• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New here, need advice on stubborn bunnies

This is my first time owning rabbits, and posting on this forum, so bear with me!

I have two lovely Dwarf Lop and Netherland dwarf cross rabbits, we keep their hutch in the garage, and in the mornings before we go to work we bring them inside for a couple of hours, to run around and feed them, and then the same in the evening. Our girl rabbit runs straight into her pet carrier (we take the top bit of the carrier off and the cage front bit off, line it with newspaper and hay) but our boy rabbit doesn't seem to want to get in. We've tried everything to get him in he just won't listen. A couple of times I've just picked him up and put him in and he has been fine, but he doesn't really like being picked up, and I don't want to force him out.

This morning the same thing happened again, she jumped straight in and started licking my hands (so cute) but he just kinda sat there looking at me, I called his name for a bit, and tried to lure him in with a raisin, but no joy. The times when I have just picked him up and brought him in, he's been so happy when he has got in, running around, hopping, rolling on the floor, so I know he is happy. I'm just confused, he doesn't necessarily liked being picked up, and I don't want to invade his space by just grabbing him, if he doesn't want to.

They've never been separated, as we got them from a girl my boyfriend works with, and they were the two rabbits that were inseparable. So I don't want to bring her inside for a run around and breakfast if he isn't with her.

Any advice on how to make the transition easier for him?

Thanks in advance. xxx

I know they're in the garage but unless its the same temperature as inside the house you shouldn't be bringing them in and putting them back in the garage as the temperature change could make them quite poorly, so you either have to bring them in and keep them in or set up an area in the garage where they can have exercise.

Also bunnies don't like to be picked up its their prey instinct it's all on their terms I'm afraid :lol:you can't train him out of it :lol:

Last edited:
Most rabbits will not willingly go into a pet carrier, only a small percentage will. To them it is definitely a trap so their instincts tell them to distrust it. How old are they and have they been neutered?:D

Most rabbits will not willingly go into a pet carrier, only a small percentage will. To them it is definitely a trap so their instincts tell them to distrust it. How old are they and have they been neutered?:D

Hey, they are just over 3 months old, and we have them booked in at the vet for neutering just before Christmas. Yeah I was thinking that, although when we have him inside he loves jumping in and out of the pet carrier.

I know they're in the garage but unless its the same temperature as inside the house you shouldn't be bringing them in and putting them back in the garage as the temperature change could make them quite poorly, so you either have to bring them in and keep them in or set up an area in the garage where they can have exercise.

Also bunnies don't like to be picked up its their prey instinct it's all on their terms I'm afraid :lol:you can't train him out of it :lol:

Do you think it could be the temperature change he doesn't like? The breeder we got them off said it was okay if we kept them in the garage, and brought them inside, as long as it wasn't an extreme temperature change, and with our bad central heating, it's probably quite similar.
:D
Gonna move the hutch in the spare room tonight then I think, otherwise I'll just worry now! Thanks. :D

:thumb:

Thumbs up to moving them inside, I am an indoor bunny mummy and it's the best!
Have you tried leaving the pet carrier out when they are playing? I have a top opening pet carrier and I leave it in my bunnies' room and put a blanket in it so they can use it as a little basket. They now will happily hop in and out of it, although I do still have to coerce them sometimes if we're going to the vets etc!

:thumb:

Thumbs up to moving them inside, I am an indoor bunny mummy and it's the best!
Have you tried leaving the pet carrier out when they are playing? I have a top opening pet carrier and I leave it in my bunnies' room and put a blanket in it so they can use it as a little basket. They now will happily hop in and out of it, although I do still have to coerce them sometimes if we're going to the vets etc!

Hi Cari :)

Yeah, of course, when I bring them inside I leave the pet carrier out, and leave it out with a blanket in, which they like to snuggle in! We try to give them treats in the pet carrier when they are inside, so they don't associate the pet carrier with being frightened!

Definitely strongly wanting to move them indoors now though, we have a spare bedroom that needs a little bit of sorting out but could be a great bedroom for them. No wires in there and a perfect size. Excited to be an indoor bunny mummy now! :love:

Hey, they are just over 3 months old, and we have them booked in at the vet for neutering just before Christmas. Yeah I was thinking that, although when we have him inside he loves jumping in and out of the pet carrier.

I would be concerned about possible pregnancy. It would be very dangerous for a doe at that age. If they were mine I would separate them until after their ops. Are you sure they are a male and a female? (I had what I thought were two girls, turned out to be two boys)!

I would be concerned about possible pregnancy. It would be very dangerous for a doe at that age. If they were mine I would separate them until after their ops. Are you sure they are a male and a female? (I had what I thought were two girls, turned out to be two boys)!

Hey there.

Positive they are male and female, already been to the vets to have them checked over and vaccinated.

The vet said they definitely aren't sexually mature yet, when we went a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been overly worried about her getting pregnant, but should I be? The vet was reassuring on that it was very very unlikely and didn't indicate they needed separating. It's really hard as a first time bunny owner when everyone says different things. :? He has been trying to hump her, however when we consulted with the breeder, she said that was probably him asserting his dominance in a new environment?

They haven't been separated since they were born, not sure how they would handle it.

She could definitely get pregnant anytime now. I can't believe be the vet said not to separate :shock: I would suggest separating in case of pregnancy. I would purchase another cage and keep them apart until 6 weeks after their ops and rebond

Back