• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit very cold

Lisacarv

Young Bun
Hi everyone , i have a rex cross dwarf rabbit . I got him in the summer . Its now winter here and temperature has dropped few degrees over last couple days . Today he seems little quieter then normal looked bit hunched in corner of hitch but when i get him out seems lively enough . Brought him in and he's eating , poohing ,urinating acting normal . His ears are freezing to touch when outside is there a possibility he is not liking the cold .He a hutch with bed area and there is usual hay / straw . I have brought him in for moment .

Best not to bring him in and out while it's cold as he will feel the cold Even more when he goes back out.
Rabbits are generally very well insulated for cold as long as they have plenty of hay and straw to snuggle in. Draughts are a bigger problem than cold. I believe their ears are meant to stay cold as that's how they regulate their body temperature.

If you want to keep him warmer you can get a thing Valle. A "snugglesafe" which is a microwaveable heat pad that he can sleep on. We have some for our buns and they love them.

Some ideas: Stuff his hutch full of hay to keep him warm. Insulate his hutch - I use 2 layers of bubblewrap on the sides and back. Cover the front of his hutch with carpet at night and then roll it back during the day.

Changes in temperatures aren't good - so it perhaps isn't a good idea to bring him into a warm house and then put him back outside in his hutch.

You could have him as an indoor rabbit during the winter. You would need a large dog crate with a run attached - there are some good ideas on here of what people make with panels.

Have you considered getting him a friend to snuggle up with?

Rabbits usually cope well with the cold. Maybe he is feeling a little bit lonely with the long winter nights approaching. If you can't get him a friend (he would need to be neutered first) then he should be ok if his hutch is in a sheltered place and has a cover over the front to stop the wind and the rain blowing straight in, then he can feel cosy sitting on his hay.

Some ideas: Stuff his hutch full of hay to keep him warm. Insulate his hutch - I use 2 layers of bubblewrap on the sides and back. Cover the front of his hutch with carpet at night and then roll it back during the day.

Changes in temperatures aren't good - so it perhaps isn't a good idea to bring him into a warm house and then put him back outside in his hutch.

You could have him as an indoor rabbit during the winter. You would need a large dog crate with a run attached - there are some good ideas on here of what people make with panels.

Have you considered getting him a friend to snuggle up with?
He doesnt get on with other rabbits he is neutered my girls spayed but they just dont get on .

Im just worried with him being partly rex he doesnt hold body temperture to well . He is quite boney and always has been .

Have you tried all the bonding techniques - eg in a neutral place etc?

Yep tried it all ,where i work i mix a lot of rabbits . They get on for little bit then one will just fly for other and the both roll round fighting pulling hair out till i stop them it happens every time . Seems to be female starts it most time but he also started arguments from time to time . Its really sad they cant live together but I've tried numerous of times:( .

I have him indoors at moment shall i put him back out . He only been in couple hrs but is colder outside now . I shall i put him put first thong in morning . He hasnt got heating or anything where he is now and the room is generally coldish to walk into to .When he was hunched up in hutch he was choosing just to sit in corner with no bedding that what was worried about . It not a problem to keep him in for winter but only thing is my boyfriend is allergic so i just have to do my best to make sure doesn't effect him. His coat os not very thick is short and dense .

I have him indoors at moment shall i put him back out . He only been in couple hrs but is colder outside now . I shall i put him put first thong in morning . He hasnt got heating or anything where he is now and the room is generally coldish to walk into to .When he was hunched up in hutch he was choosing just to sit in corner with no bedding that what was worried about . It not a problem to keep him in for winter but only thing is my boyfriend is allergic so i just have to do my best to make sure doesn't effect him. His coat os not very thick is short and dense .

Awww keep him in and buy your bf some antihistamines :D

I hope my suggestions about insulation, hay etc, were helpful.

I hope my suggestions about insulation, hay etc, were helpful.

Ive given him a more closed in house well lid of a litter tray stuffed it with hay straw . Just went see him he just sitting in open tray looking cold it might just be me worrying as he has a bed but choosing not to go in there . I going bq gonna see if they have bubblewrap insulation i see good to cover sides and back and roof . Ill do that before gets really cold as i think we are in for really cold winter . Ill just keep checking on him maybe he is having an off day . :(

He's not in pain/unwell is he? My rex Freckle presented in the same way when he was poorly with an infection and stasis; hunched, cold and not sitting in the warm :( I know you said he was fine when you brought him in but Freckle seemed ok when I got him out to check him, but he ended up staying at vets. Best to be safe than sorry so thought i'd mention it

Hi everyone thanks for all your advice . I went to vets shortly after as was worried with him not being over interested in eating . Turns out he had a hairball . He has never liked his hay so i picking grass for him and he getting plenty moist veg . He straight away was on mend after 2 visits to vets for injections . He was not to ill at start i so glad i caught it at beginning as he recovered amazingly . Did seem like it was GI . He is now loving it indoors as the temps have really dropped here with recorded snow next week . X

Back