• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Safety warning about an enclosure - please read

Sorry to hear about your bunny :(

I have one of these runs - although I don't use it as a run - I use it all opened up as a fence across the garden, but have had no problems (apart from i have had to cable tie the sections together as the welds broke, and ive had to cable tie the doors shut as tia worked out how to open them.

So sorry to hear about your poor bunny and all the others.

I've realised that I use one of these runs for my indoor pens. I was studying sections of pen last night and I have a divide between two pens made up of different run panels, looking at it I realise how much wider apart the upright bars are on the dangerous run as opposed to the (hopefully) safe ones. As Erin was begging at me last night and clambering up the panel I could see just how possible it would be for her to get her head fast between the bars :cry::cry: It had never occurred to me before that it was wide enough for that... even though I can put the whole of my hand as far as wrist though I still hadn't realised a bunny head could get stuck in it.

So thank you so much for warning us all - you will undoubtedly save some rabbits by getting the word out.

Please if anyone can, share the warning, and let other friends, forums and facebook pages be aware of the possible dangers. The more poeple who know, then the better. Thank you.

Should this be a sticky or something? It really needs to stand out. I have seen these and never ever realised about rabbits heads getting stuck. :cry:

Tulsi, what is a sticky?

(I haven't done any forums before, I am just trying to get word out there is every means possible about possible dangers)

Tulsi, what is a sticky?

(I haven't done any forums before, I am just trying to get word out there is every means possible about possible dangers)

A normal thread just moves down the list if it hasn't been posted on recently and more current ones appear at the top. A "sticky" is a thread that is 'anchored' at the top of the list because of it's importance. I totally agree with Tulsi this is so important everybody needs to know the dangers.

I had heard of incidents before but put them down to freak accidents, it's blatantly bad design by the number of cases being reported.

There have been threads about these runs before, so many people have had bunnies with injuries due to getting heads stuck and another poor bunny had its leg broken by a fox as the fox was able to grab the buns leg through the gaps :cry:

Our Dumpling got spooked and got her head stuck and was screaming. Luckily I was next to her when it happened and got her out immediately. I had to bend the bars to do it. A few more seconds and I am sure her neck would have been broken.

Checked the pen we use around the outside of the shed for when the bunnies are away and we don't want them lolloping off and it's a similar width (from the same manufacturer). Time to back it with some mesh I think. :?

OMG :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I couldn't see the customer image when I was on my phone. I've just looked on the laptop and omg I cannot believe that the bars could be that wide apart and that flexible that something like that can actually happen:shock:! I feel sick. Poor poor bunny. :cry::cry:

The worst part is the manufacturer probably doesn't care one bit because after all its "only a rabbit" and they probably think no one can really sue them because rabbits are a "cheap" "disposable" pet. :cry:

Its heart breaking. :cry: Thank you for getting the word out there. Lets hope this thread saves some rabbits lives.

Has anyone actually spoken to bunny business about this? Because I've spoken to them on the phone before and they were great. I wouldn't bet on them monitoring their products on amazon though.

Jemjabella, yes, I have contacted the seller (Bunny Business) via email, several times, so far they have said nothing is likely to be done about it, as bars are a standard width. They have been fairly dismissive, but then email isn't always the easiest way to tell. SSPCA have advised I take it up with trading standards, which I have just looked up the number for.

If people can keep sharing the dangers, we might just save another one being hurt. I feel very guilty as I didn't think it was possible, when I first heard about it happening to a small rabbit, and dismissed the chances of her getting caught between the bars, I hadn't seen the photo on Amazon, and I think that is more hard hitting than any review written.

My wee bunny is getting there, this was all made worse as her sister died a few days before hand from bloat. We thought Isis had stopped eating and went into stasis due to grief, after several vet trips, routine/expolritary dental, then being referred to vet hospital, as she still wouldn't eat a week later, they gave her full body x-rays and found that her jaw was broken. My poor wee bunny has suffered so much and I really want to do everything I can to make sure no others have to go through the same :(

That is awful :(

Please can you add a *warning distressing image * to your first post.

Thanks for raising awareness, i just can't get this imge out of my head:(:(:(

I've mentioned these types of runs on here before, I used to have one. The rescue center I got my second bunny will not rehome to you if you have one of these runs, I had to change it to a wooden and welded mesh run. You can see why now !

terrible. for anyone who cannot see the photo looking at the (late) rabbit i would have said her head was far too big to go through bars- her head looks double the width of the spacing but... those rubbish things are flexable - she's somehow managed it then its snapped back to striaght leaving her to strangle to death. Wire or bars on runs MUST be strong, close together and rigid. flexable is a death trap.

I have one of these and have had no problems for the last two years but I won't be waiting for a problem, I will certainly be getting rid or lining for use next year, thanks for the heads up

terrible. for anyone who cannot see the photo looking at the (late) rabbit i would have said her head was far too big to go through bars- her head looks double the width of the spacing but... those rubbish things are flexable - she's somehow managed it then its snapped back to striaght leaving her to strangle to death. Wire or bars on runs MUST be strong, close together and rigid. flexable is a death trap.

mine isn't flexible, have just been out and tried to prize two bars apart but can't but I still won't be taking any chances from now on

That is awful :(

Please can you add a *warning distressing image * to your first post.

Thanks for raising awareness, i just can't get this imge out of my head:(:(:(

Fluffs, I have added a warning, just above the link. I really didn't want to upset anybody, the image is awful, but it shows a really clear picture of the problem, and I think it is important as it shows the size of the rabbit as well. (sorry)

Back