• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Rescue in Toruń, Poland

News from The Rabbit Rescue In Torun

August 27th - Carriers in the trunk what could that mean? That means that we are coming to the rescue.This time we are going to Sopot where "Sopockie Uszakowo" rescued 98 bunnies in the very bad conditions.
This year we din't conduct any interventions on our own.Despite the hard situation (almost empty account and just 10 carriers we could found - in the Rescue we have around 80 bunnies) We are trying to help different bunnies rescues as much as we can.Moth ago we took 34 bunnies from so-called "Huge Intervention".Still 35 smaller bunnies and 3 bigger bunnies are waiting to be in our Rescue but because they are in the good conditions they are now temporarily living in the Pogotowiu dla Zwierząt (Animal Hospital).
I will let you know more about the bunnies tomorrow but one think I know for sure.We will need your financial support and a lot of prayers.

Do you think that in these couple of days we received enough misfortune and sadness at our Rescue? I guess there is always room for more :( Yesterday this poor bunny was found in Torun. He looks like he was one step away from being death,and some strange marks on his neck (like he was kept on the wire).
No words left for me !!!!!

Update on the 29 rescued bunnies from Sopot. They all got examined by our Vet and let me tell you something the list of diseases is long:
-They all have syphilis.Some have just small changes but the rest is in the more serious conditions with (swellings and pus).
- They all have scabies
- Flea eggs and lice.
- Nematodes in stool
- Some of the bunnies are overweight which means the enlarged liver problems.
- Some have problems with respiratory sounds
- Couple of bunnies have a big teeth problem.One female (old jowl fracture)
- Some suffer from eye problems ( conjunctivitis) one female had symptoms from past disease of EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi )
- One eye iris prolapse,one necrosis and abscess of testicles,one penis tumor - these bunnies are first in line for the treatments.
They all got beautiful names (moon names):Amalkea, Anthe, Ariel, Belinda, Daphais, Deimos, Dia, Elara, Fobos, Galatea, Hati, Herse, Imir, Jokasta, Kalisto, Kone, Kordelia, Leda, Mimas, Nereida, Neso, Ofelia, Pandora, Perdytea, Tebe, Rea, Sao, Skoll, Umbriel.

Yesterday Pandora went thru the surgery of removing her eyeball or maybe cleaning the rest what was left from it.The three more surgery were performed on Deimos, Fobos and Nereida. All of them are not feeling well right now :( We still have a ton of work ahead of us and also a lot of worries but we are not planing to give up!!! We are also hoping that all of these bunnies will be fighting as much hard as we do.
Just these 4 surgery's cost us several thousand zlotych (few hundred dollars).

You know when we know that bunny starts feeling better? Not because test results are better or because he looks better.We know that when bunny is start showing his/her true character :) Urania the bunny known from having huge abscess on her belly and spine in turns is growling and fighting with us.
She hates her medical coat but love the food (and we are very happy about that) We are hoping that our beautiful rebel pretty soon will fully recover.So far everything is going in the right direction.

Unfortunately condition of many rescue bunnies is very serious :( Tomorrow I will share more information about them.

We are still really worrying about the bunnies rescued from Berlin :( The biggest problem is that they have no appetite and digestive system is not working correctly.Also they are very lethargic ... tired.On Monday there was no droppings in just couple cages but in last few days no droppings in all of them :( For example Fobos, Galatea,Perdytea, Kordelia, Umbriel, Nereida and Pandora they are not backing down.Fobos and Pandora are acting like they need just air to stay alive :(
We are really trying to make them feel loved and well take care of- but they also need to have will to fight.
Also we are still asking you to share our fundraiser link because we still need a lot of help to rich the goal which will help us to get those poor bunnies best medical help we can give them.

