• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay or Straw for bedding ? which is more warmer ?

I use both. My two don't sleep in the "sleeping area" (they use it as their bathroom) so instead I've made them a snug in another part of the hutch where I've pile in a load of straw. I then place a layer of hay on top which they love to munch on and in the hope they don't eat the straw. When I do a clean out, there's never any mess in the snug and all the hay is usually gone. Daisy sometimes like to pull the hay from their litter tray in the "bathroom" and puts it in the snug. I can hear her digging and pulling at the hay from the litter tray, she loves "rearranging" the furniture in the hutch.

Straw is technically a better insulator than hay so will be warmer, but it has no nutritional value to rabbits. Realistically, I find it is easier to just bung in loads of extra hay so they can also eat it and you only have to store one type of bedding. Hay on its own is a very good insulator anyway. Grass contains a lot of water so will not make good bedding as it will feel cold and wet and will go mouldy quickly - much better for eating fresh.

A friend to snuggle up with also makes a huge difference if the bunnies are outside in winter.

I use both. My two don't sleep in the "sleeping area" (they use it as their bathroom) so instead I've made them a snug in another part of the hutch where I've pile in a load of straw. I then place a layer of hay on top which they love to munch on and in the hope they don't eat the straw. When I do a clean out, there's never any mess in the snug and all the hay is usually gone. Daisy sometimes like to pull the hay from their litter tray in the "bathroom" and puts it in the snug. I can hear her digging and pulling at the hay from the litter tray, she loves "rearranging" the furniture in the hutch.

ur buns are really cuuutee,,say hi to them :)

Straw is technically a better insulator than hay so will be warmer, but it has no nutritional value to rabbits. Realistically, I find it is easier to just bung in loads of extra hay so they can also eat it and you only have to store one type of bedding. Hay on its own is a very good insulator anyway. Grass contains a lot of water so will not make good bedding as it will feel cold and wet and will go mouldy quickly - much better for eating fresh.

A friend to snuggle up with also makes a huge difference if the bunnies are outside in winter.

thankyou much!! its helped,,

Last edited:
Back