• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Rescue in Toruń, Poland

Thank you again.

Yes, Chestnut is probably a belgian hare.

Hugo's there you can always come to Poland and visit the bunnies :)

What's your nearest airport? I have travel concessions on some airlines after doing 18 years for a British Airline and I might just do that!

Well, the news concerning Chestnut are not good. His leg leg will be amputated on Monday as necrosis is spreading.

Nagietek(Marigold) underwent minor dental surgery today. We hope he'll start eating soon.
s4ol.jpg

Marigold is a rabbit that was found in the street. He was overweight and his nails were overgrown. He probalby spent the most of his life in a small cage.

But there is also good news. It appears that Pufcia's eye will be probably saved!
cmgy.jpg

And here are some photos that came to the Rescue together with Carrot :)

DSC07635.JPG

DSC07669.JPG

DSC07708.JPG

DSC07750.JPG

And Carrot with her friend - they guard the shelter together

DSC00347.JPG

Hi there! My name is Marta and I am a member of the Rabbit Rescue in Toruń.

I've 3 rabbits: Tigga, Vox and Boniek :) All are rescued - I found Tigga on the street about two years ago.. she supposed to be a dinner. Vox was supposed to be dinner for a snake.. but he was too big, fortunatelly. And Boniek? Boniek saw a death of his brothers and sisters... and then he was committed for chocolate.

I'll be happy to share with you our joys and sorrows.

If I did that I would have to bring a very large suitcase with me ;)

Smaller sutcase will be also good enough. You can always come back for the rest of the bunnies :p

What's your nearest airport? I have travel concessions on some airlines after doing 18 years for a British Airline and I might just do that!

The nearest one is in Bydgoszcz, but I'm not sure if anything flies there :p Ypu can always come to Poznań and then go to Toruń by train

I just want to cry when I see the faces of these bunnies. You are doing a fantastic job.

Special nose rubs to Chestnut. I have hares here and for her to lose a leg will be very difficult. They want to be so active. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts to her and all of your other rabbits.

Omg. This is absolutely heart warming. Thank you for sharing this. Those rabbits are so, SO lucky. Well done to EVERYBODY involved. I can't believe the change in some of those rabbits. :love: They look so happy now.

I just want to cry when I see the faces of these bunnies. You are doing a fantastic job.

Special nose rubs to Chestnut. I have hares here and for her to lose a leg will be very difficult. They want to be so active. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts to her and all of your other rabbits.

Chestnut lived with me about 2 or 3 days before he went to Toruń. I can tell you he is really adorable. Despite the great pain, he is very cheerful.. I really love him :)

This is wonderful :love: I literally have tears in my eyes. Beautiful rabbits, I hope they all find their forever homes soon :)

An here are more rabbits that came to the Rescue with Carrot:

Roszponka (Corn-salad)

q0k0.jpg

v2s6.jpg

Oliwka (Olive)
n5gq.jpg

czw1.jpg

Duszek (Little Ghost)
o_8AFkuK.jpg

Tangerine
o_OBJ0p6.jpg

o_mCRD0k.jpg

Boćwinka (Leaf Beet)
DSC01162.JPG

Cykoria (Chicory)
DSC01172.JPG

DSC07113.jpg

Yeti
DSC06233.jpg

Yeti.jpg

Gąska (Gosling)
DSC06171.JPG

DSC06179.JPG

Of course that is not all of them :)

Today, under our care came Kashmir. She is very skinny - we can fell ony bones.. And she's quite scared. Kashmir has dirty pawns from urine (and even yellow, dirty nose). On monday she will visit vet.

DSC09728.JPG

DSC09712.JPG

Nagietek is in a very bad condition.. Today he started to has a problem with his kidneys and he has a problem with pee too. Fortunatelly, he is still joyful and like to play with toys. We gave him medications, injections, we feed him and look forward to improvement... :( Today we have to stimulate work of the intestines. At the moment I'm afraid that kidneys will stop working..... In addition, Nagietek doesn't want to cooperate with feeding :/

DSC09613.JPG

P.S. Sorry for my english - I'm not so good as Magda :) But I have a question. How do you call poops of rabbit? :D

well done for rescuing all these lovely bunnies

Thank you, we do our best.. but sometimes it's really hard :( In the moment we have about 70 rabbits in our sanctuary and that room (you can see it on first page) is only about 15 square metre. Normally we have a place for 30 rabbits and this situation with 70 rabbits is extremally hard. For example - cleaning all cages take about 5 hours :) We're doing this every day, no matter it's a Sunday, Christmast or Easter :) :) But we love helping bunnies! :love:

You are doing amazing work and it must be very hard. Those photos are heart breaking. I was so shocked to read that rabbits have their legs broken so they will not run away from snakes, thats really horrible.

Do you find it easy to rehome the rabbits? Yeti is gorgeous. I wish I could take him home! Has Corn-Salad had to have his hair shaved or does he have a strange coat?

We just call them rabbit poops! Your English is great anyway. We know what you mean ;) I dont speak any other language let alone write it, so I am in awe of people who do.

You are doing amazing work and it must be very hard. Those photos are heart breaking. I was so shocked to read that rabbits have their legs broken so they will not run away from snakes, thats really horrible.