Unfortunately Switlik is also not doing well :( For weeks now we are fighting to safe his eye (despite the temporary improvement) the eye is looking much worst :( Is very swollen/ bulgy/ cornea don't wont to heal and puss is in oral cavity.The medication he was given like gentamycyna,corneregel, oftensin, tobrex also pain medication didn't work.The eye USG was also done and event removing some of his teeth will not make that situation any better.His weight is correct but we are feeding him with Rodi Care (emergency food).
If nothing will change is very possible that on Thursday we will be taking Swietlik for eye extraction procedure.
Duszek lately is having very often hiccups (sometimes they last for couple minutes) but he doesn't care about that.And lately he is in very good mood

September 7th Swietlik passed away :( He didn't wake up after the surgery :( This is one of those situations that is really hard to deal with.Not him ....... 😭 Reast In Peace Our Little Angel ....

We have some good news for you.Remember Mario and Luigi? Unfortunately Luigi passed away which was really hard on Mario (mentally and physically). Mario is also not the youngest or the healthiest bunny but he found his forever home :) We are hoping that in his new home he will regain the joy of life.Good luck little one.

I must admit that Fobos and Pandora are very hard patients to have.The rest of the bunnies rescued from Berlin are not at all any better.Giving him medication is almost impossible but in that case at the Rescue we are very firm.At least in Fobos case the good news is that he produced few small droppings. On the other hand Pandora still didn't produce any :( Quarantine situation is still the same (very little appetite and very small amount of droppings).But we are trying to do everything we can to change that.
Fobos and Pandora are very distrustful and quiet.Let's hope with time that will change.At the moment they are living with one of our Rabbit Rescue staffer.The funny thing is the favorite place for all the bunnies she was and is taking care of is the couch or more specific the back of the couch :) This time Fobos allowed himself to fully relax.

We are transporting 10 dwarf bunnies in very poor condition and also 2 bigger girls bunnies to our Rescue.They are from intervention rescued by Pogotowie dla Zwierząt (Animal Hospital).The big girls are just skin and bones :( Rest of the bunnies ( around 20) still waiting to be admitted to our Rescue but for now we are full and we can't take any more.We also need your financial help.

Yesterday when we came back to the Rescue with all 12 bunnies another "surprised" was waiting for us (unfortunately not the good one).The wild bunny with old open fracture found in the puddle :( Unfortunately he didn't survive the night :( We really wanna to help him at the same time knowing that even if he will not make it at least he will pass away feeling no pain (knowing that the chances are very small for him to survive).
Also wanna to say thank you to Agnes from Hospice for Abandoned Kittens for your help in that difficult moment.Binky free little one......

Hello, it's been quite some time since my last post (I hope some of you are following us on FB).

Azyl is still helping bunnies, we had numerous interventions and managed to save many lives. However, we will probably have to move and decided to buy a house. We would like to create a special home for rabbits (there would be also a special place where our guests could spend a night or two!). I'll just post the summary from our FB account so you can learn more about our crazy idea ;)

Have we lost our minds? Maybe a little, but not entirely. It's time for great changes.

We would like to create a Home for Rabbits.

Seven years ago, we moved in to a reconditioned (with our own hands and due to your donations) room by the animal shelter in Toruń. And we thought it would last forever. For the last 7 years the rabbits under our care have had a safe place, a special room for quarantine and a pen outside. However, the current situation with the shelter and a plan for a temporary bridge to be constructed almost at our gates made us consider moving to another place.

We need a stable situation and a permanent solution, we can't move from place to place with all the rabbits. That is why we decided to buy a house...for rabbits. Actually, we have already paid an advance for it which is 20 000 zlotys.

Why we decided to do it?

Renting a house in Toruń costs about 3000 zlotys a month + media. Business premises or flats were not an option. We need a pen for our rabbits. And anyway, who would agree to rent us a house for 100 rabbits?

In order for our rabbits to have better lives, we decided to buy a small house (a video with this property is linked in the comments - it's in Polish, but you can see all the details [​IMG]:)). When we first saw we pictures, we knew that's exactly it! This house is almost in the centre of Toruń, so it will be easy for our volunteers to commute there. And, what is also important, it is situated near our vet (only 2 kilometers!).

The house is in a good condition and it doesn't need any great reconditioning. We just need to change the floors (they need to be more rabbit friendly) and probably recondition the bathroom in the future. But we can move in in a week (link to photos also in the commets [​IMG]:)).

