Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone leave their rabbits out at night?

Default Does anyone leave their rabbits out at night?

For those who have rabbit housing with runs attached, do you leave your rabbits to run in And out of their run/house 24 hours??

If so how do you keep them warm in the winter?

I usually shut willow in about 10pm and he's let out by 7am.

There is a reason I'm asking, it's not random!

Join my friendly RABBIT Facebook group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/657538310931670/

Mine have 24 hour access. They have an insulated bed area in the shed so they always have somewhere warm to go if they want to.

Ours are kind of chalets which are boarded at back and roofed but with mesh at sides for two thirds of the way along and meshed fronts - there is a raised hutch area within this if they want to go in it.

We do leave them out in these - the chalets have floors and they are entirely covered in aubiose and hay bedding - if they felt cold they can snuggle at the back or go in the hutch or (as they do when its very cold) go up on top of the hutch which have flat roofs and act like a further level

The most important thing to keep them warm is each other and most of ours are in groups of 3/4 or 5
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

Mine are out 24/7 I give them somewhere warm and snuggly and they can use it if they choose. They normally do actually, soft buns!

Buns actually prefer the cold to the hot and are very good at keeping themselves warm, as long as they are healthy and have a dry, insulated snuggly place stuffed with hay or straw they will be fine. Plus if a run is secure enough for unsupervised daytime use then it is safe enough for night time too, or rather vice versa as foxes cats ect can visit at any time!

Oh!!!!!

Thanks for replies.

I shut willow in because I worry about foxes not that I've actually seen one in the garden
    I thought that's what everyone did??!
    I feel like a bad mummy now, should I let him have the access 24/7 then??

Quote Originally Posted by Willowsmum View Post
    Oh!!!!!

Thanks for replies.

I shut willow in because I worry about foxes not that I've actually seen one in the garden
    I thought that's what everyone did??!
    I feel like a bad mummy now, should I let him have the access 24/7 then??
    depends how absolutely fox proof your runs are.

Our 'chalets' (combined run and hutch all roofed) are pretty much 100% fox proof and have solid roofs and solid floors, large bolts and padlocks, but we also have all of these chalets (we have 7 of them) placed inside an area which is in turn fenced with 7-8ft high aviary panels with four runs of electrified fence wire running at ground level, part way up and around top, and fox watches placed around that. The area is not roofed as it is so large (11mx11m) but the combination of electris fencing (it oacks a punch) and foxwatches should keep them out anyway - so they dont get to come close to the chalet runs.
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

Quote Originally Posted by parsnipbun View Post
    depends how absolutely fox proof your runs are.

Our 'chalets' (combined run and hutch all roofed) are pretty much 100% fox proof and have solid roofs and solid floors, large bolts and padlocks, but we also have all of these chalets (we have 7 of them) placed inside an area which is in turn fenced with 7-8ft high aviary panels with four runs of electrified fence wire running at ground level, part way up and around top, and fox watches placed around that. The area is not roofed as it is so large (11mx11m) but the combination of electris fencing (it oacks a punch) and foxwatches should keep them out anyway - so they dont get to come close to the chalet runs.
    Wow, can I see some photos when you have time please?

Unless the temperature drops below about 8 degrees, Daisy and Digby can go in their run 24/7. They actually don't bother that much though, they're quite lazy if it gets colder than that, I close off the run, but only because they don't have a proper cat flap - they just have a fleecy flap made from blankets, as they were scared of the cat flap so it wouldn't keep the cold out

Rest in Peace my little Honey-Pie, I will love and miss you forever sweetheart xxxxxxxxxxx

Ours stay out 24/7 and some of them are elderly or disabled. They have aviaries with playhouses inside. The playhouses are insulated and have built in sleeping areas.

Wise Old Thumper Georgeypudding's Avatar

yep, currently the shed door is wide open so they come and go, when winter arrives there will be a cat flap in the shed door so the shed will stay fairly warm