• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Rescue in Toruń, Poland

Dynaheir

Warren Scout
Hello everyone!
I would like to introduce You to one of the Polish Rabbit Rescues. It is the first shelter for rabbits that was created in Poland. It was possible due to the kindness of the Animal Shelter in Toruń that made a room available for the Rescue. At first, the room wasn't encouraging at all:

DSC02798.JPG

DSC02905.JPG

But Girls from the Rescue were able to see a potential in this room and they worked really hard to change it into something that would become a temporary home for many rabbits. Did They succeed? Oh, You can see for Yourselves :)

Azyl%20po%20ok.jpg

azyl%20po44.jpg

We call this place "asylum for rabbits" because they can feel safe there. The shalter is only a temporary place for rabbits and they are put in temporary homes, whenever it's possible. Currently, there are 93 rabbits under care of the Rescue.

I will introduce some of the rabbits to You :)

Kasztanek (Chestnut)
Kasztanek (Chestnut) is a very young bunny (he was about 4 months old when he was rescued). Chestnut was found with broken rear paws abandoned in an apartment block. We do not know whether someone hurt him on purpose or it was just an accident. Our vet has been doing everything he can to help Chestnut walk and binky again. Unfortunately, it looks like only the right leg can be saved and the left one may need to be taken away. Keep your fingers crossed for Chestnut - he deserves a better life!

icy-ZjrlzSI7HYkrjzuEhxSWdVSsO67GKuk6coFZJWOb=w325-h216-p-no

wcpuCehEqSRww4QA-nkqylecFbtY9AuWxvWMsUH_xRfw=w311-h207-p-no

Pachino
Pachino and her sister Ethel were given up by a snake owner. They were to serve as a dinner for a snake, so someone broke their legs so as to prevent the from running away. Fortunately for the rabbits, they turned out to be too big for the snake and the owner wanted to get rid of them.
Apart from broken legs, Ethel was healthy and she was adopted soon. However, Pachino suffers from e.cuniculi and she had to be treated.

Pachino_0.JPG

DSC06800.JPG

and Ethel
601130_438803672860555_809880770_n.jpg

Karotka (Carrot)
Karotka was taken away from a commercial rabbit breeder during intervention. All of the rabbits (and 53 other rabbits) were in appaling condition. Their fur became one, big tangle and every move was very painful for them. They lived in overcrowded cages that had additional occupants -fungi and maggots. Many of them were ill. Now, Karotka is happy and she is waiting for new home.

o_7cgPRG.jpg

o_2BRHts.jpg

Franklin
He was taken away from his owner who got bored with her "toy" and wanted to get rid of the rabbit by killing him. His nails were enourmously long and his eye was running so we were sure he has dental problems. Unfortunately, we were right. It was very bad as the infection started spreading and there was puss even in his nose. However, everything turned out well and Franklin managed to fight off the infection.
When Franklin was saved, he was 5 years old. What is surprising is that his owner thought that Franklin is female.

DSC_0545-225x300.jpg

DSC04175_1.JPG

Majeranek (Marjoram)
One of the rabbits taken away during another intervention. All rabbits (7) suffered from myxomatosis and were in a really bad condition. They were treated with interferon, among others, and all of them survived which at the time seemed to be impossible.

At first, Majeranek looked like this:
DSC03355.JPG

And now:
0pts.jpg

Wow, wow and wow again! This is just amazing as is the work you do! These beautiful buns are so very lucky to have been rescued - and they look amazingly well considering what they've been through.:thumb:

What an amazing transformation of the room !!

The Rescue Rabbits that find their way to your Shelter are very lucky indeed

Well done :D

Thank You very much for all Your comments! :) Those are only some of the rabbits from the Rescue and I'll try to write something new regularly. Hope you'll enjoy the topic.

Wow, wow and wow again! This is just amazing as is the work you do! These beautiful buns are so very lucky to have been rescued - and they look amazingly well considering what they've been through.:thumb:

~This and yet and another wow!

What amazing work you do.

Do you have a Facebook page which we can share for you?

Update - just found it and I've liked already as myself but see that I'm already a page liker via my Rescue.

Wonderful. I love Chestnut as I have hares here and also the red eyed whites https://www.facebook.com/rabbits.torun

Last edited:
[video]http://www.torun.tv/movie/show/3164[/video]

It's in Polish, but you can see some of the rabbits and one of the volunteers :) There is also a shot showing only three cages - those are the rabbits with myxomatosis and they are held in quarantine.

Fantastic job! I loved the pics and stories, such a shame for them but at least they are well cared for now :thumb: Hoping for more pics and stories :D

That is a lovely rabbit room! I just love the first one, a belgain hare? Very beautiful.

What a great place for rabbits to feel safe in.

Looking forward to seeing the pics on your facebook page.

Wow what an amazing transformation :love: Such a lovely place for the bunnies to be safe and cared for.

I look forward to hearing more about them.

Some of those faces make me want to get on a plane to Poland to give them an extra cuddle, especially Pachino and her sister. I love white bunnies :love::love:

Thank you again.

Yes, Chestnut is probably a belgian hare.

Hugo's there you can always come to Poland and visit the bunnies :)

You are a amazing person, well done in helping all these bunnies. :thumb:

Poor Chestnut and Pachino. :cry:, at least we all know you will give them the best life possible.

Back