Who will be the owner of the property?
The Foundation (Fundacja Azyl dla Królików) of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

On Sunday, some of the rabbits got lucky and went to their forever homes <3 One of them was Epika.

45364229_1952968168125044_6326357527017553920_n.jpg

Epika (and another female, Liryka) came in to our care in November. There left in front of the entrance to the animals shelter in Toruń...in a hopsack. Their bottoms were covered in urine and they were in bad condition.

https://flic.kr/p/2bxLKYN

Also Sephora, and one of her daughters, Tous, were lucky :) She came to Azyl with her kits and they used to live in dramatic conditions.

30581614167_edc22864f8_z.jpg

Last edited:
Shiny passed away yesterday. We had been fighting for her for months. Despite different treatments and solutions, she constantly had diarrhea and Rodi Care just passed through her system in an unchanged form.
46551801592_4ec1fa1bd8_z.jpg

Belinda went through the checkup with flying colours. During one year she was fighting with liver and renal failure, had two large abscesses removed from her belly in the autumn.
46879111252_8e36326bdf_z.jpg

Out vet is also happy about Kopiuj (Copy) and Wklej (Paste). Maybe apart from the fact that they should stop acting like vacuum cleaners in the Azyl ;)

Copy

Paste

Lancelot, one our special care rabbits, was put on an antibiotic due to bronchial murmur that was noticed by our vet during the examination.

Ps. Do you want me to post here or is everyone on Facebook? Please, let me know :)

Shiny passed away yesterday. We had been fighting for her for months. Despite different treatments and solutions, she constantly had diarrhea and Rodi Care just passed through her system in an unchanged form.
46551801592_4ec1fa1bd8_z.jpg

Belinda went through the checkup with flying colours. During one year she was fighting with liver and renal failure, had two large abscesses removed from her belly in the autumn.
46879111252_8e36326bdf_z.jpg

Out vet is also happy about Kopiuj (Copy) and Wklej (Paste). Maybe apart from the fact that they should stop acting like vacuum cleaners in the Azyl ;)

Copy

Paste

Lancelot, one our special care rabbits, was put on an antibiotic due to bronchial murmur that was noticed by our vet during the examination.

Ps. Do you want me to post here or is everyone on Facebook? Please, let me know :)

I’m not on Facebook and I know a lot of people aren’t, so it would be good if you can post on here. You do such good work. Im sorry Shiny didn’t make it :cry: the others look like they are doing so well:love:

Thank you. I will post also here, then :)

Abisynia is undergoing a laparotomy today as the stump of her uterus is still enlarged and we can see that she feels some discomfort, even when lying down. Her apetite is also not great and she receives medicines that are to improve the peristalsis.

Dumbo left Azyl and went to his forever home :) His checkup went great. His broken paw has set and despite the problems with this knee cap, he's doing great.

Kevin has a lump that will have to be removed. It is not a typical abscess (our vet did puncture) and it changed after couple days of antibiotics and tarantula venom, but we want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Liryka passed her post procedure chceckup with flying colours. After the tear duct blockage had been removed, her eye looks better and she no longer needs local antibiotics.

Nówka is quite all right but 1 or 2 teeth will have to be removed and her tear duct needs flushing.

No changes in the case of Pikard. He eats dried herbs, his poops are relatively small, but in satisfying numbers ;) But nothing has change in his mouth and he still needs a procedure. This week is the last one of his therapy with ornipural, so we can schedule something for him for the next week.

Shira underwent a procedure on Thursday - a lump had to be removed. It wasn't an abscess yet, but among the tissues, there already signs of pus.

Our vet had no reservations during Telimena's checkup. Afther the procedure of removing the tear duct blockage, her right eye seems fine. Telimena's tear duct is undergoing calcification so the problem will probably be recurring, but there is no need to panic :)

We also had some new adoptions!

