• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair

Jennjenn

New Kit
I have 2 buns, the one ( babs, female) was really aggressive, I'm pretyy sure she was abused.
When I first got her home she was really aggressive and she would snort and attack me. But now she's calm and a sweet heart.
She seemed lonely so I got her a mate, I choose a mellow super passive bun named Winston. You can walk right up to him and he doesn't move... he has the mentality of a cat.. So nice.

When the 2 of them met it was love at first sight. They have been together for a year now.

Long story short

I noticed a big scrape on my boy winstons back. If they were fighting wouldn't this of happened sooner? And wouldn't this continue to happen?

Today when I was hanging with my buns they seemed the same happy and lovey.

Has anyone had there Bun hurt themselves on there living space?

I searched for evidence of that but found nothing. That's why I think there was a fight :(

I'm just not sure how I should deal with this. I don't want to separate them. But I don't want my poor boy to get beat up.

Has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks,

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk now Free

After my girls had been chasing each other at meal times and I had found a small wound on one of their backs, I asked about it on here.

As they were normally quite happy with each other, and it only being mild chasing they were left together rather than separated. There have been no injuries since. It was suggested that it could have been an accidental scratch with the nails when they were playing, is this a possibility with your rabbits? Do their nails seem sharp to you at the moment?

I wouldn't worry to much if they don't seem to be fighting but keep a close eye on them just case, maybe trim their nails and double check that there is nothing they could hurt themselves on. Is there any sharp pieces of wire on the run, or splintered wood? Run your hand around to check because once or twice I have noticed sharper areas of mesh that needed to be sanded down and bent in.

My rabbits have full range of my unfinished basement. But everything is In plastic containers and the it's really open. I thought maybe by the hot water tank. But there was no evidence there. ..

Im not 100% on clipping rabbits nails that could be it. Is it like clipping cats nails? Clippers and all?

I think you'd find more evidence of a fight than you would if he'd caught himself or burnt himself on something. There would be a lot of fur if they had had a fight.
I have had an "accidental" bite with one of my buns, but it was on her foot. I think her husbun, Fiver, had nipped her foot to move her, but did it too hard. It got infected almost immediately and she was very sore for a while. Fortunately it didn't affect their bond, and she is all healed up now.

I hope he is ok. If it is quite bad, he will need to see a vet for antibiotics to prevent infection. :)

I have been using this antibiotic soap for cats. My vet said it was ok. Its just a scab now I clean it everyday

My rabbits have full range of my unfinished basement. But everything is In plastic containers and the it's really open. I thought maybe by the hot water tank. But there was no evidence there. ..

Im not 100% on clipping rabbits nails that could be it. Is it like clipping cats nails? Clippers and all?

Ah so it won't be mesh at all then. Still maybe a double check and run your hands over everything, a sharp piece of plastic or a metal piece on the tank is a small possibility.

es you can use cat nail clippers, they are a great size for bunnies. If you are unsure it might be best to get a vet to show you how because they can wriggle quite a lot. But if you are confident with cat's nails it is very much the same (minus the retractable claws) just cut off a little bit of the nail, be careful not to cut the quick and have a styptic pen on hand just in case.

Back