Do you find it easy to rehome the rabbits? Yeti is gorgeous. I wish I could take him home! Has Corn-Salad had to have his hair shaved or does he have a strange coat?

We just call them rabbit poops! Your English is great anyway. We know what you mean ;) I dont speak any other language let alone write it, so I am in awe of people who do.

Thank you!

About broken legs I can tell you something - I tooke away Pachino and Ethel last year from a man who has about 15 snakes in a flat. I am really quick-tempered so I started to scream at him but I couldn't to find words when I saw two children (about 4 and 6 years old) with a snakes on the neck and laughting that rabbits are useless... I took this rabbits to my car and started to cry.. I hate people like that..

Rehome rabbits isn't easy in Poland. Most people are saying that it's easier to buy rabbit in shop :/ We make an action called "Adopt, Don't shop" every year and nowdays it's little bit easier. Tomorrow I can tell you how many rabbits find their forever home in our foundation :) Of course rabbits like Yeti have better chance :) Corn-Salad had her hair shaved because it was in a very bad condiotion - I can find a picture :)

edit:
Now Corn-salad look like that:
jr5i.jpg

Last edited:
Corn Salad is so beautiful :love: I love Gosling too.

You are doing a fantastic job, I look forward to hearing lots more from your rescue :)

Corn-Salad is beautiful. He looks so peaceful relaxing on his mat.

I have a lionhead rabbit (the one in my photo) who looks a bit similar.

It must be awful for you to see such cruelty. And what a horrible way to bring up children - I do understand that snakes have to eat too, but I dont understand why anyone would be so cruel to another animal and encourage children to be cruel as well.

I think its hard in this country to rehome rabbits as well. There are far too many and all the free advert websites are full of them. The lucky ones are the rabbits who make it into the rescues.

So.. Now about people :) About us :)

Magda Gralak-Kuczyńska - she is a main founder of our Foundation. She is the best in logistic and management.
969481_503737189700536_1392171634_n.jpg

Ola Głowacka - the second founder. Great source of knowledge about diseases of rabbits, often more then vet. She is a lawyer. Ola does not know what tiredness is, she spent a lot of hours in the doctor's Krawczyk office - more than two jobs. Only sometimes allows herself to relax like that.
1185290_503737236367198_2094220339_n.jpg

Fundation is their child, who they care about the best they can.
----
The Foundation Council:
Marta Pawłowska (yes, that's me :D ) - Great spirit in a small body. She lives in Poznan and doing what potentially impossible. Initiator of the last intervention in Mosina. She loves big animals, and they love her.
1014078_615938118430619_1466437584_n.jpg

Ola Łaskawiec - supporting Bydgoszcz, our internal mediator.
1174839_503737586367163_557037020_n.jpg

Janka - author of the blog www.torunskie-kroliki.blog.pl, takes care of our website.
Janka1.jpg

Catherine Stosio-Witczak - who wrote those words, takes care of page on FB, watching over the image of the Foundation.
KasiaS_1.jpg

Marta Szpak - our incorrect optimist, irreplaceable help. In her company everything becomes easier, happier and more enjoyable.
MartaSz11.jpg

----
Intermediaries adoptive (I'm not sure if I write it right.. :) ): Magdalena Bogdanska, Karolina Haniewicz, Dobrusia Kłosińska - thanks to them our rabbits go to the best homes. In adoptions also mediate Ola, Magda and Marta.

Volunteers - clean up, feeding, driving around the rabbits to the veterinary office. Alarmed us about the worrying things. Without them we couln't work efficiently.

Magda and Jachu - our graphics :) Magda starts this topic on forum. She is the best in english and I hope she will improve my mistakes :p
971433_503737653033823_1252847464_n.jpg

Jakub - he's my husband and loves bunnies as much as I do :) Big bunnies of course :p He has a lot of good ideas for helping us and.. the most important.. he
tolerates my insanity about bunnies :D
970704_503737669700488_174807146_n.jpg

Beata and Raphael - the shop owners www.uszatkowo.pl - thanks to them we have feeds and accessories always on time and very good prices.

Dr Mirosław Krawczyk and vet Konrad Kowalczyk - simply the best.
bilde

Foundation is the result of hard work of many people. Received hundreds of phone calls and sent hundreds e-mails. Daily rounds to the veterinary office with a few rabbits. Hundreds pounds of pellets, lots of herbs and granules. Inexhaustible amount of photos that we publish.
For us Foundation is not a source of earnings. We work full time, we learn, we have our families. Foundation deal with after hours and on weekends. Some of us it takes every free moment.

Is it worth it? Absolutely!​

Last edited:

Most of the rabbits from this intervention had to be shaved. Their fur was entangled that they couldn't move and the "owner" claimed that this happened over the course of one week when she was sick... They also had health problems, but currently most of the rabbits are healthy and ready for adoption :)

As Marta mentioned, rehoming rabbits is not very easy in Poland as for most of the people want small and cute rabbirs, so they often buy 4 or 5 weeks old rabbits in pet shops. Not everyone knows that it is possible to adopt a rabbits, so we try to inform people about this possibility. The interviev that I posted perviously was successful and new potential homes for our rabbits appeared. So keep your fingers crossed :)

Back