• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded since March but not loved up

Alice's mum

Warren Scout
Hi there, just wondered about my current pair. I've had pairs which have taken time to bond and some which are love at first sight but with these two I do see grooming occasionally but mostly they sit apart and my male appears to be bullying the girl. Whenever there is food or they are allowed free running on the grass he chases her around, head butts her and pulls fur from her. I spread food out so they don't have to eat together but he still does it.

I feel really sorry for her as she seems to want company. She can't even come over to myself or my partner for a treat without george racing across the garden to chase her away from us (in case we have food!). I'm also worried about the cold weather as he seems to sit in the hutch and she sits outside (the hutch is open 24/7 in a half covered secure aviary of about 7 x 12 ft).

Anyway, I've decided to try a trio in the hope that a new rabbit will change the dynamics of the pair and things will be better. I've bonded a trio before (George has had two girlfriends previously but they were elderly and died within 4 months of each other).

Just wondered if there are any other suggestions regarding this that I've not thought of?

Thank you.

Cant think of anything. All mine chase at food time but no fur pulling.

I hope the trio works out well.

Just thought, mabe an extra shelter in the run just in case he isnt allowing her into the hutch.

Maybe try to 'bond' them again? Go right back to the beginning, neutral small space etc for a few days and see if things improve. It can't hurt.
Unless if course you've got your heart set on another bun... :D

Thanks everyone,
Karen's - interestingly I had to go away last week and took my pair to a local place for boarding. They stayed in one of the 'pet hotels' indoor cages for 5 days and I thought that this may help as it involved a 10 minute car journey together then 5 days in a small neutral territory but the pet hotel owners reported to me that George was chasing Hazel over food there as well and nothing has changed since we've returned.

Anyway, watch this space! Thanks again.

Oh dear, yes that trip away was just like bonding so it should have worked, but obviously not.
Has the bullying and chasing just been a recent change? It's just that I've read on here about bonds seeming to break down when one bunny is poorly, the poorly bun gets picked on by the other bun. Maybe worth taking your girl to the vets for a little check over.
Another thought.... I wonder if a new bun has moved into the vicinity? Bit of a long shot but if they have and your buns can smell it that may be causing referred aggression between your two. I imagine this would settle fairly quickly though if this was the case. This could also have been why there was chasing and nipping at the pet hotel.
Sorry I'm giving you more questions that answers! Sorry:oops:

Back