Elipsa i Różniczka (called by us Copy and Paste ;)) went to Warsaw, where their future husband, Shaman, had been waiting for them. (Don't worry, all of them are neutered)

And some news from forever homes.
Arnika and Włóczykij (both adopted from Azyl). As you can see, size doesn't matter :)

Sephora with her new friends

Page and her husband (yes, neutered of course ;))

I hope the operation will go well for Abisynia today, sending lots of vibes for her. It’s so good to see that the others are making good progress, and to see that some bunnies are going to new homes, or settled in them :love:

On Monday, Lawrence was to go for a standard checkup. He had his last health crisis in January but he seemed fine. But then, Ola was trying to take him out from the carrier and she found a lump near his throat and there was fever broke out (41 C degrees). He was examined but there was no doubt - it was an abscess. It wasn't on the jawbone but near his trachea. This was the result of his previous crisis during which bacteria entered the bloodstream. Gentamicin saved his life then. So it turns out that the bacteria present in his body, this time didn't enter the bloodstream but led to the formulation of the abscess. The procedure was very complicated. It surrounded the jugular vein and couldn't be removed with the membrane. The compromised tissues were removed, the wound cleaned and sewn in a way allowing us to disinfect the wound.

Abisynia didn't have to undergo the laparatomy procedure - the swelling subsided a little so we will wait and see.

One week after being neutered, Auriga is in good health.

IMG_7419

Bajka seems fine after the procedure but her right eye is runny and we need to do an x-ray to check the roots. Her third eyelid was also visible during the examination.

Tomorrow, Havana is going to her forever home so we had taken her for a checkup. She is in good health. We managed to resolve the problems with her intestines, her liver has regenerated and her weight is correct now.

Fortunately, this weekend passed peacefully in Azyl :) We have planned some procedures for this week and we hope for the best.

Dumbo in his forever home.

I have just read the entire thread. At points it had me in tears and at others I was smiling. I am so sorry for all the losses of your special little friends. I am so glad you are able to help so many and able to find for ever homes for some.
The work you do is amazing. You are all such Specill people with big caring hearts.
I wish you luck with the project of the house and moving all the rabbits.
Although I have Facebook I do not use it oftern so it would be nice to see you post here as well I’m sure others would apreciate it to.

I am glad the bunnies are doing well, you are very dedicated and it seems you have an excellent vet :thumb:

I have just read the entire thread. At points it had me in tears and at others I was smiling. I am so sorry for all the losses of your special little friends. I am so glad you are able to help so many and able to find for ever homes for some.
The work you do is amazing. You are all such Specill people with big caring hearts.
I wish you luck with the project of the house and moving all the rabbits.
Although I have Facebook I do not use it oftern so it would be nice to see you post here as well I’m sure others would apreciate it to.

Thank you! it's true, there are many sad stories, we lost many rabbit friends over the yeras, but fortunately, we are surrounded by great people and we love to see happy rabbits at their forever homes :)
The situation with Azyl is quite difficult, we will probably have to move in a month but we hope that the plan to buy a house was not too crazy and that somehow we will create a Home for Rabbits :)

I am glad the bunnies are doing well, you are very dedicated and it seems you have an excellent vet :thumb:
Yes, we are lucky when it comes to the vet, he is excellent and people often travel with their rabbits from other cities to have them treated :)

Kurierka was sent as a courier parcel. Fortunately, when she arrived to Bydgoszcz, Agata learned about the situation and rescued this poor bunny. We have already informed a proper organisation and necessary steps will be taken. She is healthy (apart from slight splay leg and not entirely proper body constraction. She will be neutered and ready for adoption in no time :)

And our new arrival, an overweight girl, her internal organs are surrounded by adopise tissue and the uterus is enlarged. Our vet put her on ornipural and when she looses some weight and is more stable, she needs to be neutered.

Out vet diagnosed City with false pregnancy. She needs to be neutered soon.

After being neutered, Cyryl had some problems - his manly organs were swollen. But now he is better and he doesn't need antibiotics anymore.

Before being adopted, Fobias went for a checkup and he is ready to travel to his new home. His teeth will have to be supervised but he is in good condition.

Lawrence's wound is healing properly and is it unbelivable that he is in such a good condition after the procedure.

Picard lost his apetite and had a fever. Respiratory sounds were normal, his stomach seemed fine, but we are worried that this is caused by pus circulating in his body. We were planning to take care of his teeth, but now, we have to wait for him to stabilise.

Back