• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I got slapped

deli

Young Bun
For sticking my hand in the cage to pet my rabbit after giving a bit of fresh hay, because she's trying to sleep. It felt like two quick slaps from her paw. Not a proper scratch. No growls. No stomps. Just slaps and laid back down closing her eyes after finishing that strand of hay. If thousands of strands in that pile of hay, she eats 1 and goes back to sleep.

Aw that's so cute, i have images of bunny of a chaise longue and batting you away with a distaining paw for trying to disturb her :D

What is your rabbit's name? You post a lot about her but I dont think I have ever read her name? What kind of rabbit is she, and what sort of housing-set up do you have for her (as a small space will increase grumpiness in a rabbit) ? How long have you had her?

I think that sounds like when Katie "boxes" me, which she only does when she is feeling grumpy and territorial or if she is hiding in her carrier and I need to get her out. Katie has not yet been spayed which means she is more territorial than she would be if I spayed her (Im going to do it after Christmas when I have two weeks off work so I can be with her during her recover).

Is your rabbit spayed?

Without seeing it, I could be wrong but it sounds like she was telling you to "go away!" or at least thats how I interpret it when Katie does it to me.

Katie of course is also very loving, will sit on me for hours, will happily cuddle which most rabbits wont, and periscopes up for nose rubs and loves to circle my feet. But everybun has their grumpy moments ;)

x

I've been boxed before, it's kind of like if you go to touch a cake that belongs to someone else and they slap your hand away! That's how I felt :lol:

Shimmer has only done it very occasionally to me, usually if I put my hand in their cage to stroke Charlie, her partner, she gets very protective of him and sometimes 'boxes' my hand. There's no mistaking it, this is definitely a 'get off, don't touch me/my things' statement :lol:

Female rabbits, especially, can get very territorial ;)

Back