• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thumping and kicking cage at night

Gemmit17

New Kit
Our rabbit has always kicked her cage throughout the night, always starts when it gets dark and can last up to 6am in morning and occasionally after this. Problem is it can go on for ours and gets louder and louder wakening us up along with a lot of our neighbours.
Been out to check to see if anything is bothering her but not seen anything. She comes in the house to have a run around in occasions and out in the garden. Doesn't get out as much as she's getting older and she puts up a great fight hiding in her cage and scratching and growling. Once inside she is very friendly, getting cuddles, jumping onto couch etc.
if anyone has any ideas and advice they would be appreciated. Thanks you

One idea is could you not keep her indoors or have you got a shed she can go into. I have a rabbit who, as soon as it goes dark starts to thump if she is outside, so she is always housed inside one of my sheds. She is actually indoors now for this winter. She also gets very scared when I get the vacuum cleaner out so I have to brush the room she is in! Not carpet! She must feel very nervous at night; even when they are in a small shed they feel so much safer.

She is due to move into the garage this weekend due to no bonfire night/winter so hopefully that will help. Thanks for your reply

What setup does she have at the moment? There might be changes you could make that would make her more comfortable. Also, if she is a lone bunny then you might consider getting her a friend. Bunnies are alway better in pairs and especially so during anything they find stressful.

Just now she is on our patio out the back, very close to our living room and kitchen window so when we hear the noises we can look out and check she is ok. She seems to sit in a corner and thump the walls very hard and constantly.
She is in a large cage just now that has 2 floors to it, the top floor is half open half closed off. She has various toys such as balls and chew toys.
Would she take okay to another rabbit? I worry she would maybe hurt it. Thanks

I wouldn't recommend getting her a friend until she is spayed then, spaying is not only beneficial to her but to you also. No more hormones to rule her so no aggressive hutch behaviour and the risk of uterine cancer (80%+ of rabbits age 5+ will have this, someone on here actually found their 3 year old bun with it during her spay) is eradicated.

Does she have a run that could be attached? Rabbits need a lot of space, the minimum recommended size is a 6x2x2 hutch and attached 6x4 or 6x8 run, this allows rabbits to periscope, binky, dart around etc :) if she's being moved into the garage could she have a puppy pen (£30 off eBay) or a run attached to the hutch so she can exercise when she wants to?

How old is she? Even older rabbits need plenty of exercise :)

If she is spayed then waiting around 6 weeks before bonding her (with a castrated male) gives you the best chance of it working as all hormones will have died down by then. Rescues will usually bond them for you (rescue rabbits are already neutered and vaccinated, you just pay a donation which is always loads cheaper than buying a rabbit and doing it all yourself, you're also helping a rabbit in need), so you don't need to get stressed out by bonding! :)

Last edited:
These are quite typical behaviours for a lonely unspayed (hormonal) bun. She is probably frightened alone at night and also very frustrated both sexually and also in terms of run space etc.

Solution is to contact a GOOD rabbit vet to habe her spayed, also give her a large secure area to run in (secured agaist foxes), and after a month or so when her hormones have died down, approach a rescue for a lovely (adult neutered) male to be friends with her.

You will have transformed her life! (and also saved her from an early death from cancer).

Rabbits can live for 10 years or more so

The rescue may also be able to help with sorting runs etc as they have minimum housing requirement for the health and welfare of the rabbits

Last night I put some tarpaulin over the front of her cage to make her feel more secure. She didn't thump once atall during the night until 5.30am and she certainly made up for It. Moving her into garage today but had her there before and the thumping and kicking has still happened. Don't really know what else to try.

You could buy her a pen for inside the garage and then she would be on the ground so any thumps wouldn't be heard. She may feel less afraid if she had some company.

We do have quite a big run for her it just doesn't attatch to the cage in any way. Do u mean just keeping her in a pen instead of her hutch and putting all the things in it that's in her hutch such as food bowl, toys etc?

We do have quite a big run for her it just doesn't attatch to the cage in any way. Do u mean just keeping her in a pen instead of her hutch and putting all the things in it that's in her hutch such as food bowl, toys etc?

Yes, lots of people keep their rabbits in runs or pens as long as she is safe. You can put a nice litter tray full of hay in there, maybe a small mat. A cardboard box for her to play with. I have a few rabbits in the house in pens. It is nicer than a hutch really.

The only thing is it's so cold in the garage and also hut, we usually put duvet etc over her hutch when in garage, just worry she will b frozen

Is anything disturbing her at night such as prowling cats, rats, mice, fox or even birds swooping overhead? This could trigger thumping.

She is probably lonely, territorial and hormonal and frustrated as I mentioned earlier:

you need to get her spayed, get her a companion, and give her more space and exercise and I would also recommend more time consuming feed - ie up the hay and lower any pellets.

You say she is getting older but how old is she?

and how large exactly is your 'large' hutch and does she get to run loads every day?

Back