• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

Millydance

New Kit
My bun was, apparently, used to using a litter a tray, according to her previous carer, but once they got the dog, and Patch was confined to barracks for a year or more, she got out of the habit. I now need to get her back in to using a litter tray. She's a very smart bunny and I don't think it will take long to get her there, however, I am not sure what to provide her with. Can I use an ordinary litter tray, such as one would use for cats? I know I need to provide absorbent stuff, like wood shavings, but I could do with some advice on what kind of tray to buy. All advice welcome :D

Thanks

Milly :wave:

Yes, you can use a normal cat litter tray, make sure it's big enough for the bun to sit in. You can use wood-based cat litter as a base with plenty of hay on top as they like to eat and poop. :thumb:

Mine love their big litter tray, they always use it so much more than the normal sized one. I have big litter trays as one of my buns is part giant, but little April likes using a big tray too. They are bigger than normal cat litter trays, but still marketed for cats. Maybe they're for fat cats. :lol:

I fill mine with newspaper and straw. They usually grasp it very quickly if you put in some of their dirty bedding with pee and poop on, as then the tray smells like their toilet.

One thing to bear in mind, bunnies don't like change, so you won't be able to move around the litter tray as once they have gotten used to where it is, they will probably always see that area as their toilet. I learned that the hard way..

I use 32L storage boxes (high sides so wee doesn't go over the edge, rabbits lift their tails/bum when peeing!), line it with newspaper and fill it with hay :) Filling it with hay will encourage toileting there as he will pee and poop while he eats. You can also have hay racks above the litter tray to keep the hay in one place.

null_zpsf5995a2b.jpg

For my indoor rabbits I use a puppy pad and then fill with hay-

DSC_0439_zpsfc90ffb3.jpg

Back