• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange rabbit!

Hal

New Kit
Hi
just after some ideas as to why my rabbit seems not to like anything in her poo-in area of her hutch, no hay or sawdust and uses the bear floor??! have had other rabbits and none have behaved like this :?
any ideas would be appreciated

Hi & welcome to RU.:wave:
I'm just guessing but wonder if she's making a territorial poop mound = scenting her territory?
My 2 housebuns wouldn't use a standard litter tray but are perfect with a shallow plastic trough. They hop up on a rolled towel in front & do everything backwards!This is exactly what wildies do but ot's usually a communal boundary marker.
Thumper in particular was very poop mound concious outside. He'd attack the dustpanwhen I tried to clean it up.:lol:

hi
yeah that's exactly what she does too, attacks anything in her cage!
Maybe as she lives alone why would she be so territorial?
strange bun haha :roll:

I've had a couple of does like this and it is a real pain. spaying will possibly help. Laurel was awful until well after she was spayed, now she is litter trained completely. I think it's a territory thing, or maybe she is trying to attract a male? I am not sure.

When I was trying to litter train my buns, I used to soak up the urine with newspaper after they had peed and place that inside the litter tray, along with any poops too, and then pop some hay on top, and place the litter tray in the corner they were using. In this way their smell is already in the litter tray.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for your replies :)
no shes not been spayed and has never been mixed with any other rabbits since ive had her. just dont get why she has to use the bear wood of her cage, rascal rabbit haha!!

I would get her speyed. :thumb: It will probably help. Can you put a litter tray in where she pees? Might help. :)

don't think theres enough room for a tray really but no doubt she would 'argue' with that aswell. not a very relaxed rabbit :evil: haha

Honestly, having her spayed would likely help that, and also her friendliness, she'll likely become much calmer and stop arguing with things! :lol: It's also far better for her health to be done and then you could perhaps consider getting her a companion?

My friends rabbit does the exact same, and I'm certain its because his hutch is tiny, only 4ft. Hos owners think its fine because its 2 levels but he's obviously bored.

Maybe she is bored too in her cage, but shes a house rabbit and gets let out most nights, she actually does the same downstairs on her piece of rag in the corner (always tries to pee straight on the carpet) :evil:
still love her to bits (just about)!! haha

Hi,
The way to sort this is by getting her speyed. :wave:
It means her hormones will calm down and she will not feel the need to be territorial, mark her scent, lunge at you at random times, or attack things. It is also good for her health as it protects her against uterine cancer, which 80% of unspeyed females catch.
Also you can never fully litter train a unneutered rabbit.
Trust me- your rabbit will be much happier and healthier when she's speyed, and your problem, after a few weeks, will be gone!

I would also like to point out that even though she is let out, that cage is far too small for her. In the wild rabbits will run miles a day, so the RWAF (leading in rabbit welfare) recommend a minimum of a 6ft x 2ft base/sheltered area (Dog crate is a good idea), and a run/puppy pen of 8ft x 4ft. This is the minimum size for lock up time, permanently when you're out, and when you're in she can free range 24/7. If you address this issue she will be able to act normally and won't feel cooped up.

You can have a look at the housing sticky for ideas :) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing
Please ask if you've got anymore questions x

Last edited:
Hi,
The way to sort this is by getting her speyed. :wave:
It means her hormones will calm down and she will not feel the need to be territorial, mark her scent, lunge at you at random times, or attack things. It is also good for her health as it protects her against uterine cancer, which 80% of unspeyed females catch.
Also you can never fully litter train a unneutered rabbit.
Trust me- your rabbit will be much happier and healthier when she's speyed, and your problem, after a few weeks, will be gone!

I would also like to point out that even though she is let out, that cage is far too small for her. In the wild rabbits will run miles a day, so the RWAF (leading in rabbit welfare) recommend a minimum of a 6ft x 2ft base/sheltered area (Dog crate is a good idea), and a run/puppy pen of 8ft x 4ft. This is the minimum size for lock up time, permanently when you're out, and when you're in she can free range 24/7. If you address this issue she will be able to act normally and won't feel cooped up.

You can have a look at the housing sticky for ideas :) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing
Please ask if you've got anymore questions x

This.

I'm afraid 4ft is far too small to keep a rabbit in for more than a few minutes. :(

Back