• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Safety warning about an enclosure - please read

I was horrified when I realised it was the run I had for Doughnut. I've now meshed it all. I've never had any trouble but wouldn't want to risk it. Feel better now it's all meshed.

I had this run for 2 years with no problems. Didn't think a giant bunny could get it's head through those bars but what do you know. RIP Barney x

That's good, of course. The other ones had no problems either - until ...

it's beyond me... I struggle to even force my hand through the wire gaps... obviously people must have bought the cheaper versions which flex easily...

it's beyond me... I struggle to even force my hand through the wire gaps... obviously people must have bought the cheaper versions which flex easily...

I struggle to get my hands through the bars too. Barney was absolutely terrified by a cat and the force he fled in meant his head went straight through and then he pulled himself out again. Is there a cheaper version? Because they all look the same to me.

Is there a cheaper version? Because they all look the same to me.
I don't think it matters: I reckon mine would go through the one I've got. I can get my whole hand and most of my wrist through but I have tiddly hands, Matt can get about half a hand through. The bars are stiff but can be bent with enough force: even I can temporarily move them (i.e. not bend them into a new position) to get the tubes in and out. That's one thing it is good for, holding the tubes in place!

I can't see any point at all in taking the risk - I would only have a permanently attached wooden run, which affords better protection in every way.

I can't see any point at all in taking the risk - I would only have a permanently attached wooden run, which affords better protection in every way.

:thumb:

I've meshed mine up for now as waiting for my new run to be made. Should be dispatched next week. Sooner the better :D

Doughnut only goes out in hers if the weather is nice and then it's only a couple of hours. She seems to prefer me to pick the grass for her which I do daily. The bars are really stiff but I guess that's why if they get their head stuck they can't get it out. There's no way Doughnut can get hers stuck through now it's meshed.

So much unnecessary heartbreak from these evil things. I'm so glad I clicked on this thread at last; my bunnies have no enclosures / pens so I assumed there was no need to read it but this is something every bunny owner needs to be aware of. I'm also pleased i didn't click on the picture.

My heart goes out to the many many people on this thread whose bunnies have been lost or suffered :(

I assume all bunny boarding & rescues will be well aware of the risks?

So much unnecessary heartbreak from these evil things. I'm so glad I clicked on this thread at last; my bunnies have no enclosures / pens so I assumed there was no need to read it but this is something every bunny owner needs to be aware of. I'm also pleased i didn't click on the picture.

My heart goes out to the many many people on this thread whose bunnies have been lost or suffered :(

I assume all bunny boarding & rescues will be well aware of the risks?

Not necessarily. Even people who are aware of the risks continue to use them. Incredible I know.

Not necessarily. Even people who are aware of the risks continue to use them. Incredible I know.

Exactly what I was about to post. I know there are people on here who say that they use them and have never had a problem! I just don't get it.

Thankfully I never came across this run when looking for one. Almost in tears seeing that picture of the poor bunny.

The poor bunnies that have suffered at the hands of this badly made run.
There are so many out there at a similar price that are so much better quality. Just doesn't make sense.

I emailed a Liverpool rescue as they had these on their amazon wishlist. They just thanked me and said they would look into it :roll:

I emailed a Liverpool rescue as they had these on their amazon wishlist. They just thanked me and said they would look into it :roll:

I hope they dont get their own head stuck in the process. Mind you, they might get the message if they did........................

Back