• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bereaved bunny - happier alone?

ahayes75

New Kit
Hi all, just joined the forum for a little advice, hopefully some of you might be able to advise based on your own experience.

We sadly and unexpectedly lost one of our paired bunnies on Sunday night. Obviously devastated but we researched and followed out instructions to the letter and left him in with his 'widow' overnight so she could come to terms with it, and removed him when she'd left his body.

All my instincts tell me that we need to get a new partner for her, and most of the things I've read tend to agree.

The really puzzling thing is, since he died, she's responded weirdly well. She's eating, drinking, sleeping as usual and binkying around the place...if anything she seems happier on her own. This might be because we are making an extra-special effort to give her lots of cuddles and freedom.

We are out of the house for long periods on weekdays and I hate to think of her bored and lonely at home. But we want her to be as happy as possible and we just cannot work out whether 'going solo' is what she really wants. We don't want to introduce her to a new partner and make her less happy. If only they could talk!

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Hi all, just joined the forum for a little advice, hopefully some of you might be able to advise based on your own experience.

We sadly and unexpectedly lost one of our paired bunnies on Sunday night. Obviously devastated but we researched and followed out instructions to the letter and left him in with his 'widow' overnight so she could come to terms with it, and removed him when she'd left his body.

All my instincts tell me that we need to get a new partner for her, and most of the things I've read tend to agree.

The really puzzling thing is, since he died, she's responded weirdly well. She's eating, drinking, sleeping as usual and binkying around the place...if anything she seems happier on her own. This might be because we are making an extra-special effort to give her lots of cuddles and freedom.

We are out of the house for long periods on weekdays and I hate to think of her bored and lonely at home. But we want her to be as happy as possible and we just cannot work out whether 'going solo' is what she really wants. We don't want to introduce her to a new partner and make her less happy. If only they could talk!

Has anyone had similar experiences?

I have a couple of experiences that you might want to relate to....

We lost part of a bonded pair a few years ago, leaving Sweep on his own. Whilst he was still eating, drinking etc and appeared normal we were out long hours too, and he is an outside bunny, so it was vitally important we found him a friend. It took a few months as he didn't like the two ladies he was tried with at one rescue :oops:, but by April (his partner died just before Xmas), he had a friend. It made a lot of difference to his mood, and made us sleep bettter in the fact he wasn't on his own the majority of the time.

Secondly, the behaviour you have seen with regards her binkying and appearing happier, I suspect this might actually be behaviour you see when you are around. Basically, my foster bunny was very much like that, whenever I saw her she was happy, binkying, running around excited etc, but I knew that at all other times she just sat :( (as I could see her outside the bedroom window in the run). I started to come to the conclusion that she was actually desperate for company, and so when I went out and represented some sort of company, she was very happy and excited, but the minute I went away she would just sit looking quite depressed. She was definitely ready for bunny company, as she has now been adopted (by a member on here :love:) and bonded to their bunny, and reports say the bond was simple and she is very happy now :thumb:

So, it might be that the times you see her happy, it's becuase you are there with her providing some sort of company (I say some sort, as it's never going to be the same as bunny company). Basically, I would advise getting your bun another friend :thumb:

I have a couple of experiences that you might want to relate to....

We lost part of a bonded pair a few years ago, leaving Sweep on his own. Whilst he was still eating, drinking etc and appeared normal we were out long hours too, and he is an outside bunny, so it was vitally important we found him a friend. It took a few months as he didn't like the two ladies he was tried with at one rescue :oops:, but by April (his partner died just before Xmas), he had a friend. It made a lot of difference to his mood, and made us sleep bettter in the fact he wasn't on his own the majority of the time.

Secondly, the behaviour you have seen with regards her binkying and appearing happier, I suspect this might actually be behaviour you see when you are around. Basically, my foster bunny was very much like that, whenever I saw her she was happy, binkying, running around excited etc, but I knew that at all other times she just sat :( (as I could see her outside the bedroom window in the run). I started to come to the conclusion that she was actually desperate for company, and so when I went out and represented some sort of company, she was very happy and excited, but the minute I went away she would just sit looking quite depressed. She was definitely ready for bunny company, as she has now been adopted (by a member on here :love:) and bonded to their bunny, and reports say the bond was simple and she is very happy now :thumb:

So, it might be that the times you see her happy, it's becuase you are there with her providing some sort of company (I say some sort, as it's never going to be the same as bunny company). Basically, I would advise getting your bun another friend :thumb:

Thanks for your advice, Catherine, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience!

Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss.

In my experience, I'm always very much led by the rabbit itself. When one of a brother/sister pairing died aged 8.5, it was obviously a massive loss to the remaining rabbit. She seemed fine - was eating, drinking, moving around as normal but I could just sense that she wasn't quite 'right'. After 3 weeks, I found her a new partner and she was back to her old self. So perhaps don't rush into anything. Give it a few weeks and see how your bunny is. I honestly think there are very few rabbits who actually prefer being by themselves, but they do exist. You're obviously a very caring owner so I have no doubt you know your bunny well and will do what you think is in its best interests. If you do get a new friend, don't forget to post pictures here :thumb:.

Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss.

In my experience, I'm always very much led by the rabbit itself. When one of a brother/sister pairing died aged 8.5, it was obviously a massive loss to the remaining rabbit. She seemed fine - was eating, drinking, moving around as normal but I could just sense that she wasn't quite 'right'. After 3 weeks, I found her a new partner and she was back to her old self. So perhaps don't rush into anything. Give it a few weeks and see how your bunny is. I honestly think there are very few rabbits who actually prefer being by themselves, but they do exist. You're obviously a very caring owner so I have no doubt you know your bunny well and will do what you think is in its best interests. If you do get a new friend, don't forget to post pictures here :thumb:.

Thanks for your kind words and advice, Mackers. I think, because this was our first experience of bunny bereavement, we were expecting a certain response and it's taken us aback that she's actually just getting on with things! Otherwise there'd be no question.

I think we're going to TRY with a lovely rescue bunny we've found called Ernie and see how they get on. No harm done if it doesn't work out, and we'll hopefully get a clearer idea of whether she wants to be an 'only child' or not!

awuskj.png

Thought I'd follow up on this. We took the plunge and re-homed Ernie not long after I started this thread. We've been slowly introducing them for the last 2 weeks or so.

She has, on the whole, been pretty accepting. She mounts him to show her dominance, but also grooms him plenty. The only concern at the moment is that she seems quite 'grunty' with him because he very rarely grooms back! It never escalates beyond grunting, so we're hoping maybe she's just expressing her wishes and maybe he'll get the picture soon.

They're taking longer to settle down together than she did with Flopsy but on the whole I think we're making good progress.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

I've only just seen this but glad she has a new friend. They are lovely by the way :love:

I'm sure things will settle down if it has only been a couple of weeks.

Back