• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny I need help!! Please

My partner and I purchased a Dutch rabbit who is only 8 weeks old. He is an indoor rabbit as we do not have facilities to go outside. We purchased our rabbit from pet at home and the woman answered all of my questions as we did not want to get him before we knew that he would be happy, we also did a lot of research.
It appears that what the woman has said was all incorrect information and Im a little bit stressed that my rabbit might not be happy.
I let him out from 6am - 7am I then feed him and he hops back in his cage until I'm home from work at 5.30pm I feed him, he then gets let out until 10.00pm at which point he then goes to his bed. He seems to be biting quite a lot and it can be very painful. I have read that obviously because he is young this can happen but I have also read contradicting statements that this could be due to boredom or being unhappy. My soul concern is for this rabbit and I want to make sure that he is the happiest he can be and If not then I will have to look out for his best interest.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I love this bunny to bits.

Hi,

It sounds like he doesn't really have enough space. Shop bought cages are nearly always too small and even with exercise time in a larger space they aren't really suitable.

There is a sticky in the housing forum -> http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing. This has lots of details regarding indoor housing.

Also when he's old enough being neutered will help. In the meantime I would avoid picking him up, that usually triggers a fear response and biting could be as a result of that.

Sorry mine are all outdoor bunnies. Indoor bunny owners will no doubt be along soon!
Can't really help with the biting either as none of mine have ever bitten me. It sounds like he may be stressed, scared or even poorly.

Could he be bored? What size enclosure do you have him in and does he have any toys etc?

Welcome to the forum.

Couple of question.

How big is his cage?
Does he nip when getting food? or if you stick your hand in the cage to stroke him?
Do you have a picture of his set up?
This will give us more info.

Firstly, it's great that you're asking for advice :D

The little bunny might be bored, bunnies need as much space as possible so being cooped up from 7-5.30 is probably quite boring for him. Also, when he's old enough, I'd look into getting him neutered and then getting him a spayed female bunny as a friend. Mine have always been so much happier when they have company, and rabbits are very social animals :)

What size is his cage? When you say feed him twice a day, what are you feeding him? Does he have access to hay at all times?

The usual cages sold as suitable for rabbits are far too small.
You need the largest dog crate you can get and then add a run to it, using panels. There are lots of examples on here of people's indoor set-ups.
I think you will find that your rabbit will be much happier with this extra space.

I also suggest you get him a (female) companion - most rabbits thrive better and are much happier with a friend (and there's nothing quite like seing a pair of bonded rabbits snuggling up together). If you approach a Rescue, they may well have a suitable companion and offer to bond them for you.

I noticed you said your rabbit was from pets at home. My rabbit was also from pets at home, she's lovely but really does not like to be fussed or picked up at all. I am 99% sure that this is because they're not used to human contact as P@H bunnies come from 'suppliers' who are breeding large quantities of rabbits. My other rabbit who came from a farm had been handled and fussed over since he was around 3/4 weeks old and is much friendlier and more chilled out. Please don't let this worry you, but gentle, quiet, TLC should hopefully cheer him up a little.
Also, has he got plenty of toys and things to keep himself amused? Loo roll tubes filled with hay and treats work well.
A large, rabbit proofed floor space with places for him to hide is best for trying to bond with him as just plonking him on your lap with confuse the poor little thing. You might have to play by his rules for a little while :p

raising house bunnies!

I have two rabbits, i raise them in the home for bonding processes the they move out into the garden in the summer to hep them adapt to the winter weathers, i have a 1 year old female who nipped a lot when she was in the home, but i found she didnt like it when i was ignoring her and watching television or playing on my phone. Rabbits are very sociable creatures and love their cuddles, i found she seemed ot be happier when ilied on the flor and she could explore me aswell as the home, as its all new smells and environments for them. The nipping also became less when i got her neutered.Heidi hasnt nipped now for months, and she was neutered in June/julyish.

I have just bought an 8 week old male lion head myself, and he's in the nipping process, i am currently trying positive re-enforcement(which i have had no feedback of as of yet, but am finding it hard due to raising two bunnies together witch i have also never done), which when he bites me i will make a squeeking noise, which is enough to make him stop but not enough to scare him and make him run away as you want them to be your friend. And as soon as hes a little bit older he will be getting neutered and vaccinated.

If your scared your little bunny isnt happy a few toys in the cage and around the house will be a good plce to start, i find both my rabbits love bells (the hay nets with a bell on the bottom, plastic balls with bells in) i tried the cats toy ones but the sawdust just gets jammed in there, i now use the bigger balls that they can throw around.

Hope this helps :D

Could you possibly complain to the shop? I think that if somebody is giving out the wrong advice about rabbits there will be a lot of very sad bunnies out there. :cry: Well done for seeking out different advice. I have yet to find a pet shop that gives the correct advice, so please avoid them in future when thinking of getting animals. :thumb:

Is there any way you could let the bun free range? There are lots of tips and advice on here about bunny proofing your house/room so that the rabbit can have all the space they need. There are no indoor cages bought from pet shops that are suitable for rabbits to be kept in, in fact most are just about the right size to be used a litter tray. :shock:

Have you had your bun to the vets yet? There is a chance that he has not been sexed properly either. :roll: I would get him to a vet as soon as he has settled in to get a full health check and make sure he is actually a he! You can also discuss neutering and vaccinations. :)

Back