it.

Introduce it slowly (like you would other foods to rabbits), I gave loads to Harvey and Lilly once, they loved it but Harvey was sensitive to it and it made him gassy (he went into stasis, I gave him gut stimulant as recommended by a vet, he released a lot of gas and slowly began eating again), Lilly on the other hand probably ate more of it than him and had no problems!

Warren Scout

we have been giving kale to our resident rabbits and our boarding guests for years and no problems here . However they only really like it when its 1 day fresh , any older and they just wont eat it
    Rabbit boarding for manchester , stockport ,tameside

http://www.facebook.com/ManchesterRabbitBoarding?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by ripminnie View Post
    It is safe, although may cause gas in some rabbits. And it is fairly high in calcium, so no good for buns prone to bladder sludge
    Exactly what I was going to say. My Spenser loves kale but is rarely given it. He seems to favour all the high calcium veggies.

Wise Old Thumper

Exactly

Wise Old Thumper Mrs. Bunnykins's Avatar

In my experience.....the above applies.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Banned

Rather unsafe in this house... Buster is obsessed with the stuff and will kill for it