• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternative bedding?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Can anyone recommend or suggest anything I can give my hutch bunnies to keep warm in winter, other than straw or hay? I know a lot of the indoor buns use cat beds and things, I was wondering if I could put a domed cat bed in their cosy areas but I'm worried it would just get chewed? I'm reluctant to use straw/hay as I don't want them to start weeing in different areas. Also, last year Heidi and Dash just dragged loads of hay and straw out of their bed, all over the hutch then made several toilet areas :roll: making clean out a pain. I know bunnies (or any animals for that matter!) will make mess and their welfare is more important but I'm determined to keep the hutches as low maintenance as possible!

Do your buns chew a lot? Ash has vetbed indoors, but she doesn't/can't chew it so it works for us. It's probably really warm in the winter, although I imagine anything fleecy would work. Vetbed is good for buns who are litter trained, although it is quite pricey, even if they have an accident it doesn't stay damp and is machine washable.

I'm going to get a cube cat house for Charlie, if she chews it then the cat can have it :lol: or Poppy! They're only about £5 so not a massive expense if she does. Maybe you could try it and if they chew then maybe Mr Hammy can have it as a play thing! :lol:

I'm going to get a cube cat house for Charlie, if she chews it then the cat can have it :lol: or Poppy! They're only about £5 so not a massive expense if she does. Maybe you could try it and if they chew then maybe Mr Hammy can have it as a play thing! :lol:

Have u got a link? Not sure what u mean!!

Do your buns chew a lot? Ash has vetbed indoors, but she doesn't/can't chew it so it works for us. It's probably really warm in the winter, although I imagine anything fleecy would work. Vetbed is good for buns who are litter trained, although it is quite pricey, even if they have an accident it doesn't stay damp and is machine washable.

I don't know about H&D but Summer and Skye chewed some cushions I gave them last year. I would hope that something that sort of fits in the space so its more of a snug liner than a bed they'd just want to chew up!

What about asking on free cycle for fleecy blanketts or old duvet s to cut down for bedding

I don't mind buying these things if they r likely to work and not just be chewed up or ignored! And also want to be sure things r safe if they were to chew them...

I'm pondering the same thing :D I use some fleecy vet bed stuff from B&M on top of newspaper for mine, I cut it into 2 so I can keep washing it when they wee on it. Apricot and Ginger are worse for weeing on it, although since their spay they are much better. Dandy and Beano are really quite bad for chewing but they havent chewed the vet bed :D they do move theirs downstairs and I've even seen them bring a small piece I gave them down the runaround pipe :lol: and I've caught Dandy bunching it up and humping it too :shock:

Back