• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions about rabbits?

Ilovepets

New Kit
I might be getting rabbits in march for my birthday. I have a few questions:

1. What makes a rabbit hutch fox prof?
2. What do you do with rabbits when you go on holiday?
3. What's the minimum size hutch a pair of rabbits should have (in cm please) ?
4. Do rabbits need to go to the vet other than for spaying/neutering?
5. Will fake grass affect rabbits if they are on it?

I might be getting rabbits in march for my birthday. I have a few questions

I will answer what I can but I have indoor bunnies so lets see-

Foxes are very crafty- they can undo latches and bad quality locks or bolts. They can also break the wire mesh if it is not strong enough and they try hard enough.
They can also dig under the hutch/run.
So what I would do is- get a wendy house and reinforce it by means of digging down deep and create a stone/paved bottom and sides then put the wendy house inside. You could do this with a hutch or run.
If I was using a hutch setup I would reinforce the wite mesh by putting extra layers of really strong galvanised wire over it.
Also all locks should have a strong padlock.

In regards to holidays- we dont have them :lol:
In the past when we lived closer to family or with family they would watch them.
There is also the option of bunny boarding, there are some great boarders around but my buns get very easily stressed so it would not be fair on them to put them in boarding.

Size of hutch and run I cant say to be honest.

Yes rabbits need to go to the vets for other things too-
Vaccinations are soooo important! They need to be vacconated against both myxomatosis and VHD.
They also need general heath checks and teeth checks as well as claw clipping. I aim to see the vet at least every 6 months.

The grass I dont know.

Hope that helps.

I have outdoor bunnies. My hutch is 6' x 2' I'm not sure what that is in cm, about 200 x 80 cm I think. The hutch has a run attached to the front which I think adds extra security against foxes as it's made of strong mesh and the bunnies are shut in the hutch over night.

I have a friend feed mine while I'm away but I'd use a rabbit boarding place for more than a few nights away.

As Rach already said, rabbits need vaccinations and their teeth and nails checking. If they get ill it can be very expensive so a lot of people have pet insurance for their rabbits.

Not sue about fake grass, I can't see it being a problem as long as they don't eat it.

I strongly and sincerely advise you to get a charming and delightful longish haired Syrian hamster instead. smaller, cheaper, won't live seventeen years. Makes a wonderful characterful pet. someone on r u has just established one in a huge tank made out of a glass cabinet from ikea (might be aliduncan1) - you could have great fun making your hamster the best set-up in the universe. rabbits aren't particularly cuddly, they cost loads to keep and vet and they are a constant source of worry.
I share this with you just so you know in advance.

looking forward to seeing your rabbits photos when you get them. ;)

Minimum hutch size is 200cm by 80cm but it needs to be tall enough for them to stand up on their back legs without their ears touching the top. They also need a big 2 or 3 metre run attached. Most pet shops don't sell anything suitable so its hard to find what you need. A lot of people use sheds it wooden playhouses and aviaries which are great because you can go in there with the rabbits too.

I strongly and sincerely advise you to get a charming and delightful longish haired Syrian hamster instead. smaller, cheaper, won't live seventeen years. Makes a wonderful characterful pet. someone on r u has just established one in a huge tank made out of a glass cabinet from ikea (might be aliduncan1) - you could have great fun making your hamster the best set-up in the universe. rabbits aren't particularly cuddly, they cost loads to keep and vet and they are a constant source of worry.
I share this with you just so you know in advance.

looking forward to seeing your rabbits photos when you get them. ;)
:?

1. What makes a rabbit hutch fox proof?

Having them indoors :lol: There are some pointers in the housing sticky but you'd want a good, solid, well made hutch (or shed or playhouse) with a sturdy, well made run or aviary made with galvanised mesh (definitely NOT chicken wire) 19 gauge or better.

Most people here board their rabbits with a reputable boarder. It's not often that me and my parents are away at the same time but when we are we have friends who come in twice a day.

Again this info is in the sticky. The minimum is a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft hutch (1.8m x 61cm x 61cm) with an attached run of 8ft by 4ft by 2ft (2.4m x 1.2m x 61cm).

Yes they need a yearly jab and checkup.

I'm not sure but I would avoid in case they ate it and caused an impaction.

Padlocks on all doors (including the one's on the run) Putting the run on concrete or at least meshing the under side of the run. Check regularly for holes as well because the rabbits can escape or the foxes and ferrets can squeeze their way in. They are very intelligent animals, and can open bolts which are not locked. The turning latches that you get on most hutches are far to easy for cats and foxes to open, it takes a push with the paw, and foxes chew through chicken wire so you have to use welded mesh.
Family members normally look after mine - we are never all on holiday together so there is usually my Dad or brother staying in the house to do all of the necessary things.
6ft x 2ft which has been mentioned in cm here, with an attached run of 8ftx4ft - because of the larger indoor area provided by my shed my rabbits have a slightly smaller run, but it still adds up to the recommended amount of square feet.
Yeah - vaccinations every year, six month check ups to check on general health, teeth etc. Some rabbits need regular dental treatment, and your rabbits may have cases of stasis, parasites, skin problems, abscesses are common in rabbits too. It does become quite expensive sometimes, I spend just as much on the rabbits as I do on my dog.
If it is the grass made of plastic type material, then if they try to eat it yes, it could cause blockages or internal damage. I don't think it would be very comfy on their feet either so it would be best to try and keep them away from it.

Back