• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits nearing being bonded - food issues

sparkyblue87

Young Bun
Hi all,

After nearly two weeks our two female buns are appearing to bond again, they are playing together, lying together, grooming each other, there is reduced nipping (only when they want a groom) and very very rare humping. The only issue is feeding, one rabbit (Fudge - mini lop) appears possessive at feeding times and tries to take the food from Snowy's mouth. They are still not living together as I don't want them to move in again until able to eat together, just bunny dates of between 3-4 hours.

Any advice on the food issue?

Thanks

Are they both spayed?

My very loved-up bunnies still have a little chase at mealtimes, and will attempt to steal food from the others' mouth :roll:. I wouldn't be overly worried about this as long as it doesn't descend into aggressive behaviour and as long as you don't think it is 'bullying' behaviour, like one rabbit is being completely excluded from mealtimes.

There is always a lot of excitement at feeding times. I don't think there is an answer to this only scattering the food so they are frantically trying to find it instead of getting aggressive with one another.

They never normally hurt one another, it's just something rabbits do.

All mine regularly eat from each others mouths. One will grab some greens and another will chase him or her and start eating them! I always scatter feed and make sure that there are more pieces of food than there are rabbits so that everyone can settle down and eat together! (Which they do eventually).

I have no problem when I give mine their greens as I split them between the two litter trays when I've cleaned and filled with fresh hay each morning. I mix up the veg with the hay to give them something to forage for. If I give them some extra in the run during the day, my two will try to eat the same piece, but no nastiness. I scatter feed the pellets.

My two fall over themselves to get to the end of the run when they think i have food and they also take each others food form there mouths but never have they fought over it .. :p

Back